Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quiltingfox

O.T.: 3rd Snow of 2014 in Louisiana

quiltingfox
10 years ago

We got our 3rd snow this morning in central Louisiana for 2014. It's so rare for us to get snow and now this makes the 3rd time in a 2 week period. It snowed with big flakes for an hour this morning and then thankfully melted by 1pm which was good so the roads were good to bring kids home from school at the end of the school day today. Our school calendar only has 3 available days for us to miss due to weather, school was not cancelled today, but due to the last 2 snows our kids have missed 4 days of school and will have to make up 1 day at the end of spring, assuming we don't get any more bad weather. Usually we only worry about missing school for hurricanes or the rare ice storm, with all this snow this is really strange weather we are having in 2014 in central Louisiana. I know in the pictures I have posted online lately it does not look like much snow, but we are so not equipped to handle winter weather here, even in our biggest town in central Louisiana, Alexandria, there are no snow plows and very few trucks for deicing bridges - they even had to close some bridges this morning for a short while, which had some teachers a little worried at my son's school cause they have to cross bridges on a major river to get home with their commutes. I am so ready for spring.

Best to you,
Sandra

Comments (10)

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Oh, dear. You got more than we did this time.

beverly

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

We are all ready for spring! Love that Louisiana snow! stops in to say hello and then happily melts away (quickly)..although I'm sure it leaves some excitement in its wake!
    We were hit by the ice storm ...a tree landed on our home, fortunately, only minor damage. We lost many trees and the beautiful birch trees on our corner lot...well they don't like ice... and two snapped. We are fortunate, we're fine, as are our neighbors...just very messy.
    V.

This post was edited by littlehelen on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 8:02

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

need to mention that amid all the ice and fallen trees...there were a few moments of color inspiration for a future quilt...

This post was edited by littlehelen on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 8:04

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly I am just so glad it melted quickly. Littlehelen glad we did not get ice as you did, hope you are able to repair your home and get life back to normal as quickly as possible. Helen glad you got some quilt color inspiration amidst all that ice and fallen trees, glad you have such a positive outlook on life. Yes I am ready for spring and flowers blooming and getting to wear flip flops again. I think I will throw on a coat and rubber boots and make the trip to my flowerbed at the back of the property and see if my daffs that had set buds survived our freezing temps and whether they are closer to blooming. Hoping all this cold weather will help my daffs to have a year of many blooms.

Best to you and thanks bunches,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well one clump of my daffs that had set buds really early this year still have their buds and should bloom soon, so that makes me feel a whole lot better. More bulbs in my garden should bloom closer to March.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Pretty pics Helen, we had snow all around us (which is rare for us too) but all we had was wind and ice.

Sandra the daffs at a neighbors house are all blooming and so pretty! I lost so many plants and right now I need to start pulling weeds and preparing my gardens. It's still cold at night but the sun is really warm in the back where the wind is blocked.

I've been appliqueing a Bucilla Christmas tree skirt so I haven't minded the cold weather - I know once it starts warming my needlework will be on the back burner.
    Rosa

• gininmn
    10 years ago

It's been crazy weather in so many places in the US this winter. As of this morning, Duluth has had 19 consecutive days with the low/minimum temperature below zero. Based on predicted lows for next days, we'll either tie or break the record of 22 consecutive days, these set in 1936 and 1963. Thank goodness we're having some sunny days now. Let the grumpy wolf eat that groundhog!

Here is a link that might be useful: Consecutive days with below zero low temps

• nannykins
    10 years ago

This picture was part of an e-mail sent by a friend. I am thinking it just might be a sign of things to come here in Canada. The picture makes me smile but also scares me a bit.
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Great pic Theresa..actually really pretty,but worrisome...on the other hand....I see a modern quilt -white background with HST brights.
    V.

• quiltingfox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing a pic of that Theresa, it's so beautiful, nice to see flowers in bloom. It's usually not cold enough here to get tulips to bloom.

Best to you,
    Sandra