Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

paper peicing problem

vacuumfreak
11 years ago

I found a great block to piece and it is a free design (some of you might even like it because it is of a vintage machine), but I'm having a bit of a problem understanding how to do part of it.

I'm going to link to it in the description below and I'm hoping that if any of you have any more experience with paper peicing than I do that you may be able to help me figure this out. The link is to the the blog of the lady that made the pattern and to see the pattern, you click on the blue text under the second to the last picture on the page that reads "Vintage Sewing Machine and Notions" and it will open in a PDF or google document file....

I've done the thread spool on top of the machine and I'm ready to do the background right above the machine and the machine body itself... so basically, if you're looking at the pattern, I've completed all the "c" and I'm moving on the the "d" section. The problem is that there is a straight horizontal line between the C and D sections and I don't know if I'm supposed to stitch on that line or not. If I don't then I will have loose material just "hanging out". The directions don't say that this something that should be made in multiple parts and then pieced together, and I can't determine when, if at all, I'm supposed to do anything with that straight horizontal line between sections c and d. I've had this problem with other patterns before too, so it's likely a problem with me not understanding something about paper piecing rather than a problem with the pattern.

Another thing that I had a problem with was the thread spool, and again this is a problem that I've had with other patterns. If you look at the spool, there are two horizontal lines and they go all the way across... when I sew on those lines, so I stitch all the way across, or do I stop where the spool ends? The line I'm referring to here is the one between c1 and c4 and again between c1 and c7 if you are looking at the pattern. If I can figure these things out, this will be a great learning experience for future projects as it has been a problem that has plagued me since I started paper piecing!

The link is below, and I really woud appreciate any advice you can give. I hope I explained the problem in a way that makes sense.

Here is a link that might be useful: Problematic paper piecing pattern

Comments (8)

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

The only way it makes sence to me is to sew the "c" section seperately and then attach it to the "d" section.
    The line under the "c" doew appear a little darker the the others to me but I am no expert. Perhaps others will have a better solution. Good luck.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Yes, the spool pieces are not numbered correctly (to me)...you need to sew the top, middle and bottom separately then sew them together. It looks like the same thing with section C and D - sew C to D to E, then F, G and H look like one section. I have no idea how she sews that K3 piece since it has an angle in it. I would either adjust the size of K1 to match up with the D and E seams or separate K3 into 2 pieces.

Good luck!

Donna

• karpet
    11 years ago

With paper piecing, you construct each section first (C1, then add C2, then C3 etc.) leaving a seam allowance around each section. When you have finished with the lowest section - in this case 'C', then construct the next section, 'D', then 'E', etc.

After all your sections are constructed, and they have a seam allowance all round, then you attach your sections together, like blocks, in the order from lowest to highest, so 'D' would be attached to 'C', then 'E' would be next, followed by 'F', etc.

Think of it as assembling blocks - the sections, and then assembling the finished blocks into a top. Hope this helps.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Yes, exactly as Karpet says. That's why the sections are numbered (sequence) and also alphabetically (sequence). If you go to the lowest letter, start sewing at the lowest number. Every segment, has to have some sort of seam allowance and why I ALWAYS do paper piecing on a foundation block. Oh does that make it easier to handle those tiny segments. That's what flip and sew is all about. You don't always have to literally assemble all the sub-blocks as a block, but in this pattern YOU DO. So, consider all the Cs a block to be sewn to all the Ds after you finish it as a block. The line between the C and D is simply where you sew the Cs to the Bs after you have constructed all the Ds.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

After reading her tutorial I realized that what she is calling paper pc. isn't the same as foundation pc..
    She is using freezer paper as a template and pc. that way. Check out her tutorial and you will understand what I am saying.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for helping me with that... the freezer paper method and Y seams just look too complicated! I think I'm going to start working on the pug (got the e-mail) and save this one for after I've gotten more advanced and had a glass of wine!

• Charise_Ann
    11 years ago

Hi Ladies
    I am Charise, the designer of the pattern.
    I revised the pattern a bit to make it more clear, but more importantly I created a schematic of how the block is put together.
    The link is here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61774120/Vintage.sewing.machine.Errata.pdf

I hope this makes it more clear. I've changed the numbering a bit, just FYI. I'm working on the revision but wanted to give you the "putting it together" section now since you are having issues.
    Please email me at charise_randell@yahoo.com if you have any questions.

Best Wishes
    Charise ; )

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Sewing Machine errata

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Sounds like you have received excellent advice...I have nothing to add, except good for you to attempt this paper piecing project. I've done just a few pp blocks and this one turned my head. Can't wait to see the finished project!
    V.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH