Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Has anyone made a 'Twister' quilt?

lindaoh_gw
13 years ago

I am going on a shop hop next Saturday and plan to look for the Twister template. My question is which size to buy? The large would work with layer cakes and the small with charm packs. Has anyone used these templates and have any preference?

Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Twister templates

Comments (17)

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Linda, I haven't made this but Its on my list! I like the larger size.

Kate

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

It's on my list too! - for my very next trip to the LQS! I haven't yet decided on size, but was leaning toward the small. For me it might be more versatile as I would use it for blocks and in borders.

~Cindy

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

I have the twister smaller size template. It works well with 5 inch squares. BUT... I think I would have liked to have the larger size better. At the time I only saw the smaller size at a fabric shop,they gave a wonderful demo on it. Later at the Quilt Show in Ohio last summer, I saw it in the larger size, but did not buy it. Wish that I had.

• calliope
    13 years ago

I am in the process of making one right now and just finishing up on the hand quilting. I did not buy or use a template, you really don't need one and I believe that a similar wonky pinwheel is even on quilter's cache.

It's really a very fun pattern to make. I enjoyed it.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

God bless the quilters who make it so we don't have to buy every template, ruler, etc that's on the market. Should I ever decide to make this quilt, it would have to be using the same solid/TOT throughout as one pinwheel and the other as variety. The quilt using print fabric for all pinwheels doesn't seem to be as pleasing to my eyes....but, that's just me. Here's a link to a tutorial for those interested.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Wonky Pinwheel

• calliope
    13 years ago

I figured out a technique to do it because I wasn't going to spend another bunch of money on a specific template, either. However I did it differently. I started with two long strips in the fabrics I wanted to incorporate into the pinwheel. In my case, I think about six to eight inches wide, sewn together into one long strip. Then I took a four inch square template, put it on point where the middle would have co-incided with the seam and then rotated it however many degrees I wanted to off set it and made a mental note to do it exactly the same number of degree as I moved down the length of the cloth strip.

There was very little waste at all, as you might think there would be initially, because then I cut out the seam and sewed the two fabric strips together again along the uncut edge, essentially flipping it around each piece. What that gave me is a bunch of triangle wedges of what was selvage. Then I just moved down the strip again with the four inch square template offsetting it as I cut and bang. A whole bunch of wonky pinwheels in a short time.

• byrdseay
    13 years ago

Check out www.quilterscache.com Pinwheel 5 block. I made a template from the clear plastic. This is similar to the twister block. I hope this helps.

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks everyone. It's fun to see all the different ways to reach the same results. I have layer cakes and charm packs that I plan to use for this pattern. It's good to know how to do them without having to buy the templates.
    Linda OH

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I saw this thread last night, and since then have downloaded/printed instructions from modalissa.blogspot.com, and have put together a framed 36-piece of fabric made from 5" charms. I have an old self-healing rotary cutting mat I'm going to use to make templates from. Don't panic though, I've got a new one the same size I received for my last birthday, and I'm thinking this would be a good way to recycle the old one...lol! (I'll bet you all thought I was going crazy there for a minute or two, eh?)
    I have a question for those of you who've done this before. Does the middle of the template go where the blocks all meet? In the pictures in the directions I'm following, it looks like it does. I'd like to know for sure though before starting to cut the material.

Linda, I've got to give you a big ol' THANK YOU for starting this thread! I'm betting that there are going to be a number of twister quilts/pillows/etc started in the weeks to come because you started this thread! (applauding)

-Dan

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

Interesting all the ideas on the Twister. After reading this again, I went and checked out my templates I have as I remembered seeing something similar. John Flynn also made a two piece template that looks like the twister. I remembered buying it several years ago. It works out to be a 6 inch block and looks like the same twister pattern as mentioned by Linda. With his ~ one piece does the twist part and the other the border part.

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Here! Here! I second the motion! made by Dan. Thank you Linda for starting this thread. And thank you to all who gave options instead of buying yet another template. $$ is why I didn't buy one the first time I saw it! - I'd much prefer spending my hard-earned dollars on FABRICS!!
    I've checked out all the other sites you've all mentioned & any one of them will work just fine. Now I can't wait to finish up a few more birthday swap blocks so I can justify beginning a new project! LOL Especially since I told myself no more new projects until you finish at least 3 WIPs!! Oh well, rules like resolutions were made to be broken, right??! Or is that resolutions, like rules... Either way, the end result is the same! :) I'm cheating on my vow to myself that I would get to some of these WIPs :) But this winter has been so long...I need a new 'spring-y' project! Like a wonky pinwheel table cover:)
    Sharon, I'm w/you on the TOTs---all the wild prints in some of the samples were just too busy for my tired eyes! Where in those crazy patterns is the eye supposed to rest? I was always taught you need a place for the eye to rest somewhere in a quilt. (Lately not many of the magazine samples have had any such place! :(
    Reading a few more threads - then off to my sewing domain!!

~Cindy

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I went ahead and made this yesterday afternoon...

It's made out of (36) 5" charms which I sewed into a 6x6 small quilt with a 3" border. Then I centered my "new" template made out of the old rotary board where the seams come together and drew out my squares with a fabric marker, giving me 49 squares. I didn't want a bunch of piles of squares sitting on my desk, just waiting for me or my cats to make into a mess, so as I cut each row of squares, I sewed them together. Organization is the key, right? LOL! I wound up with a new 21"x21" Twister, and I must say, I enjoyed making it!!!!
    I've been wanting to make the move and begin making all of my quilts into king-size, so if I make 24 more of these I'll have a nice qulilt-top. While I was sewing, I thought up some variations, mostly involved with where the template is centered on the first quilt, changing the shape of the "petals". I'll post the results here on this thread as I keep experimenting.
    -Dan

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan, I love your quilt. I am home today (we had an ice storm last night) and want to lay out my layer cake blocks. I don't have fabric for the border.
    This has been an interesting thread! I too am glad it started it.
    Linda OH

• new2quilting
    13 years ago

Tutorial; using charm squares

http://turtlehillquilter.blogspot.com/2010/01/charmed-whirlgigs-tutorial.html

Here is a link that might be useful: charmed whirligig tutorial

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

Interesting way to make the charmed whirligig pattern. I need to make notes on this one! TFS!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Uh oh, wouldn't you know it. All my UFO's are being held hostage so I started making this using the Whirligig pattern. Didn't even need to mark the fabric, just pressed to the dark side and didn't press open the seams. I'm using WOW and marble type batiks....at least for now. @:)

Thanks for posting the link, new2quilting!

SharonG/FL

• quiltingdiva
    12 years ago

i made my first one and it was so much fun! i used the small one which i think is good for solids and small prints. just wish i could figure out how to post a pic of it for you. ill keep trying

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions