Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackier123

I have slain the dragon!

jackier123
12 years ago

I have been working on this wallhanging for a while. It is for a challenge at a local show.

Comments (17)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Jackie, that is very cool...like the colors. Can you explain how you did this for a newbie? All applique or a panel? Is there any way to tell just by looking at it?

• jackier123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is all raw edge applique. I drew the dragon on a large piece of paper, about 20 by 30 and then traced each piece onto steam-a-seam 2 lite. each scale on him is a different piece of fabric. I ironed the steam a seam onto the fabric then cut out all the pieces. He was then thread painted with metallic thread. The pic does not do it justice as the lighting inside at night does not make good photos.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Your Dragon is menacing & scary and jumps off the fabric - very 3D visually - the claws are particularly scary!
    You did a beautiful job bringing this dragon to life.

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Great dragon!
    I was in Joann Fabric on Sunday and they had Lite Steam-a-2 in the 5 sheet pkg for .97 on clearance. Here in Canada it sells for 6.99 so I bought 5 packages! I don't do alot of applique but do have some PhDs I have been working on for a while and the guild BOM is often an applique block. I figure it doesn't go bad if kept in a cool dry place.

Mary

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Amazing! How large is the finished wall hanging?

Linda OH

• jackier123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is 22 x 41 inches.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Great dragon, Jackie. It's so complex and beautiful. I just love your colors.

Good score on the Steam N Seam, Mary. It comes in handy for lots of things so you'll be glad you have it.

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Jackie, your dragon is fantastic!

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Your dragon is lovely! It looks like a lot of work went into it. Good luck at the show.
    Corinne

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Your applique method is similar to a method I learned from an online course. I haven't had time to try the technique yet, but I sure can appreciate the time that went into creating your beautiful art quilt.

I hope it wins an award!

Julie

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Terrific. Never tried that much applique or thread painting but recently my guild had a speaker on thread painting and all I can say is WOW! I now have a real appreciation for the work. Yours looks great.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Fabrics, colors, pattern... It all comes together in your dragon! Wow!

• day2day
    12 years ago

That is awesome!
    Thanks for explaining the process.
    Lots of time and work but it turned out magnificent.
    Do the Chinese letters on the moon spell a word?
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• vasu_texas
    12 years ago

Very impressive looking dragon. It has inspired Kate to break into song :-)

• jackier123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Chinese letters are dragon. LOL

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Wow, that is fantastic! Even more impressive is the fact that you drew the dragon yourself. It is very creative and beautifully done. I don't know what a "challenge at a local show" is, but you deserve to come out on top. Lois

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

A beautiful piece of art! I wish a camera could capture the detail because I'd love to see a closer look.

Robbi