Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanajayne

QOD Wed. 2/2

nanajayne
13 years ago

Do you have a technique or skill that you dislike or have difficulty with?

I just finished a 6" block with 12 Y seams; 4 partial seams; and 4 curved seams. It convinced me that Y seams are not my favorite thing to do. Partial seam are too bad with something larger but these were not fun.

Jayne

Comments (13)

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Hand applique - after taking two classes, I still don't like it and I'm still not very good at it. Haven't finished any hand applique projects yet.....AND....I don't even care!

Teresa

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

I can do inset seams, partial seams, Y-seams, and curved seams. They aren't my favorite things, but I can and do do them.

Applique, however, will make me want to shoot random strangers - oopps, I probably shouldn't say that, LOL. But I will never do it - the applique, that is.

• tuppermom
    13 years ago

I'm with Teresa and Mary C...had applique is not my friend. If I must do applique it is with heat and bond.

Mary V

• lindaoh_gw
    13 years ago

I'm with all the anti-applique peeps. I have taken classes and never have finished a hand applique project. I don't like to do Y seam either. I will do machine applique and did a table runner each month last year with it. It's not my favorite but gets the job done.
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

I don't care for Y-seams and insets. I don't care for partial seams, but I can do them. I'm sorry so many of you don't care for applique. I love to hand applique but not itty-bitty pieces.....just takes me a long time. @:)

SharonG/FL

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

Applique and Y seams for me also!

• day2day
    13 years ago

Free motion quilting has been a toughie for me. I have practiced but can't seem to get a good stitch....very frustrating.

~Geraldine

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

You guys can send me all your hand applique work! It is one of my favs!! I've not attempted a Y seam, but they sound really nasty.

Robbi

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I'm with Robbi and Sharon. I LOVE hand applique. But I'm not crazy about using fusible with anything. It just seems unnatural. I sew on several machines without zig-zag so seldom do anything you have to machine applique around edges.

• love2sew
    13 years ago

Geraldine, I too struggle with FMQ. You might be interested in a FMQ Quilt Along we did at A Few Scraps. I loved her approach and I learned a lot. We made a sampler of stitches which I am hanging in my sewing room for a quick reference when I can't think of what to use.

• vicky4x4
    13 years ago

I have a problem with curved seems. They scare me!!!

I can do hand applique but it is SOOOO time consuming that I do the fuse and zigzag method mostly.

I also can paper piece but only if there is not a bunch of commotion around me. It's like thinking backwards or something.

Y seems and I haven't been introduced so I can not comment on them but I have to tell you the though scares me too!

Vicky

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

Although I'm not fond of Y-seams, insets, curved seams and hand applique, I can do it if I must. But paper-piecing?? My brain just can't wrap itself around it, no way, no how. Every time I've seen it on TV or in magazines, my brain instantly melts into a quivering mass of goo. I used to think that way about mitering bindings, but I finally mastered that one.

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Not overly fond of Y seams but I do them when I need to. Partial seams for some reason I really like (?)!
    I love to machine applique - started w/zig zag, but I now use a button hole stitch almost exclusively - I like the way it looks better & it's way less thread! LOL
    I have not done much w/curved seams, but I have several patterns using them that are on my 'to-do' list. Just hope I live long enough to get to the list! I have to finish at least 6 WIPs before I begin a new project! - Self inflicted rule!!

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner