Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

Lighting? Ott?

susan_on
12 years ago

I was wondering if anyone here uses any Ott lighting, or any other type of extra lighting. I've been researching and was surprised and disappointed to see that the Ott lights/lamps have numerous poor reviews. I did do a search on this forum, and saw a short thread on lighting from 2010, so I wanted to ask again to see if anyone has anything new to add. I really need some supplemental lighting.

Comments (8)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I have a desk top flip-up Ott. It's ok but I think there's something better out there. I bought my DH a floor model similar to an Ott....can't think of the name right now, and it's excellent! I'll check for the name the next time I get up......if I remember......sigh.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

This light will be the best 10 bucks you ever spend!
    I am serious - I have 3 of them and 2 clamp on.
    At a recent workshop given by Bonnie Hunter - she pointed out to everyone I had the the most terrific light ever!
    She uses them , travels with them, and was going to stop at Ikea on her drive home to look at the floor light and buy another.
    I have several OTT lights - I use them, because they are so darn expensive - but I really love my $10.00 light from Ikea. It is flexible, and you can point it exactly where you need additional light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Light

• nanny98
    12 years ago

I have answered before....Love my 4 OTT lights. Some are better than others, it seams....but I have been lucky I guess. One of mine burned out and replacing bulbs from Wallys just burned out immediately, so cashed in a half off coupon at Joann's (and got the real deal @ $15. or so) and we are living happily ever after. Original one is still wonderful after 8 years or so in our Motorhome so it travels.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

The Otts are fine but check out the price of replacement bulbs before you decide to buy one.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I have a desk and a floor ott light. Like them both. Have had them for several years without bulb replacement. They are expensive. I also have an industural clamp on that I uses by my sewing machine that clamps to a shelf edge. Really like it. That was taken from my DH workshop.
    The Ikea light looks great. Where are they available?
    Would like to check them out.

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I have two, one I just got for Christmas with the magnifier. If you spend a lot of time sewing they are supposed to be easier on the eyes. The best use for them for me is when I do landscape paintings in pastel because they produce a more natural full-spectrum light so that you see the colors truer. In other words, when you work under these lights, the art looks more natural when displayed on the wall. I do think that they are very expensive and so are the replacement bulbs, I know there are cheaper alternatives out there if you look.

• susan_on
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I really need better lighting for my quilting/sewing and cookie and cake decorating. If I buy an Ott light, I will use a 50% discount coupon; but I will keep looking at other brands.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

If you don't have an IKEA close to you, the light can be ordered on line. I have one by my reading spot in my sewing room and love it. Very directional and very bright. I don't have a clamp-on one tho and now I think I may need a couple!

(MRG - we should probably NEVER go shopping together! I think we like too many of the same things and would be a bad influence on each other!)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor