Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

At long last - Selah Ranch donation quilt!

mary_c_gw
12 years ago

Last May, I posted my intention to make a quilt for the Selah Ranch Preserve. I said I was going steal Rebecca's (Cannahavana's) design, and she was OK with that.

So I finished it yesterday!

It was a long haul, but worth it. The worst was the last four days - 352" of handsewn binding. Oh, now that looks really pathetic, LOL. ONLY 352 inches?? I don't hand sew at all quickly, and I do hate it.

Anyway, I will make the donation on Monday. I still have to type up a description and set a minimum bid. OH, and also worry that it will be "good enough", because I always do that.

The whole quilt on a full-sized bed:

Close-ups:

Label and backing:

Comments (23)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I've been waiting to see this. It turned out very well. I hope you get lots of money for them. Let us know how it does.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

It is beautiful! Good enough??? You betcha!
    The colors and design are very appealing to both men and women - very appropriate for the Ranch. It will be a successful auction. The lucky winner will receive a very heartfelt, unique masterpiece.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Very nice. I am fond of the color combination, they work so well together. I am sure it will bring in lots of money and it surly is GOOD ENOUGH!!. Great job as usual. Your binding is worth all that effort. TFS

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I shouldn't have posted the "good enough" comment. I get irritated when other women are reticent or denigrating about their own skills. It also looks as though I were fishing for compliments.

I should live up to my own expectations, as should we all. Of course it's "good enough". It's a handmade quilt. It's not factory produced item.

Thank you for the compliments!

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Mary, I think your quilt is beautiful. The colors are great; I love blues and browns. How kind of you to make such an incredible donation. I hate hand sewing the binding too. But it is very satisfactory to complete a project, and that is the final step. Good job. Lois

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

We all feel that 'is it good enough' thing. It's the curse of creative people; we can't help it.

The quilt is gorgeous as is your quilting! I've long kept a picture of Rebecca's quilt on the cork board in my sewing room and hope to make it some day too. It's Depression Block, right? Love it!

Kate

• day2day
    12 years ago

Your quilt is beautiful! I like the colors and the pattern.
    You did a great job.

The pattern looked familiar but I couldn't remember...or never knew...the name. Thanks Kate.

I understand the 'not good enough' feeling. I think we all get it. That's just being human.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful quilt.

~Geraldine

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

that turned out wonderfully! (is that a word?) I love how it looks on your furniture!

• msmeow
    12 years ago

It's beautiful, Mary! I hope the bidders appreciate the talent and workmanship and bid high! :)

Donna

• nannykins
    12 years ago

I too love the colours and I really like the way you worked the block in to the border. Sure to raise lots of money.
    Theresa

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

Nice work and I just love your color combinations, which makes it on the neutral side so anyone would be able to use where ever they desire.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I love the colors, pattern, and total effect. I hope it goes for a lot.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Absolutely stunning! And appealing to the eye. (Blues and browns always attract my attention anyway.)

I soooooo admire your FM quilting, and I hope I can acquire that same talent some day.

Your backing and border fabric is also gorgeous.

Julie

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Great quilt, Mary! Nice modern color choices! It will be a success!

Gwen

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Mary - I didn't view your comment as fishing for compliments, but instead as a genuine, personal judgement of its "worthiness" for the auction at this event. As an artist, you had the very difficult task to select the pattern and colors, and make all the decisions that would have broad appeal and make the unknown recipient thrilled to win a unique handmade quilt.
    I didn't read "good enough" as having anything to do with your skills ~ but more Thank Goodness-I'm done! :)
    I think it is exciting!

• fran1523
    12 years ago

It's beautiful. Great color pallet and lovely quilting. They are very fortunate for this donation. I hope it raises a ton of $$$.

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Love this! That has always been a favorite CT fabric collection and you have maximized it's beauty wonderfully!

Dee

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Mary, it turned out great! The one I made has been so far one of my favorite quilts. My husband saw your pictures and said "hey that looks familiar". :) I hope it brings the ranch a good sum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Depression block discussion

• calliope
    12 years ago

Wow.......what a beauty.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I love how we 'inspire' one another with our quilts. Good job, Mary.

SharonG/FL

• lola99
    12 years ago

I remember when you posted about this last May. I love your finished quilt. It is inspiring to see the finished project. I hope it raises a lot of money.

Lola

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Beautiful! My dh would especially like it, his favorite colors :-) I know it will bring in a lot of money!

Robbi

• imn2crafts
    12 years ago

beautiful,colors look so good together!!...D