Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlehelen_gw

Not a Scrappy

littlehelen_gw
11 years ago

I've not been a fan of scrappy quilts, probably because I never had scraps until this quilt obsession took over 18 months ago. Well today was a day off and I wanted to teach myself a variation of a log cabin block. So what better way to practice then to use up the scraps....I'm now a fan of scrappy...finished the first block, tried another, then tried another...I may keep on going till I have a lap quilt for Project Linus. The results were unexpectantly FUN !
V.

Comments (27)

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

Really cute!

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

So bright and fun looking....the perfect combination for a Project Linus quilt!

Maryv

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Good job!
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Those are darling. Gives me ideas for lotto blocks. Glad you're having fun with it.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Love the bright cheery look!
    LindaB/CA

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

You have fun and cheerful scraps. It will be a cute quilt.
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

You did good, V! Isn't it fun????

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    11 years ago

The white center blocks tie the scrappiness together. They are very happy blocks. Some child will love it.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Very cheerful! And I agree..perfect for Project Linus.

Would you like my scraps??? I stiiiiiill don't do scrappy! lol

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Your title should read "Now a Scrappy!" :~)
    I try & try to be a scrappy quilter ........ I think I am making a tiny bit of progress, but not much. I (mostly) like other peoples' scrappy quilts. I save scraps......one year I'm just going to go crazy scrappy. I am making a Bonnie Hunter scrappy quilt, very slowly. You should watch her Quilt Cam and read her blog if you want to try to get scrappy.

Your scrappy is cheery and happy and perfect for Project Linus!

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Aha! You've now been won over to the "scrappy side" and your life will never be the same. Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha...

• karpet
    11 years ago

Those are darling!

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks ya'll.... I'm not sure I can say I'm "now a scrappy" and I have enough scraps of my own...thank you very much Jen (LOL), but a great way to try something new and make a little something for Project Linus.

Finished 2 more blocks last night...goal...a close to empty scappy bin! (Along with completing two non-scrappy tops that are in-process. Funny how this quilting hobby never seems to end..... :-))

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

At first I wasn't too much of a 'scrappy' either, BUT, I saw some gorgeous scrappies posted here and I went to the other side!

I still can't go the 'Bonnie Way' and just pull out random scraps, but I love making scrappy Irish Chains.

Love your blocks they are perfect, bright and cheerful!
    Rosa

• Vanislegirl88
    11 years ago

Keep these posts up and you will enventually convert me as well. :-)

• cindykg23
    11 years ago

I am a scrappy addict! - & proud of it! lol I also do traditional quilts, but I've got scraps out the wah-zoo!; especially since my mom keeps bringing me hers! :)

Last night I sorted a new basket of scraps & put together scraps for 3 different quilt tops - w/just a little addition from my stash. Gotta love what scraps do for the budget;)

~Cindy

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I took a workshop with Bonnie Hunter - she may love her scraps--but she is a selective scrappy quilter. She doesn't do willy-nilly - pull from a paper bag and use it scappy. Her method is kinda sorta thought out --- real loose kinda sorta --- lol---
    She also cuts really small, so the true ugly scrappy is reduced and used.
    I will never be like Bonnie--but she had a huge influence on me---only after this forum of scrappy friends & quilters .
    I may never truly be on the other side, but I can't seem to throw away my husband's work shirts -- or my junk cotton shirts either! :)

• chickie1
    11 years ago

I like your scrappy start. It took me awhile to get comfortable with my scraps but I do like it now. The child that gets this quilt will love it. Make sure you post the finished quilt.
    Darlene

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

You all heard it here directly from the source!!!

Cindy has enough scraps!!! She is NOT allowed to dumpster dive at retreat any more!! Nope. Nadda. Never again!!

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol - no dumpster diving! Sounds like a quilt sporting event... Will there be a medal round at the retreat?
    V

• cindykg23
    11 years ago

AGHHH!!!!!!! Please don't ban me from the dumpster!!

Yes, I have more than enough scraps...but, you never know what treasure may be laying in there - just waiting to be matched up w/something someone has at home. That's what I did w/Marge's dark blue & (small) white floral. Put it w/sev'l carefully selected blues & my dumpster quilt looks almost planned. ;)

I would never take something someone else wants. Anyone can go before me - but I'd hate to see the trash man come if there is some little gem left in the dumpster! :)

Besides - it's fun!!
    ~Cindy

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Marsha I would love to take a class with Bonnie! I watched a video of her sewing with a friend and she is so organized.

I should have known from her tips on organizing scraps that she has everything under control lol!!

I separate my scraps by complimentaty colors, but in a pattern like a scrappy Irish anything works.
    Rosa

• buteau3rd
    11 years ago

Cindy, I still have the little piece of sewn together teeny,tiny scraps you made when you were showing me how to use every and any little piece. It became my bookmark, and I still love it. Thanks for making my first retreat (20010) so much fun. 20012 was another great one, but 20011 was not my favorite.....spent it in the hospital!! Can't win 'em all!

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Cindy, cute as can be cheerful blocks!
    As for scrappy, true scrappy I have a hard time with. as long as it is controlled by one theme: 30's, brights, plaids, one color family etc, I'm good with it. IâÂÂll never get to BHâÂÂs system. And Sharon will be glad to know, I donâÂÂt do Crumb blocks nowâ¦IâÂÂm cured of that because those little bits multiply and time diminishes.
    One retreat, Fran did a sweet little Caterpillar theme quilt and gave me the leftoversâ¦they went into many donation quilts. So you have a fan of Dumpster Divingâ¦at Retreat Only!...lol And, Jennifer has to sleep sometime at Retreat, so IâÂÂll meet you then for our competitionâ¦lol

A search for Crumb Blocks here on GW below.
    buteau, glad you are better! Medical this and that can really sideline our quilting!

Gwen

Here is a link that might be useful: GW crumb block search

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Gwen, What happened to all your Crumb blocks? What are you doing???? making strips and/or squares? I'm trying not to save anything less than 1 1/2 inches, but it pains me. Good news is, I don't have a lot of tiny scraps anymore. I will be forever thankful to you for telling me about Crumbs!

SharonG/FL

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Those are beautiful... so precise and I love your fabric colors! Especially the top strip on the far right block, the way it changes colors is awesome.

I tried something similar, but my results were a bit wonky. I was going to use it for a side wall of a tote bag.

• littlehelen_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your wonky is cute! Love the stripes!
    The fabric I think you are referencing is a k fassett... I think... Who knows it was a scrap!
    V.