Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Official 2013 Group Challenge

jennifer_in_va
11 years ago

This challenge is open to any member of the forum whether they plan on coming to retreat or not. There is a maximum of 30 participants. Send me an email if you wish to participate with your real name, forum name and address. [I'm washing fabric now and will mail it out as soon as possible.]

Here are the guidelines:

Make an original 18" x 18" wall hanging/quilt. It may be a traditional quilt or an art quilt, whatever you prefer. Use a portion (or all) of the 10" sq. of fabric furnished to you.

The Windmill 2 block (link below) must be in your quilt. It can be tiny or the entire quilt. Your quilt should have a sleeve on the back for hanging. And should be a 'complete' quilt with 3 layers, quilting (of some sort) and binding.

Finished quilts are due by July 31, 2013 and mailed to Jennifer or Beverly (email for address if you need it.) [That gives you 6 months!!]

The plan is to hang the quilts at the quilt retreat in September where they will be voted on by unbiased viewers. A prize will be awarded for 1st & 2nd place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windmill 2 block

Comments (155)

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Now I'm really intimidated...Jackie's teaser is gorgeous, Kate is adding beads, Robbi is embellishing.. Linda is done and ....I'm on my 4th design..omg omg... the stress !@#$%^ :-) lol
    V.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, consider yourselves in good shape!! Your coordinator of this challenge hasn't even begun to work on hers!! She still has her original idea in her head, and if it doesn't work out, then it may end up being a potholder like the last challenge she did!

I will say this... You are all having way more fun & interacting more than anyone in my guild did when this challenge was put before them last year.

And really, you should be more upset that Nanajayne had hers done about 3 months ago!!! And, it's hanging in my sewing room!!! Baaahhhaaaww I know what it looks like! Nanny nanny boo boo.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

At least I know a store that has this yardage on their shelf. I can buy more!

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

LOL. I got it done so I could drop it off and have a chat. Those on FB could have a peek but that wouldn't be fair.

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

Yeah, but I'm still no where being done!! I haven't even started any embellishing. I hope to just have mine done. Love the teaser, Jackie!! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

Robbi

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

Yah, but Jen you can whip yours together, quilt it and add the sleeve, all while waiting for your tea to steep....

;)

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your vote of confidence. But keep in mind the last time I did this challenge, my 'quilt' ended up as an ugly potholder!

• Vanislegirl88
    10 years ago

Oh My...here it is July already. I'm done...just need to put a sleeve on it and get it into the mail....yikes. Time has gotten away from me.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aaaack!! I haven't even started mine yet! Guess I should have put this on my July To-Do list!

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Mine is done all except the sleeve. I figure I have until retreat to do that.

Jackie

This post was edited by jackier123 on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 18:21

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I hate to confess, but I haven't even started. I usually accomplish what I set out to do....eventually. However, I don't want to make this eventually....I want to make it on time. Monday morning I will get cutting and see what happens. I never thought I would win anyway, with all you very experienced quilters. I am just doing it for the fun. LOL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bev,

Don't panic! It's all just for fun! To explore those creative juices!

Btw, it was all my idea, and I haven't started either!

• Vanislegirl88
    10 years ago

LOL...yes, it better just be for fun or I'd be pretty embarrassed with what I made. DH likes it but I think it looks like an eight year old did it!! I did have some fun with it and tried some different things that I don't normally do.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Yes! Just for fun!

I was laughing about this last week because I showed my challenge project to 2 friends. One was obviously unimpressed and pointed out that I usually use more color in my quilts. I swear she almost fell asleep looking at it. That left me thinking I should completely start over because the stupid thing is BORING! Then 2 days later the other friend said "Wow! You use such interesting colors!" Wha....??? So, it's not boring it's... GAUDY? LOL - I think the boring comment was closer to the truth in this case, but it is what it is, somewhere between boring and gaudy depending on your taste and perspective. I had fun trying something new with the quilting so I've decided I'm going to be happy with it. It's not getting re-done.

Kate

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Didn't you know we are going to vote on most boring and most gaudy as well? I have been counting on that.

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Woo HOO!

• Vanislegirl88
    10 years ago

Mine is now in the mail and on it's way.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Well I finally did the top of the challenge quilt ...it's a start...the long 4th of July weekend felt like my challenge quilt marathon, but I will be done by the time the retreat rolls around, just need another long weekend of sewing!
    V.

This post was edited by littlehelen on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 20:02

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Ok, whew, just designed it. To the quilt shop tomorrow. I'm using several fabrics from my stash, but still need some for the windmill block. I'm going away for the weekend and having a bunch of company next Saturday and Sunday. If I get this done, it will be by the skin of my teeth. I really wish I didn't need the adrenaline rush to get me going. Hope I can sleep now. LOL

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Hoping for a miracle. Haven't even finalized the design and don't know how to scale down the block, but I'm going to try. Please send the information on the date and address to mail to.
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally got to working on mine. Didn't go with design #1 which I'd had all along. Went with something entirely different. Have the top done, just need to figure out how I'm going to quilt it.

Linda, you have some time still. If you need help scaling down the block, let us know what size you'd like it to be, and we'll try to help. We have quite a few good with numbers here!

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Thanks for the offer. I spent the whole day "almost" succeeding on one part, but back to the drawing board. Not sure yet if I want to size the wind mill 2 block to 3 inches or 4. Is there a formula. It's the triangles that always trip me up. At least those are 1/2 square.
    LindaB/CA

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

Kristy, package arrived yesterday. I had it half opened (I was VERY excited, I NEVER get packages) and then realized what it was, so I didn't open it completely. Now I gotta get mine done....

