Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Completed R/W/B top

Soooo, here's what I've been trying to get done for a few months. No pattern....started with 5 inch squares and 3 inch squares for the star points. The borders: The red and white are flying geese blocks made for a mystery QOV that I made backwards so never finished the quilt. The blue and white were 7 inch HST blocks that I cut in half. Had to play with the corners, but I made it happen!

Comments (19)

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Very creative!! You did a great job of putting it all together. I like your choice of inner border, really ties it together and the flying geese border gives it a real lift. Like it. TFS.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Wonderful job. It looks great.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Wow, very nice! And a great use of the blocks you had!

• grammyp
    11 years ago

You are so creative. Nice job.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Sharon,
    You are so creative! You amaze me ~~ imagine how much sewing you would do if you weren't having eye problems.
    I love the borders you chose -- I just bought Judy L's book on borders -- I need to get more creative on my borders, a goal I set for myself a few years ago and largely ignore. LOL
    Great job using up what you had and making it work on this quilt.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Nice, Sharon! I bet it feels great to repurpose those blocks. As they say, it's not a mistake, it's a design opportunity! :)

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone....I would have liked to use the red and white all the way around but didn't have enough blocks and didn't want to make more. I thought afterwards, I should have had the blue go around 2 corners and fill in the rest with the red. Or............there are so many possibilities! Gives new purpose to all those left over HST blocks......now to get them all the same size! lol

Marsha, Today I woke up with the worst headache ever. Think I'll take it easy on my eyes for awhile, but I sure am antsy to get back to sewing on a regular basis. Suppose I could put the folded laundry away instead.......sigh.

SharonG/FL

• lola99
    11 years ago

Your quilt looks great and it is particularly impressive that you just used the left over blocks that you had. Nice job.

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Your quilt is beautiful!

The laundry can wait! Rest on your laurels!

Gwen

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Well done! Love Donna's comment...no mistakes, just design opportunities...love that and you proved it...now go rest your eyes!
    V.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love the borders. I'm like Marsha, I need to get a little more creative on my borders. Labels too lol!!!

The laundry is folded let it stay where it is and just rest. Hope you are feeling better soon, my alergies give me headaches and it is a pain in the butt.

Rosa

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Sharon, your quilt looks great! Very creative. I hope you are back to 100% soon. Lois

• bev2009
    11 years ago

You did a wonderful job of using what you have. It really all came together. Seems I need to join the creative border club, too. There is always another level to take it to, especially when you are a beginner. LOL

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Wow! Makes me feel lazy.

Your quilt is beautiful!

LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I think your quilt is really beautiful! Thanks for sharing a pic of it!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, friends. I went through the blue/cream HST's leftovers yesterday and got so frustrated thinking about getting them to the same size, I put them all back in the drawer. Laying in bed thinking about them, I've come to the conclusion they'll be made into pinwheels and placed similar to BH's Random Ohio Stars pattern. You know, whatever works. We'll see how it pans out. Now to find 'all' of the HST's....will be interesting to see what colors I have besides blue/cream.

Rosa, I'm lax on labels, too. Sometimes I end up just writing right on the backing as I do want something there.

My headache is minimal today, DGD came over from Orlando and we all had dinner together last night so that might have helped (I miss having her close by) and some of the laundry is put away. Today is another day..... :-)

SharonG/FL

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Love it, Sharon especially the red/white borders. It never ceases to amaze me the number of possibilities that HST's offer. I have been spending a lot of time looking at quilts on Pinterest lately and when trying to break down a particularly interesting pattern, it seems most times it's just a particular arrangement of HST's. Love them!

• chickie1
    11 years ago

I agree with all the wonderful comments you got. Very creative. Love the stars with the red, white and blue.
    Darlene

• day2day
    11 years ago

It's lovely!
    Sharon, nice creative touch with the borders.
    I really like the red/white/blue fabric that you used for the narrow border.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals