Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stitcheasy2003

Quilted Fabric

stitcheasy2003
13 years ago

Hello

Please tell me how you make "pre-quilted" fabric? (quilted fabric)or if you know of a very good web site that tells you how to do it.

Thank you B.

Comments (7)

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I've seen it in fabric stores for purchase... is that what you are thinking of?

Kate

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

If I were to make it I would mark a grid on the top fabric with a rule and sandwich the layers and quilt the grid. Then I would use according to the pattern. I would sandwich as I would a larger quilt. Jayne

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

Jayne is right....just layer your backing, batting, and top fabric together....use pins or basting to hold together, mark grid lines and quilt or do free motion. Be sure to make this sandwich bigger than you will need for your item...it does shrink a bit with quilting. I do this for totes, handbags, and casserole cozies. This way I get the quilted fabric I want instead of what's available in the stores and usually for much less cost. Depending on what you are making, I sometimes use muslin for the backing, especially if it won't show and the item won't be machine washed.
    Just curious, what are you making?
    Murphy

• stitcheasy2003
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello
    I am making oven mitts. I am wondering if I should quilt them. For what reason to quilt them? I have seen sites that quilt them and ones that say optional. What do you think? Thank you B.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Oven mitts get washed frequently. The quilting will make sure the batting stays where you want it. You don't want to grab a pot from a 400ð oven and find out the batting isn't there!

Why not use Insulbright or one of the pre-quilted thermal products instead? You could still put whatever fabric you want on the outside, but you would have the assurance of having heat protection where it belongs.

Kate

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I made a purse recently that quilted the fabric, then cut and assembled the purse. I found a seam guide on the walking foot to be invaluable so I didn't have to draw a bunch on lines for the grid pattern. I'm currently working on a quilt for my grandmother that you quilt the squares and then applique on top of that. I again used the seam guide and it went very quick.

I also did some water bottle holders for Christmas presents and used the Insulbright at Kate referred to and again quilted the fabric. It works just like batting and goes very quick. I was able to buy it by the yard at Joann's and wasn't very expensive.

• murphy_zone7
    13 years ago

Oven Mitts....OK I too say quilt to keep the batting in place. And I too would use Insulbrite as the only batting. A big tip: Keep the "shiny" side of the Insulbrite toward the palm of the mitt. The shiny side reflects heat back to itself. I won't tell you how I know this, if you won't ask....lol I made insulated casserole cozies for Christmas and used the insulbrite....I quilted them to keep the insulbrite in place and because I think it just looks better quilted....MHO
    Murphy

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts