Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
speaking of sashing.....

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 19:08

I'm about ready to put the white stashing between my "building blocks" blocks and I'm thinking that a 2" wide sashing (finished) for 6-inch (finished) blocks would be a good size.

What say you? Is there a formula? I bet it's in one of my books, but as I'm a lazy so-and-so, I thought I would ask here.

Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: speaking of sashing.....

Teresa, you could always lay it out and see what you think. I think 2" might be a little too wide...I'd be more inclined to go with 1-1/2".

Donna

o

For 6" blocks, I'd go more for a 1 1/2" sashing as well. I'd use a 2" sashing for a 12" block, myself.

I'm not sure there's a formula, but I look at block size and use a factor from that.

o

Thanks for the help! I bought 6 yds. of white muslin today so I'll lay it out and pin on the blocks to see if 1 1/2" will do.

Teresa

o

I also think 2" is too wide. But, you'll be able to tell when you lay it out.

o

I'd also go with the smaller size.

Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

~Geraldine

o

The blocks are almost all done and the muslin is going into the wash shortly. BTW, it was only $1.99 a yard at Hobby Lobby! Don't know if I could get it any cheaper in Lancaster. HL is becoming my favorite Saturday hang-out place. The cutter in the fabric department is so nice and actually seems to know something about sewing. And the customers and employees all seem to be enjoying themselves - what a change from Joann's.

o

My guide is: The smaller the block, the smaller the sashing and the finished sashing divisible by the size of the finished block. But, that's just me. @:)

SharonG/FL

o

I'm envious of your Hobby Lobby. I love the one in Denver. We don't have them here. There's another chain in Oregon we don't have that has wonderful quilting fabric. Guess I'll have to travel more. And, then there's Mary Jo's. Sigh.

o

I'm with Sharon - my sashing is always a divisible number of the block size - 2 or 3" for a 12" block. Usually it would be 2".

A six inch block is tough. I personally wouldn't go beyond 1 1/2", and probably would stick with !".

o

Another vote for 1" although you could probably do 1-1/2".

o

I like narrow sashing, myself. 1" or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here