Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - March 2012

K8Orlando
12 years ago

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

This month's lotto is a classic quilt block, deeply rooted in American quilting heritage. You'll be able to play around with colors and maybe try some combinations you wouldn't normally use. Have fun with it, because no matter what you put together, the blocks will be beautiful once put together in a quilt.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

> if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair

March 2012

For March, the block will be Amish Diamond. Use the link below for instructions. Many Amish quilts use solid color fabrics in rich tones, paired with black; you don't have to use black and your choices don't have to be solids, but marbles, tone-on-tone or small prints will represent the pattern best. No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams. Pre-washing is strongly encouraged!

I've attached pictures of the three blocks I made for this one.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions. This is YOUR lotto!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish Diamond at Quilterscache.com

Comments (48)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Sign me up for three please. I'm really enjoying making new blocks!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bev! I'm so glad you're having fun with this!

• lola99
    12 years ago

Please put me down for one.

Lola

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I made 2 - mailed them today - the color is off in the pic - a cloudy day- the colors are deep burgundy,very dark navy & black, and the center in the right block is dark blue.

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Two blocks for the March lotto. Will go into the mail tomorrow. Thanks, Kate. Lois

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have several March blocks and several packages that contain combinations of Feb, March and April blocks. I've pulled out all the Feb blocks for today's drawing. This weekend I'll sort out all the others and post an update on who's submitted blocks for March (and the following months).

I had set up a pretty simple system to track entries at the beginning of the year but the wonderfully crazy number of blocks I've received has completely overwhelmed my system - and overflowed the box too. Have no fear though, I can handle it!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

HA! Kate, We know you can handle it just by you posting almost the full years blocks already!!!! Your system might have been simple to you, but I think I would probably look at it in a daze. lol

SharonG/FL

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Please sign me up for three, going to the P.O. this aft.

Julie

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

I am sending three, but for obvious reasons don't put me in the drawing. I will be busy for a long time!

{{!gwi}}

• polardream
    12 years ago

I sure wish I was back in the US with my sewing machine! This combination is one of my favorites. Good luck to the winner - I will be jealous.

Sue

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I really like this month's blocks. If I can find black fabric in town this coming week at Hobby Lobby or Hancocks, then I will make blocks for this month's lotto. I have some beautiful blue and yellow fabric that I can use for this project. If I can't find black fabric in town, what other color of fabric can I look for to substitute for the black fabric?

Best to you,
    Sandra

• crafteedee
    12 years ago

I've been MIA on this forum for quite a while, but I'd like to join in this month. Put me down for 3 blocks. I will have to etch out some time.

I need to know where to send my blocks to.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dee, you don't have an email link on your page, so you'll have to send me an email. Then I'll send you my mailing address.

Glad to having you joining in!

I'll get a tally of the March blocks posted tomorrow. These are going to make a great quilt!!!

Kate

• crafteedee
    12 years ago

That's weird. I thought I had that all set up ages ago. I'll work on that.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

crafteedee - you have email with address and information. For detailed information about the lotto, go to the first posting in this thread. For info on future lotto blocks, including pictures, click on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 Lotto General Information

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOO HOO!!!

k8orlando - 3 received
    little helen - 3 received
    calliope - 3 received
    loisf - 2 received
    mary_c - 3 received
    luvtosharedivs - 3 received
    sunnycentralflorida - 2 received
    lola99 - 1 received
    magothyrivergirl - 2 received
    nannykins - 3 received

25 received so far and it's only March 11th!

Kate

• bev2009
    12 years ago

OK, I need help. I've made three blocks trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. The pattern should not be hard. I've watched You Tube and it seems obvious what you should do, but I am not getting perfect points like the blocks pictured here have. Is there a secret?

One block is very close, the other two I tried sewing differently to see if it worked and I was way off. Thank you for your advice. I'm getting a headache. LOL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bev, have you tried just following the instructions on quilterscache.com? Whatever you are watching on youtube might be for a different block?

If you have and can't get it to work I would check a couple things:
    1. When sewing the 4 smaller squares onto the larger square, are you making sure to sew it diagonally point to point?
    2. On all other seams are you using 1/4" seam allowance instead of the 5/8" that your machine is probably set for?

Let us know if that helps. If not, we'll try something else!

Any other ideas or advice from anyone else?

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish Diamond at Quilterscache.com

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bev, I just thought of something that might help. When doing the 4 smaller square onto the larger square, sew two opposite squares on, press them and then trim off the excess. THEN sew on the other two opposite corners. There will be a little overlap of these squares onto the 1st two squares. When you press these two open you'll see that the points are 1/4" in from the edge. So when you sew the outside rectangles on with a 1/4" seam, the points will be right at the seam line.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Bev- visually I understand why you think the small square is offset in the directions. I had problems with this as well when I first started. The small square should line up or be placed exactly over the corner of the large square. The corner edges & sides should meet perfectly before you sew anything. Sew one thread over - closer - toward the corner from the line you drew. One thread over will help make it the right size (it compensates for the fold over.) You will cut off the extra toward the outside corner of both pieces. Flip the small pc over - press really well.
    Repeat on all 4 sides of the large square.

When you sew the rectangle pcs on, have the square on top, so you can see the stitching and sew one thread over or beside the crossed stitching (the points 1/4" from the edge that Kate described.)

Your Jan blocks were fine - please don't give up! Remember scant 1/4" & press (not iron) before you sew the next pc.

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Thank you bunches Sharon for sharing your black fabric with me!!! :-) I drew out the pattern and made plastic templates this afternoon. So I plan to start tracing and cutting fabric tomorrow afternoon. I am going to try and make 3 blocks for this month's Lotto.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

It was my pleasure, Sandra. Glad I could help.

SharonG/FL

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

I sent the three blocks I posted above yesterday. I will be out of town for the next two weeks. I hope they arrive safely, and that the winner enjoys her new blocks as much as I'm enjoying the February lotto blocks!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I just finished making my 3 blocks. Kate, I will send you an email to get your mailing address. I did all the fabric cutting and sewing this afternoon, and was outside part of the afternoon working in the yard, these blocks were easy and quick to make. I enjoyed making this pattern. :-)

{{!gwi}}

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Kate, I'm going to sit this month's out (unless something crazy happens in the next two days). I'm leaving for vacation on Sunday and I don't think I want to attempt it again before then. Heading off to Charleston SC and Savannah. I've never been there and I am really looking forward to it. An early congrats to whoever wins this month. It looks like it will make a lovely quilt.

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Hi Kate, did you get the 3 blocks that I mailed to you this week?

Best to you,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

34 beautiful blocks. Wow, what a treasure!

k8orlando - 3 received
    little helen - 3 received
    calliope - 3 received
    loisf - 2 received
    mary_c - 3 received
    luvtosharedivs - 3 received
    sunnycentralflorida - 2 received
    lola99 - 1 received
    magothyrivergirl - 2 received
    nannykins - 3 received
    bozogardener - 3 received
    quiltingfox - 3 received
    beth7happy - 3 received

We're getting close to the end of the month but there's still time to receive a few more blocks. If you've sent yours but don't see your name on the list, please let me know!

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Kate~very lovely blocks ~ but please do not include me in the drawing for this month. I am still working on the Jan Lotto blocks I won. This month's blocks are going to make a terrific quilt for the winner. I'll be watching from the sidelines again this month!
    The Lotto is so much fun! Thanks again!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I have all the blocks that were sent; I haven't heard from anyone else since I posted the last list on the 24th. I've got a wedding to go to tonight so we'll have the drawing tomorrow instead of tonight.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I've got the list of quilters and the number of blocks they submitted for March. I've taken out the names of those who don't want to be in the running for the prize this month. Here's what happens next: someone on line volunteers to set numbers to the names. You can do that with this 'random number generator' at this link:
    Random Number Generator.
    You just enter 1 for the smallest number and 23 for the largest number and it will give you a column of numbers. You take that column and put it with the column of names that I'll email to you, save it and email it back to me. It may sound complicated but it only takes a couple minutes.

Then we'll have someone else pick a number from 1 to 23 and post that number. Then both the person who generated the number and I can both see which name lines up with that number. And that gives us the winner.

So, who's on line and will volunteer to generate the numbers?

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I'm here...I'll volunteer

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK - cool! I'm emailing the list now.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK - I've got the list back from LittleHelen and we are ready for our other volunteer. Will someone post a number from 1 to 23?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No one else on line? Well, I'm off for the garden for a while but I'll check back later and see if a number has been posted. Then I'll announce the winner.

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I will!
    I also used the random number generator.

Winning number is 2

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nannykins!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Yippee!!!!!!
    i was just going to post to say I would pick the number. Glad Mary beat me to it.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Theresa

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Theresa. You will have a wonderful quilt. Please keep us posted as to how you will assemble them. This was no April Fools joke for you. Lois

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Glad to be of service, Theresa! Even if you don't start on the quilt immediately, we'd all love to see a photo of the blocks.

Kate, I love that random number generator you posted. It makes choosing so simple - no mental bias involved.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Theresa! I know you'll make something beautiful with these blocks.

That random number generator is a very clever tool, isn't it? It's fun to find free things on the internet that are really useful!

• bozogardener
    11 years ago

Congrats Theresa! It's fun and exciting to win, isn't it?

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Congratulations!
    It is so much fun to play the Lotto ~~ but so MUCH MORE FUN TO WIN! I also want to see a picture of all the blocks. You will love these blocks!!

I was so excited with my blocks I won from Jan's Lotto, I am almost finished making the top! It just warms my heart to play with blocks made by my Forum Friends! I'm sure you will feel the same.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I will be watching for the mailman.
    Theresa

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Congratulations!!! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have your address and will try to get them out on Tuesday!

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

Congrats, Theresa!

What a wonderful win. I bet you'll have great pleasure arranging the blocks in a knock-out gorgeous pattern:)

And Kate, thanks again for all the work you do, making this event enjoyable and fun for all. Love your animations and clip art:)

Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt!!!

Julie

• nannykins
    11 years ago

No rush Kate. I have a grandson visiting from France this month, so I doubt there will be much sewing time. Maybe "fondling" time though.
    And I echo Julie's remarks thanking you for the work involved in the Lotto.

Theresa

• nannykins
    11 years ago

No rush Kate. I have a grandson visiting from France this month, so I doubt there will be much sewing time. Maybe "fondling" time though.
    And I echo Julie's remarks thanking you for the work involved in the Lotto.

Theresa

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler