Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missflippins

Inspired by the 2012 February Block Lotto

missflippins
12 years ago

I liked the look, and the wonderful colour combinations of your February block lotto, that I made three blocks. I didn't want to waste them and don't feel I'm far enough advanced to join in the lotto, so I put the three blocks to use for a table runner (again!!). Here is how it ended up - I'll admit it does look like it's missing something without another layer of blocks. And, don't look too closely at the quilting - especially the straight lines.

Best Wishes - Corinne

Comments (12)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

They certainly look good enough to join in the lotto. Remember we aren't all experts and experienced. Many in our group are beginners as well. Just be brave and jump in there.

Critical things to remember, 1/4" seams and try not to cut off points (which you didn't!). Yours are just fine. Nice job.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Definitely join the Lotto! You will learn so much and have an opportunity to make 1 block (or 3) and ask questions and get immediate answers if you need help about color, fabric choice, pressing.....anything you may want to ask! And, you may just win a bunch of blocks!
    Your blocks look excellent!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Looks to me like you did a great job, with the blocks and with the quilting. And can I say that I'm thrilled you were inspired by the lotto? I am!!!

Kate

• calliope
    12 years ago

It's lovely and I would also encourage you to join in the Lotto. I see not a thing wrong with those blocks. That was where I was going a few weeks ago with my comments about being careful about scaring off potential lotto participants who might not feel like their efforts are entirely perfection, as long as they put forth their best effort and the results are adequate to be used. I certainly didn't mean to critique the comments anyone made, nor their intention to provide advice to newer quilters. I apologise if I came across that way. I've sewn all my life and quilted five years now, and am still on that learning curve. It is very intimidating to new participants, and I just wanted us to hold on to that thought.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Corinne,
    I would be proud to display your runner on my dining room table! I like the straight line quilting. I get caught up in thinking I should quilt my projects in some fancy free form, and I forget how beautiful straight/diagonal designs look, echoing the piecing.

I am new at this too, and jumped into the lottos that started in January, feeling very green. This is one way I will continue to learn, making blocks that I may have never tried. As the others have said, I encourage you to join the lottos.

Julie

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Corrine, I love your table runner. I think your choice of colors is great. And your work is absolutely good enough for the lotto. There's still time to get a block or two in for February, but in any case, please join us in the March lotto.

I've found that, even using my 1/4 inch foot, my seams were too generous, so I now move my needle a bit to the right to achieve the "scant 1/4" seam." Then the block measurements are true. (Just a tip that I got from the forum members.)

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Lois - do you have a single hole needle plate? Using that will also help you achieve a scant 1/4". I read that recently.
    I had one for my 40 year old machine, and always used it whenever I was not using a zigzag. With the wider slots in the newer machines, it is even more important to use a single hole plate for great stitch formation when straight stitching. It is especially helpful when beginning sewing triangles or tips. I bought one about a week after I bought my new machine.

• missflippins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments. And, thank you Lois for the advice. My sewing machine is more than 30 years old, a Bernina 830 which is a solid great machine. I wanted a more updated machine so I bought a Pfaff expression 2.0 - the lower model and find sewing, especially quilting is much more pleasurable. And it did not come with the single needle plate. When I purchased the SN plate I was in heaven - what a difference. I just hope I don't forget to change it before I use any of the zig zag or decorative stitches. My new machine has a 1/4" foot, but I haven't yet checked to see if it is truly a scant. I read somewhere that "scant" is about 2 threads less than a 1/4".

Thank you for the encouragement, and I will definitely join in on the lotto. Probably April since I'll have a lot of company in the next few weeks.

Best Wishes - Corinne

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Corinne - I have a Pfaff Quilt Expressions 2048 - I got a deal on it when the 2.0 and 3.0 became available, because it was the 'old model' LOL. I put a big Dot on the plate (an office supply dot) to remind me that the single needle plate is on the machine. After all these years, I still occasionally forget and try to zig-zag!

• missflippins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Mag, I'm having one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments. Thanks! I'll do that right now and save myself frome grief.

Best Wishes- Corinne

• day2day
    12 years ago

It looks lovely.
    My first attempts with piecing were not near so good as that!
    Great colors too.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Don't be too hard on yourself. Enjoy the process. Your work is great, your enthusiasm tops, and your interest in improvement right in line for success. Keep up the good work and join in when you want to.