Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

Feb 2012 Quilting/Sewing Goals

bev2009
12 years ago

Yes, January's gone already and it's time to think about what we're going to do this month. I bought a new machine today, so I can do FMQ. Hopefully, this will get me moving a little quicker. My goals for the month are:

1) make 6 heart potholders for my 3 DS, 2 DexSIL and 1 SIL to remember by mom who passed away last Valentine day. The green area is quilted.

2) add border and complete wall hanging for my bedroom

3) make place mats and wall hanging for DD b'day 2-19

What are all of you up to this month?

Comments (34)

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Sandwich and quilt the 4 tops made last month.
    Well, now that I have put it in writing, I may be really "forced" to get them done.
    Theresa

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Ps
    Love the potholder
    Theresa

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Those are cute!

In Feb I need to:

1) finish the Jewel Box
    2) birthday blocks
    3) at least start 2 baby quilts

beverly

• loisflan
    12 years ago

1) Get the sailboat baby quilt to the LAQ and then bind.
    2) Do several February Lotto blocks.
    3) Finish quilting my City Lights quilt and bind.
    4) Decide which of the 4 quilts that I have fabric for to start. And then start cutting.
    5) Try not to run out and buy more fabric for the little turtle quilt pattern that I bought in Hawaii until I have finished some of the other quilts. (This may be impossible.)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

That's a nice potholder, Sharon.

I just sewed the binding on the front of a wall hanging I finished hand quilting last night. So that should be an easy one to finish this month (maybe even tonight!):)

Keep working on my Quilt U class project. Class has 2 more lessons.

Quilt a baby quilt for someone on another quilting list. The top and backing have already been sent to me, I just have to quilt and bind it.

FINALLY finish my big living room quilt...it's really close!

Donna

PS - good thing we have an extra day this month! :)

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

A few months ago I though it was crazy if a person had so many different projects going at once!

Now I understand. I am in the same boat.

1. Make the Craftsy BOM when it becomes available.

2. Start the March Lotto blocks

3. Start a round table runner (which I've had the pattern for a few months.)

4. Make a purse from the pattern I bought at last Summer's quilt show in Racine.

5. Start designing a Summer bed quilt (have been collecting fabrics for that one already.)

Julie

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Hopefully to finish the bordered diamonds quilt. Ran out of a border fabric so started a small project to practice FM quilting. I think it will be finished in a day or two. Will use it as a table topper. Bought the needed fabric to finish the diamond quilt yesterday, those borders around the diamonds are tedious as I expected they would be. Now I have to decide on the quilting motif for the diamonds. I like the serpentine stitch so much, I think I'll use it on the border strips, but the diamonds need something to fill them in with. They are quite large so they need something special.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I finished this last night! Hand applique and hand quilting. It was a kit I got several years ago at a quilt show. Now I can show it at our quilt show in 2013! :)

Donna

• day2day
    12 years ago

Cute potholder, Sharon.

Donna, it's lovely.
    It looks different and I can't tell how you did it.
    Did you applique the gold areas onto a background, leaving the narrow background areas visible?
    -----------------------------------------
    I still have 8 tops to sandwich, quilt and bind.

February goals:
    1.Finish quilting my Hydrangea quilt and bind it.
    2.Sandwich and quilt another top...a 9 patch square in
    a square.
    3.Get another top sandwiched.
    4.Work on my BOM sampler...haven't touched it in over
    a week and I am itching to work on it but need to get
    those tops quilted.

Hope you all have a great quilting month.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Geraldine, it's 2 large pieces of fabric. You draw the design on the top piece then baste them together. You cut on the drawn line and turn under and sew both edges to show the fabric underneath. The pattern is from Pacific Rim Quilts and Nancy Chong (owner) teaches the 2 fabric technique in a Quilt University class.

I really like needleturn applique and it went pretty fast. The pattern also has instructions for machine applique.

Donna

• day2day
    12 years ago

Donna, thanks for the info.
    Is this what they call reverse applique?
    It sounds intriguing.
    Is there a special scissors for cutting these designs? As you go along, is it a problem to keep the same amount of fabric turned under?

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Hey, everyone, I was remiss in not starting the Goal thread this month, and bev2009 took the initiative so you girls could get started. I'm saying this so she will get the credit for the really cute potholder and not me. I don't know where my head is lately, so I'm glad someone got the goal thread going.

My goals for Feb are (some are forwarded from January):

Buy a decent second machine for backup!
    Mail out some lotto blocks (yes I need to be reminded)
    Snuggle Neck rings for 2012 Xmas
    Finish Twister Wreath
    Last border on Jewels for New Hope auction
    Work on: X-Strings, Tumbler rows and Chocolate Stars

SharonG/FL

• calliope
    12 years ago

Ooh, I adore that potholder. MsMeow.........those are appliqued? Very nice work.

I'd like to finish up a FMQ QAYG light/shadow quilt. It's 3/4 done and week would get it finished. It was an impromptu piece, because I used some odds 'n ends material to try out a new HST method and liked how the fabrics 'came together' and discovered I had just enough material left to actually make a full sized quilt out of it. Serendipitous, so I did it.

Have a quilt on the frame I'm hand quilting, but can't finish it until the arthritis in my thumb goes into a remission. It comes back every spring, and has for twenty five years and disappears toward warm weather. The hundreds of thousands of tiny plants I'd have to transplant in the cold, dark and wet weather exacerbated the condition, and I was hoping retirement would have taken care of that, but it didn't. ;-(

I'm finishing up April, May and June Lotto blocks and have one more to do.

That's all I'm 'PLANNING' to take on in February, but we all know how that goes. LOL

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Geraldine, I'm not sure if it's called reverse applique or not. The designer calls it 2-fabric applique. You just cut it with regular scissors, just make sure you only cut the top layer! LOL As far as turning under the edges, you get more consistent with practice.

Donna

• day2day
    12 years ago

Bev, I owe you an apology. Forgive me.
    My only excuse is that I am so used to Sharon doing the monthly goals post.

It's still a cute potholder!

~Geraldine

• day2day
    12 years ago

Donna,again...thank you.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Oops, I just assumed Sharon had started the post, too! :) It's still a cute potholder, Bev!

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Buy a decent second machine for backup! DONE!! *BIG SMILE*

• vasu_texas
    12 years ago

My goals are fairly modest compared to most of you.

1. finish sewing the binding on a UFO from years ago and post a pic here. This is from the jewel tone sampler quilt swap we had here in 2007.
    2. Finish another UFO from 2006 - a Celtic wall hanging. Almost done but I need to sew down the tabs at the back for a rod.
    3. Design and make a quilt for my son's school fundraiser.
    4. Make some Lotto blocks.

Donna,
    I went to the Pacific Rims quilt site and spent more time and money than I should :-)
    Vasu

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon, I didn't realize your regularly did the monthly list. I looked back at December and didn't see one. I'm glad everyone liked the potholder. The link to the pattern is below.

And I need to add another item to my list, the Feb. lotto. Just went to the quilt shop around the corner and got the fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: heart potholder

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Bev, thanks for the potholder link. Another to add to my list of boutique items!

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Bev, No problem, the thread for Dec was back on page 5. I've forgotten before and someone else will start it. It doesn't bother me that another person starts it.

Those potholders are really cute. I made one a long time ago with the middle part black and the wing parts red with watermelon seeds.....it looked like a ladybug.

SharonG/FL

• susan_on
    12 years ago

Very cute potholders!

I failed miserably at my January goals. I did finish one task that I was determined to complete before staring my quilt, but I just didn't get my quilt started. I have had many things thrown at me, that I've enjoyed doing, but I didn't have a chance to do my quilting. Hopefully, I can start this weekend.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

For the 3rd month in a row: one of my goals is to do the quilting on the poppies wall hanging for the home office. Maybe this is the magic month when it actually happens!

I want to get a small donation quilt made for the local ALS foundation. There's a fundraising walk next Friday and I had initially hoped to have it done to show then, hoping to generate some interest in a raffle, but I won't even have the top finished. Not too happy with myself about that...

I think that's all I'm going to list this month! If I get to anything else that will be great but I'm not going to plan on it.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Woooo-Hooooo

Buy a decent second machine - DONE
    Mail out blocks/fabric - DONE
    (be on the look-out: Kate, Beverly and Marsha)
    Finish Twister Wreath
    Last border on Jewels for New Hope auction - DONE
    Only need 5 more x-string blocks
    Made one Choc Star when test driving Gracie

The fleece is washed for the neck rings and hope to get it cut tomorrow. I am on a roll!!!!! Wheeeeeeeeee

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I'm still working on my Quilt U project. It's a large orchid done in upside-down applique. The finished picture will be about 16 x 20. I finished all the background leaves last night and put the first few flower pieces on this morning. I'm really enjoying working on it!

The last class will be posted the evening of the 17th so I think my other Feb. goals may get pushed to March.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Its almost the middle of the month and I have no formal Sewing goals! My main goal for the 1st week was to cut up and get some order in my scraps to take to the Bonnie Hunter workshop - I did that--but I left piles of stings - thread and fabric and scraps all over - I really need to clean up both areas - where I sew & where I quilt.
    I have another workshop the 1st week of March - I have to get ready for the one. These workshops really destroy whatever order I have.
    That's my goal-clean up my sewing areas. I hate to clean!

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's where I am at mid-month:

1) 6 potholders - DONE AND MAILED

2) add border and complete wall hanging for my bedroom.

3) make place mats and wall hanging for DD b'day 2-19 . This one's a little scary for me. I don't have a pattern, I checking out quilts on line and in the little print material I have at home for inspiration.

4) Feb. Lotto blocks - DONE - MAILING TOMORROW

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Buy a decent second machine - DONE
    Mail out blocks/fabric - DONE
    Finish Twister Wreath
    Last border on Jewels for New Hope auction - DONE
    Made one Choc Star when test driving Gracie

What's new:
    20 X-String blocks need to be squared
    3 more Choc Star blocks to be made. (The name of the quilt will be changed to Brown Stars because my nephew wanted a quilt for his funeral home and his last name is Brown)

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Mid month update:

Poppies - done!

ALS quilt - done, except for the binding. I was going to quilt this one myself but took it to my long-armer for a little advice and ended up leaving it with her to quilt. I can hardly wait to see it! All I'll have to do is bind it and add the label.

Sewing room re-arranged and re-organized - done! I even ordered new blinds for the window. Maybe next month I'll tear out the nasty old carpet and paint the walls.

• day2day
    12 years ago

Update...Feb.23/12

Before I start my update, I want to say a special thanks to k8orlando for all the Techno Twinkie Stuff.
    I now know how to put a link directly into my message and how to get colored words/phrases.
    I do relish learning new things.

February goals:
    1.Finish quilting my Hydrangea quilt and bind it....DONE
    2.Sandwich and quilt another top...a 9 patch square in
    a square.DONE
    3.Get another top sandwiched. ....DONE
    I also got this one (#3) quilted and hope to get the binding finished before February is over.
    4.Work on my BOM sampler.....HAVE NOT TAKEN IT OUT!!

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

You are very welcome!!! :~))

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Update:

I just sewed the binding on the front of a wall hanging I finished hand quilting last night. So that should be an easy one to finish this month (maybe even tonight!):) - DONE!

Keep working on my Quilt U class project. Class has 2 more lessons. - DONE! Will post a pic in a separate thread.

Quilt a baby quilt for someone on another quilting list. The top and backing have already been sent to me, I just have to quilt and bind it. - DONE! On its way to Calif., should be there tomorrow or Tues.

FINALLY finish my big living room quilt...it's really close! - my only MARCH goal! LOL

Donna

• bev2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Miss Meow, you have been very industrious. Great job!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors