Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hand quilting on a standing frame

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 12 at 21:40

I haven't hand quilted in a few years, and then it was with a round lap hoop. I joined a group recently that quilts on standing frame, and I couldn't do it. For one thing, it was a lot tighter than my round hoop, but I don't know if that was the only problem.

How do you hand quilt when the quilt is in the frame tight? And what direction do you find it easiest, stitching toward yourself or away?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hand quilting on a standing frame

I have a standing frame and have hand quilted 2, 1 a king, and the other a queen sized quilt. Having done that I must say that I prefer to quilt on a round hoop in my lap which is what I am doing at the moment.
I found it more difficult on the tighter quilt but the greatest problem was with reversing my needle and stitching towards myself. It took a lot of practice to develop that technique.
It has been a while since I used the frame but I believe that it required more coordination between the hands as the needle was passed.
There are probable others that can answer your question with more current input but I think practice is probably one factor in developing a new technique.

o

Up until last year, I'd always quilted with a large oval lap frame. My DD lent me her floor frame on which my latest project is being quilted. I don't think I'll ever use a lap frame again. That being said, I had the same feelings as you until I'd put in some time on the floor frame.

Yes, it's harder to get used to the tight material if that's how the rest of the group prefers it. I find it easiest to quilt from top to bottom and right to left. The chair I use at the frame has wheels and I find myself shifting position often. I am not so sure I'd do well in a group, confined to a small area.

o

I've hand-quilted on 2 different standing frames (1 queen-sized and one lap-size). One was the hoop on a stand and the other was a square four-footed standard frame. My back can't take it now. And I wouldn't be able to do it at all on a tight hoop. I've also quilted in a lap frame and it's not much better. Now if I want to hand-quilt, I've learned to do it without a frame at all sitting in front of a large work table. My left hand can control and adjust the quilt much better and I can turn the quilt around easily and stay in the same spot, no hunching over a large frame. It took some time to get it but now I wouldn't try it in a hoop again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here