Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend?

lindaoh_gw
12 years ago

I finished a quilt top today. I had 12 red, white, & blue blocks that I made several years ago. They were from a BOM at a local shop. I used the BQ2 pattern for the setting. It went together quickly.

I have blocks from the birthday exchange at this forum in 2006 and I may use the same setting for them. I forgot that I had these blocks packed away!

This year I want to use fabrics from my stash and finish lots of UFOs.

What are you quilting this weekend?

Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (33)

• calliope
    12 years ago

I just finished an impromptu quilt (term I used for those I hadn't intended on making, but just evolved) and it's on the bed now. I used Marsha's (Magothyriver) method of binding it to see how it works and I'm glad she posted her method. It's 88" x 88" and managed to use up almost all of five pieces of material I'd have never used on anything else, but looked great together. I still have about 1/4 or less of the quilt on the frame to finish up, but the arthritis in my thumb won't let up and it's too painful. So I made a short jaunt to the fabric shop to pick up a few pieces I need for future lotto blocks and was working on one today. I'm about up to August's blocks and way ahead of schedule....they've been so fun to make, I can't seem to switch gears.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I'm finishing up a quilt top I found in one of the drawers in my sewing desk. There's no pattern, just a lot of different sized squares and rectangles I through together apparently to clean up some odds and ends. I bought some quilted batting at joanns the other day and am using that to finish it, so I thought I might use the paper piecing method (but on a quilt-sized scale) to finish it up. We'll see how it goes and how it turns out.
    Dan

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I think it's interesting that more and more are planning to use up stash. At the price of cotton it's no wonder! I finished making all of the diamond blocks yesterday for the bordered diamonds quilt. Looks like I might be in the sewing room this weekend sewing them into a top. Woke up with sore throat and signs of sinus problems this morning - DH has been sick for 3 weeks with sinus/bronchitis and now it's finally getting me I'm afraid. Anyway, the diamond quilt looks simple but the borders around each diamond were very tedious. Also, I have decided that I really need a design wall, laid the blocks out on the bed and it wasn't big enough and the diagonal rows are harder to keep in order, wonder if DH can come up with a good, easy and cheap solution? Still haven't got the quilting design of this quilt decided, I'm pretty sure I will be using the serpentine stitch on the narrow borders but haven't come up with something within the diamonds themselves.

• chickie1
    12 years ago

watching my grandson today but hoping to squeeze in some quilting during nap time. I hope to quilt the border on a blue & white irish chain or make a birthday block.
    Darlene

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I'm still working on my Quilt U appliqued flower project. The upside down applique technique is new to me, and I'm loving it!

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I took a vacation day yesterday and completely rearanged my sewing room. Everything out, cleaned, then everything back in. Now I have a much better arrangement and plenty of space to leve the cutting table up all the time. Then I filled a whole bunch of bobbins.
    Today I'll celebrate by doing some quilting.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I might make a few of the blocks from Bonnie Hunter's workshop - Virginia Bound quilt - it is scrappppppppy!

I really need to clean and get reorganized. Kate - I'm jealous of your rearranged, clean space! :)

It is dark and a winter storm is headed our way - we have reservations for a special dinner tonight - our treat - so I hope the weather doesn't get too awful.

calliope - how did you like doing the machine binding? It takes some practice, and you can't rush if you want it to look really nice. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I use a size 16 jeans needle to easily get thru all the bulk.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Finish a couple BOM blocks (Balkan Puzzle) from Craftsy.
    The pattern calls for making HSTs from two squares sewn together around all four edges, then cutting across both diagonals. Makes quick HSTs, but they are tricky to sew together, since all seams are on the bias.

Will also start the March lotto blocks.

Also have plans to start a Summer Bargello quilt...have all fabric purchased, and will start cutting strips to sew together in panels.

Julie

• calliope
    12 years ago

Julie............I use that technique for HST and love it. Find it's so much easier to get accuracy on the points, not to mention so much faster. Look at it this way, no matter how you do it, some of the seams are going to be on the bias anyway. If you make them by cutting a rectangle corner to corner between two seams, the other speed method, you are going to have the longest side of the HST (the hypotenuse) on the bias anyway and it's the longest single distance on your HST. I found that method on U-Tube in a demonstration by the Missouri Quilting Company. That's a neat site btw. I just finished making that quilt, a sun/shadow with 2048 HSTs using that method, and I'm sold.

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Julie, I am making the Craftsy BOM too. I did my HSTs the way I always do, with the Quick Qtrs. 2 tool.
    Is anyone else doing the Craftsy BOM?

