Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missflippins

Greetings from British Columbia Canada

missflippins
12 years ago

I have been lurking here for the past few months, and thought it was time to introduce myself before commenting on some of the posts. I want to thank you all for your generous information, ideas and great quilting links. While I'm very new to quilting, I have learned so much from this forum. Since I live in a very rural area of BC, taking classes requires a very long drive and I'm not much at driving.

My projects so far have been small items such as table toppers and a baby quilt. By working on these I have learned a lot ( I think ). Currently I'm working on a larger quilt which will be for my doggy who won't care if I mess up. I would be happy to upload pics to photo bucket so that I can post them here - if I can figure it all out.

Anyway, enough about me, and thank you again for the opportunity to be a part of an exciting forum.

Best wishes to all.

Comments (27)

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Welcome. We answer all sorts of questions and will learn from you as well. We love to see your projects and will show you ours in case it helps. Chime in when you feel inclined. We're friendly to a fault. Some of us have met in person as well and believe me, we're all part of the same world. It's amazing to meet and find we all speak the same stuff.

I've only been to Vancouver and Penticton but you are in a lovely area.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Sorry, I should have signed that. I'm Linda and live near San Francisco.

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

Welcome! Even if you have such a long drive to take lessons, I am willing to bet that many of us on this forum learned by doing, doing some more and learning by our mistakes.

There are lots of really great books to use, some of which are really good giving great directions with pictures to follow. Remember to check online, there are lots of good web sites that can help you as well.

Hope you continue to learn from the quilters here and by-the-way... the tips people share is a wonderful bonus!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Welcome, missflippins! As a newbie to this site, I know how much help everyone is. I look forward to seeing your pics. I know others can probably explain better, but save your pictures to photobucket, copy the html link and paste in here. The html is found underneath the photo in photobucket.

Bev

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Hi, misflippens, and welcome to the forum. My very dear friend and neighbor has a second home in Nakusp, BC. Is that anywhere near you?

This forum is a wonderful place to learn and share. I'm so happy you found us. Lois from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Welcome from central Alabama. I think small items are a great way to get your feet wet. They are nice for trying patterns to see if you'll like them, too. And it is just a small step to baby quilts, twin quilts, and all the way to a king.

beverly

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Hi and Welcome, Missflippins,
    I am fairly new here, myself, and have learned so much from this friendly crew of quiltaholics, who are also enablers!

It's a wonderful place to share ideas and photos.

Julie

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Waving a warm welcome from Florida to you, missflippins. If you have a question, go ahead and ask. Someone else might want to know the answer, too. Will be fun to see your projects.

SharonG/FL

• lola99
    12 years ago

I'm glad you introduced yourself. Yes, it's a very nice and helpful group here. Looking forward to seeing your projects.

Lola

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Welcome! I learned most of what I know about quilting from the contributors on this forum. Be careful though because these people will lead you astray, inspire you to take on more projects than a normal human can ever finish, and encourage you in subtle ways to spend more money than you should on fabrics and notions!

Kate

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum! I think starting with small projects is perfect. I learned a lot by doing a Saturday Sampler at the LQS. They taught us some of the basics and methods that I still use.
    We would love to see pictures of your projects.
    Happy Quilting!
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Ahem......Mz Kate, Have you ever been to Mary Jo's? I haven't.......just sayin.........

SharonG/FL

• missflippins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the welcome. I know I won't be able to contribute for a long time, but I know I will enjoy visiting here as I have in the past. And, thank you Kate for the warning - LOL! It's already too late though as I've been purchasing (expensive in Canada) fabric for the last month or two. I copied my first project, a quilt as you go table runner for a birthday gift.

I chose not to embellish it with more quilting other than sewing each strip of fabric for fear of spoiling it.

Corinne

• day2day
    12 years ago

A big welcome to you from Eastern Canada.
    My brother lives in Langley, B.C. Is that near you?

