Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

Need baby quilt ideas

bev2009
12 years ago

I want to make a baby quilt for a friend and she is due in two weeks. I bought the fabric pictured in the link last summer in Nashville at the shop featured and would like to use it. Any suggestions for patterns that I could make up quickly? I was thinking of backing it with flannel. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woo's in the Forest fabric

Comments (19)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

My favorite is an Irish Chain. It goes together quickly and can be scrappy or planned.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Warm Wishes is another easy one....

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Warm Wishes info

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Large-size blocks sewn into Trip around the World?? That would be easy. I also like Irish Chain. Or Log Cabin. I like simple easy quilt blocks for baby quilts, also simple appliques.

• day2day
    12 years ago

Here are a couple of links.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby Quilt #1

• day2day
    12 years ago

Here's another one.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• new2quilting
    12 years ago

I have made the charity Quilts for Kids 4 patch pattern a few times. It is cute and goes together quickly. I have also made ones with just rows of fabric horizontally or vertically with border strips around for a quilt that showcases the cute fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilts for Kids patterns

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Warm Wishes makes a beautiful quilt.

Here's the one I use for baby quilts but I don't think I have a pattern. It's just random 6" squares and 6x12 rectangles put together, using 2.5" strips from a jelly roll. Really fast and easy.

Kate

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all your suggestions. I'll be sure to post when I get it done.

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Kate, I love that little quilt. It looks so comfy cozy! I think I over-quilted my first baby quilt and it seems a little stiff to me. I hope you don't mind my copying your photo so I can study it.

Best Wishes - Corinne

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I don't mind at all. I'm sorry I don't have a pattern to share with you, but if you have graph paper I'm sure you can work it out. I can't remember what I used for the batting but I think it was a very low loft poly, although it might have been flannel or even bamboo. (I really need to keep better notes!)
    The backing is Minky so the quilting was minimal stitch-in-the-ditch with a few curvy lines for interest. I love using Minky but for me it's difficult to free motion quilt on.

Kate

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finished the quilt this weekend! I only stitched-in-the-ditch because I haven't practiced free motion yet. It turned out to be kind of scrappy because nothing was planned ahead of time. I had to fussy cut the forest critter pieces but was short of fabric, so couldn't cut them exactly the same. I didn't have enough fabric for a border and ended up piecing the binding.

I was wrong about the baby's due date and he was born two weeks ago, so I am only a little late. It felt so good to complete something! Kate, I love the baby quilt you did. It's amazing how a few curvy lines add so much.

• User
    11 years ago

Superb selection of fabrics - absolutely adorable. I love the print. I'm sure this quilt will bring many comforting moments to both Mom and baby.

Well done!
    Cheers,
    Peggy

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Absolutely adorable, Bev!
    I don't think it looks scrappy at all.
    It appears to be a disappearing 9-patch pattern very well planned, with the small dark (teal?) squares placed diagonally, opposite in every row. Your fussy cut critters are darling.

I'm sure baby (and mommy) will love it.

Congratulations on a job well done!

Julie

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I love the woodland creatures fabric! Cute, cute, cute!!! Great use of the D9P! Super job!!!

Thanks so much for following up and posting pictures of the finished product.

Kate

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Bev, your quilt is charming. And the backing is so perfect for the top. Is is flannel? Very nice work. It will be treasured for sure.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Your quilt is very cute! baby will get many years of enjoyment out of this quilt. Job well done!

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. The backing is flannel. I have Who's in the Forest fabric in pink for another baby blanket, but no female babies expected so that will sit in the stash for awhile.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Nice job. I love D9P and was thinking about suggesting it but the others were such good ideas I didn't. Baby will love it. TFS

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Bev, awesome job on that quilt! Lol, it makes me want to go snuggle up in a blanket for the rest of the evening!