Here is a link that might be useful: BOM blocks

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

I still haven't received my replacement bobbin case for my machine :(. It will be another week. But, I may be going back to work full time soon anyways. I don't know when I will have time to sew now! How do you full time gals do it? I have to take over the kitchen when I sew and it is tough when the whole family is home in the evenings and weekends.

Rebecca

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I have shirts to take in for my tall, skinny son and then finish up gathering three separate household's tax materials. If I get a chance to sew, it will be an applique project that suddenly showed up on my doorstep. It keeps calling to me. My needle finger is itching!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I arose at 9, walked by the machine with the April BOM pieces laying there.....next thing I knew it was 10:45. It didn't take all that time to sew the block, but I was getting a few UFO projects ready to work on. Make a couple Chocolate Stars BOM/UFO...need 4 more, plan to square up a few of the 20 X-string blocks (UFO) that are waiting....that just might be all I'll think about this weekend.

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    12 years ago

Marsha.......I loved the way the binding turned out using your method. I'm far from being skilled at it, but the seam you place the second seam over on the other side makes a great template to sew to. I used a stitch, prolly meant for blind hemming, and I purposely wanted the triangular stitching to show on the binding, so I used contrasting thread. I was very pleased with it and intend on playing with it further to see what kind of effects I can come up with. I like it being machined when I am doing 'everyday' quilts I know are going to be thrown in my wringer on a regular basis. Gosh, I hate to keep mending the hand-sewn bindings!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I finished the last potholder this morning and ran them to the P.O. I want to finish my last square for Lotto, but have to clean house! I seem to have a left a trail all week and I used to hate it when the kids did that when they were young. I could come home and just follow my daughter Mellissa's trail from walking in the door and dropping her backpack, moving on to the kitchen for a snack, working on the dining room table on some art project, moving to the computer desk for some homework,etc. I used to laugh because I couldn't believe how she could make such messes in such a short time. However, she was also my best cleaner and I really appreciated her. Go figure.

Hope everyone has a fun weekend.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Calliope,
    Yes, I also like the Missouri Quilt Co. and have learned a lot from Jenny (and others) on that site.
    You must be an expert after making 2048 HSTs with that method!!! I made two blocks, and I'm not pleased with the end result. Points match fine, but the final 12" square came out wonky. I would need much more practice on that "magic triangle" method before making a whole quilt!

Linda,
    I had not heard of the Quick Quarters 2 tool, so looked it up...what will they think of next? I've made HSTs by stitching 1/4" either side of a drawn diagonal many times, and I like that method much better.

Here's a YouTube demo for anyone who's interested:
    Quick Quarter II

Julie

• calliope
    12 years ago

Expert....LOL..........not hardly. I think I would have gone batty however, doing that many any other way and the fabric was all dark/smoky and very forgiving, so the wonkiness got trimmed out of it on each step, the 3" squares,again at the 6" squares and again at the 12 inch squares. I used a large enough square to begin with that by running a diagonal guided down each block, I could trim it with a template before moving on, so each would be 'unwonky'. I think there is no right way to do them, and each quilter has to find what works best for their own techniques.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

I went fabric shopping this morning at Blue Bamboo. I had purchased the backing and border for my turtle quilt, but I didn't have the fabrics to tie it all together. I found everything I needed and I'm so pleased. I also bought the book "One Block Wonders" by Maxine Rosenthal. Have any of you ever made a quilt with her method? It looks fascinating.

I came home and made one of the February Lotto blocks and tried to make the second one, only to find that the fifth 4.5" square had somehow disappeared overnight. I can't find it anywhere, and I don't have a cat or dog to blame. Of course, I don't have enought fabric to cut another square. Arrrgh! Maybe if I just ignore it, it will show up one of these days. I hope to get back to quilting my City Lights quilt tomorrow - after I go through all the mail that accumulated during our trip.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

This turned out to be a big sewing day for me! This morning I worked on the BOM I started 2 years ago and this afternoon I finally got the courage to start free motion quilting the poppies wallhanging. It's not done, but so far it's looking pretty good! Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm planning to spend part of the day doing what I love best: quilting!!!

Kate

• msmeow
    12 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KATE! Have fun sewing today.

Lois, check to make sure you didn't sew that extra square into the first block! I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally picked up 2 pieces at once. :)

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Donna~me too! The other very bad habit I have is grabbing something (fabric - block) to use as a book marker to mark the pattern and then the book closes on the small block & it is gone! I always look in books I am using. Also, my house is very dry during the winter, and 'things' stick to my fleece socks, and my fleece jackets. haha Check your clothes!

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Happy birthday to Kate!
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday Kate! Have a wonderful quilting!
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    12 years ago

So this is my Quilt U project so far. The class is called Flower Power and the new technique I'm learning is upside down applique.

I just finished the applique; now I have to zigzag around all the pieces. The final lesson is this Friday and she will teach us about thread painting and other embellishments as well as the best way to quilt something like this.

It's about 16 x 20. I'm not overly happy with it - it doesn't look much like the original photo. I probably should have chosen an easier flower than a pale pink orchid for my first try!

I've really enjoyed the process, though, and I will probably make other quilts like this.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Calliope,
    Thank you so very much about your tips to make large enough squares to begin with, so that you can keep trimming at every stage of the process...I will make a not of it on my BOM pattern:))

Kate,
    Wishing you a very happy birthday!!!

Msmeow,
    That is a gorgeous flower/foliage applique project!
    You are very talented! I love the colors you chose.

Julie

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

I also like the 2 squares and sew 1/4 around and cut. If I use starch to tame the bias I find they are very accurate and fast to make.

Linda I have that little tool and I use it on small scraps to make HSTs.

Happy Bday Kate!!

Love the block Donna! Since I didn't see what the original looks like yours looks perfect lol!!!!
    Rosa

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Lois, I can't wait to see the turtle quilt. The pattern was so cute.

Msmeow, we haven't seen the original pattern, so we have nothing to compare it with, so we can look at it with fresh eyes. I think it is lovely. I like all the different shadings of color you used. I'll have to look up what reverse applique is. LOL

Kate, a very warm birthday greeting to you. I don't know what kind of weather you are having, but we are having dazzling sunshine, just the kind that would be perfect to celebrate a birthday.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Bev, I don't know if Kate's around here today, but I live in the same town (Orlando, FL). We're actually having a bit of winter today! Bright and sunny but pretty windy. Started out upper 30s and I think we hit about mid 50s for the high. BRRR! LOL

Donna

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday Kate!! I'd sing for you, but really, no one wants to hear that.

Well, I was going to quilt, LOL. I sewed a little yesterday, the temps dropped overnight, so I went out to the studio to warm it up around 8 am this morning. I went out at 9, got some cleaning and cutting done before lunch. But my hands got really cold, and I was happy to come in and warm up.

At noon, we began having what the weather people had been forecasting - wintry mix of snow, ice, freezing rain. I had to shut down my studio. My path from house to studio is across the deck. It faces north and is about 6' above grade where I walk. It's going to be a sheet of ice in another 1/2 hour, LOL. This happens only every few years here in Central Texas, so we're not really prepared with heavy clothes, etc.

I'm going to stay inside. I have a pot of French onion soup simmering, the baguette sliced and toasted, the Gruyere grated and ready to melt. The ingredients for a salad are ready, and it only takes a few minutes for a simple vinaigrette. DH has a fire started, and it's lovely.

• susan_on
    12 years ago

I was going to quilt, and I got some squares cut out and started to sew. My sewing machine needed attention, so I took it about and cleaned out the lint. As soon as I finished, a friend dropped by, so no quilting got done today :(

• calliope
    12 years ago

Yes, Happy B'day Kate. Hoping you had a nice one. Winter? Let's not go there. Wind chills took our temps down to negative figures. Still can't complain, by and large it's been a really gentle winter with warm breaks between Mother Nature's tantrums. Mary C. In the not-so-distant future, my DD and SIL shall be heading for Central Texas to settle near my SIL's new job, they made an offer on a house, and it was accepted. She'll have to re-learn how to garden in such a different climate and I'm sure it will be a whole new and very exciting cultural experience.

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I wasn't sure what the weekend was going to bring...never do! But today was able to spend much of the day in the studio, off and on.

I stitched out samples of an embroidery design that DH & I were working on until we got to one we were both happy with. While doing that I reorganized and boxed up some projects and found some of the Fall fabric I thought I was out of! I replaced a 40" zipper in DH's snowmobile suit (that he wears on the motorcycle everyday to work). And I just finished another Jinny Beyer border fabric table runner (like Mom's) that I intend to keep for me.

Still have a long list of things to get done in the next few weeks, but I feel better for having gotten something (anything) done today! And, I have a few things to show off at Show & Tell tomorrow night.

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Mary, that soup sounds divine!! I might just have to make a batch tomorrow. That storm is headed our way tonight. I hope it's snow for us and not ice. Either way, I might get to stay home and sew tomorrow?!

I got a little quilting done, but not much. I had to clear off my desk so I can get my paperwork together for our taxes and that took half the day. Not fun!

Yesterday, I cut about 4 dozen circles (with my circle rotary cutter!) for my girl scout troop to make some felt fortune cookies tonight. I hope the girls have fun putting them together tonight. I found the pattern on Home Made Simple's web site. They're pretty cute. I hope they can get some extras made to give to Meals on Wheels for their food trays.

Robbi