• Vanislegirl88
    10 years ago

Thanks for letting me know that you got it.

• Vanislegirl88
    10 years ago

Thanks for letting me know that you got it.

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

I'll be so excited to see the pictures!
    Jen, I hope you got my e-mail. I was in the hospital about a month ago and still awaiting surgery so I haven't made mine and not too sure I will make it to camp either, but if I don't I sure will miss all of you and I'll be following along from at home.
    Jeanne

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

Has the official retreat signup happened yet?

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Oh Jeanne, I hope we'll see you there! Be well!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeanne, Sorry I haven't responded to your email...this week has been BUSY! I'm sorry to hear of your health issues, and that you might not make retreat. Take care of yourself, and we'll save you a seat next year!

Faye~ I expect to put something out late next week for 'official' retreat signups...keep an eye open!

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Yet another head banging day working on the "CHALLENGE". I capitalized it because it sure is! Nearing the end of the quilt top itself, but it doesn't even vaguely resemble what I thought I was going to do. At one point today I felt like I was doing a jigsaw puzzle with a sledge hammer! Here's hoping there are no major snafus from now on. For a minute there I almost forgot to add the challenge fabric. Quilting this should add a whole new level of stress ;-)
    LindaB/CA

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Dear quiltnhen, I so enjoyed your post...you expressed my sentiments exactly! You are not alone... :-)
    V.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda, I'm sorry you've been 'head banging' :*( It was suppose to challenge everyone, to force everyone to think outside their comfort zone. It wasn't intended to cause undue stress.

I'm sure what you accomplish will be beautiful! And I can't wait to see it!

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Jennifer, Thanks for the help on sizing the block. I tried for a while to work out a smaller version and then decided I'd work with what you sent. It worked out fine.

Valarie, Good to know I'm not alone :-)

LindaB/CA

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

A quilting buddy helped me by resizing the block. We all agreed I probably never would have been able to do the math. :o(

Teresa

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

My quilt top ended up a tad too large. I made the actual quilt almost 18X18 and then it "had to have" borders to look finished ;-(

It will be about 21X21 once I bind it. If it's ok to send it just for viewing, since it doesn't fit the rules, I will.

It's been a good learning experience for me though. Gotta quilt it now. Maybe that will shrink it a tad!
    LindaB/CA

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, I did not complete (or should I say begin) the challenge. I'm sorry to let everyone down. I have spent every free moment in the garden and entertaining. I figure if I am going to do all this gardening, I need to share it. I had two groups over last weekend and I had send out a mass invitation to the garden, so I was busy giving garden tours as well. Tomorrow night and Saturday I have two more groups coming and then I think I am done.

The moral of the story for me is, don't plan on quilting much in the summer. I can't wait to see what you ladies have created! I hope you have a wonderful time at retreat.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,

you're just fine! I'm not a stickler a for rules (except for my kids lol)!

Send it along and it will hang with the rest!
    jennifer

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

bev2009

Pictures! Pictures!

Jennifer, Will do!

• colleenny
    10 years ago

I hadn't been able to sew due to the heat. I am working on mine this week. Colleen

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

The top of my challenge is done! Now to layer it and quilt it - which I plan to do sparingly. I thought I might try out my machine's "tie" stitch. Mine turned out "close" to the right dimensions. Close counts......right?

Teresa

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

With luck my entry will be in the mail this week! Bit of a disaster trying to quilt through the ironed on parts :-(
    My Babylock Jane refused! My Pfaff tried valiantly, but still skipped and sputtered. Now binding, sleeve and mailing.
    Onward! ever onward!
    LindaB/CA

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Oh boy, I can't wait until......oops!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, got the binding on mine today, so I'm considering it DONE! Amen.

Hope everyone else is getting theirs done...Can't wait to see them all!

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

I finally got my top done and have it sandwiched. I'm not good at the quilting part, so I'm a little nervous about that. It is supposed to rain all weekend, so I hope to get it quilted? Lots on the sewing list to do before the retreat.

Robbi

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

LindaB, I'm betting your quilt is closer to size than you think if you lowered those feed dogs and did a ton of quilting on it. LOL

Bev2009, Hope you've been able to finish the Group Challenge. I don't suppose a collage of your garden bounty with the challenge fabric dropped in there somewhere would work, eh? Would be a bit difficult to put a sleeve on it and hang from the clothesline...talk about thinking outside the box.....well......

You girls will be glad to hear I have been released to get glasses and the appt is Monday. :-) Then my off the wall 'chattering' will cease....maybe.

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    5 years ago

Jennifer, do you remember the name of the fabric? I've been using the piece for some scrap quilts and I just love it. I was hoping I could find it online.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bev2009~ I don't know if I have any information on it. Though I got it at JoAnns, it came in different color ways, and I might have seen it the last time I was there!! LOL. If I get back over there soon, I'll try to look and see what info I can find for you.

• bev2009
    5 years ago

Thank you so much! LOL I just got home from stopping at JoAnn's on my way home from work. I'll stop again tomorrow. I don't know what I'll use it for, but it makes me so happy to look at it.

• bev2009
    5 years ago

Thank you so much! LOL I just got home from stopping at JoAnn's on my way home from work. I'll stop again tomorrow. I don't know what I'll use it for, but it makes me so happy to look at it.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?