I like your table runner.
    I still worry that I will mess up with the quilting and I've been learning for over 10 years.
    I also live where there are no quilting classes.
    This forum has been my quilting guild since I joined back in 2007.It's a great place to be.

Looking forward to seeing more of your projects.

~Geraldine

• itsmesuzq
    12 years ago

Welcome! I can't believe how beautiful your first two projects are; the binding is perfect and the color choices are great!! You have a natural talent for sure. (I always look at the binding first because it is still what I struggle with.) I'm kinda new too, I've been quilting for a couple of years now and this forum is still the first place a go each day.

I live in Palm Desert California (just moved 3 months ago) and there are many snow birds from Canada and BC. They love buying fabric in the States because its less expensive.

Enjoy the forum and thanks so much for sharing your pictures with us.

Susan

• missflippins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Susan & Geraldine. Langley is across the Fraser River from where I am in Maple Ridge - not very far. Susan, Palm Desert sounds wonderful to me at this time of the year. It is still very cool here, although our winter has not been as bad as predicted this year. You should know too that I have completely ripped off bindings to re-do them. I had trouble with the corners at first, then finally a light went on and I don't find it too difficult now to get reasonably decent corners on the binding. Thanks again for your kind comments.
    Best Wishes - Corinne

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

Welcome Corinne from a New Brunswicker. I did a lot of lurking at first. It's amazing to see the beautiful work that some of these quilters do. Feel free to jump in anytime with questions/comments or just to show us your projects.

Joan

• missflippins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Joan. I was hoping there were a few Canadians on board here. I did see your lovely lotto blocks "The contrary wife". I really like that block and think it would make a beautiful quilt. I still have a long way to go, especially when it comes to colour coordination.

Best Wishes - Corinne

• susan_on
    12 years ago

Welcome, Corinne. I'm in Ontario, but I have a brother in Victoria. You'll enjoy this forum- so many nice and helpful people.

• nannykins
    12 years ago

And another Ontario member here from Windsor.
    Welcome, sit back and enjoy!
    Theresa

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Welcome. It is always inspireing to have a new voice appear here. Hard to believe you are a beginner with those beautiful examples, as someone said you are a natural. Looking forward to hearing from you and you input. Jayne

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful table runners - thank you for sharing the pictures - it is always nice to see new people join in - Welcome!

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Welcome! And thank you for sharing. Your table runners are lovely. This is an incredible group and I have learned so much from them.
    Murphy

• Vanislegirl88
    12 years ago

Hi Corrine. I live in Victoria, BC. So..another western Canadian!! I have learned so much from this group although I lurk more than I post :-(

Welcome to Quilting. You life will never be the same again.

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Welcome Corrine!
    There are quite a number of Canadians here....I live in South Central Ontario about 45 minutes NW of Toronto.
    I love your tablerunners! Great choice of colors.
    I have been a member here for quite a few years but also lurk more than post but it is a good place to learn!

Mary

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Corrine, wanted to add my welcome as well! Lovely tablerunners! We love seeing what everyone is working on and sharing ideas. Glad you came out of lurkerdom. ;)

Dee from NW Iowa

• missflippins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you again ladies for the welcome! I truly appreciate it. You are not so far from me Vanislegirl. I just had an email from my dear daughter DIL who is in Victoria now. My son and DIL live in Washington State, but my grandson lives in a house they have in Victoria. I believe it is on Magestic Dr. We were in Victoria last summer to visit Butchart Gardens - my other passion - gardening. I love the Island and would move there in a heartbeat.

I'm surprised there are so many Canadians visiting and taking part in this forum. So nice to know! Actually, the name "Missflippins" was chosen because when I joined garden web a few years back I visited the rose forum often and had just acquired a beautiful little miniature rose called "Miss Flippins". I believe the hybridizer of the wee rose named it for his grand daughter who like to do acrobats and flips.

Best Wishes - Corinne