Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Birthday Block Exchange Community - General Discussion (Feb.)

Posted by sandlapper_rose (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 17:17

I didn't see this already posted so I hope it's not that I missed it. I don't want to duplicate one that was posted by Kristene.

This area is for the people participating in the Birthday Block Exchange group. If you are in that group, please share pictures and discuss whatever you would like to discuss or give some pointers on quilting. We are all trying to get to know each other better.

I just returned from California where my older daughter lives and these are the baby quilts she received from me. She is expecting triplets. I made two quilts for the babies when they get here. My younger daughter (dragonflyUSC - who is also in our exchange) made the third one.

Photobucket

Photobucket

They are all the same pattern: one with red, one with blue, and one with green. I'm sorry but I don't have a picture of the third one after it was completed. Maybe Andrea can post one later on.

I hope everyone is doing okay following the bad weather. I was so lucky that I went through airports that were all uneffected by the storm. It seems like the bad weather keeps coming over and over again and there are few places that have not been impacted. Everything is well here in SC. In fact, it was a pleasant winter day here today - in the 60's.

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Birthday Block Exchange Community - General Discussion (Feb.)

Jeanne - adorable baby quilts using the Dr S fabric. When are the babies due to see them? Triplets--very exciting!

You are very lucky to have escaped the airport mess. Glad you got back without delay.

o

Yes, I was very lucky not to have been caught up in all the cancelled flights. I always feel so sorry for the stranded travelers when I see that on the news. Sorry, but also glad it's not me!
Unfortunately due dates are not very exact when it comes to triplets. If she was expecting one baby, I could give you a pretty good guess, but chances are triplets will be delivered much sooner. I will let everyone know when they arrive. Glad you like the quilts with the Dr. Seuss fabrics. We were happy to find a pattern that allowed much of the fabric to be used in bigger sections so the characters and words did not have to get cut up too much.
I hope everyone with the extremely cold weather is doing okay. Stay in and stay warm if you can. I know some are making use of the time inside to catch up on quilting. My sewing machine has been "misbehaving" a lot so it needs to go in for servicing. I think I will shop for a back-up machine. There is so much here that needs to be done. It does sounds like fun - comparing brands and features and trying them out - just hope I can remember price-wise that the machine will only be a back-up and I don't get too carried away. LOL
Jeanne

o

I just wanted to let everyone know that I heard from Kristene (tinyteena). I think some others were like me and were worried about her because she posts online regularly. She said to let everyone know that her computer died. She was using her nephew's computer so she could let us know. She is still participating in the Birthday Blocks so no problem there, but it may be awhile that she is without a computer. She plans to go to the library to use one when she can. So, until we hear that she has a computer again, just contact me with any concerns that you might need to address by e-mail. Otherwise, just post to the threads like you have been doing.
So glad she is okay and I guess we were smart to have two coordinators for the group this year. Things happen; don't they?
Jeanne

o

Jeanne, Triplets???? WOW! Will you being going back out to CA for the delivery and stay awhile? I sure would if it was me. What a time ya'll are going to have. Congratz! And the quilts look great!

Regarding a back-up machine: I got one from Walmart to leave up north at DD's to use....paid less than $200...it has a few fancy stitches and works great! If you only plan to use it for a back-up, they aren't all that bad.

Thank you for the info about Kristene. I'm glad she's ok, too. It's a bummer when computers crash. It's gotten to the place a computer is almost as necessary as a vehicle to us!

SharonG/FL

o

Happy Valentine's Day! I hope you get something sweet or do something sweet today.

Here is the baby quilt that I finished yesterday. It's the first time I made a "scrappy" baby quilt and I like how it looks. Hopefully the new mom will like it, too. This is for a great nephew who was born in January.

Photobucket

Let's see if I can get one more quilt made this month. I hope so!

Jeanne

o

Hi everyone! I'm back on line again. It sure is difficult without a computer at home. My husband decided we can't do without one, because we do receive emails for his business (as well as all my craft contacts)

Thanks Jeanne for starting this thread. I had been busy updating the groups with new members since we had 2 people drop out, but 1 was in 2 groups, so all 3 groups were affected. Hopefully everyone has received their updated copy of their group with their new member in and her selected block pattern/colors and the withdrawn member taken out. Please contact me if you have not received your copy.

I have also finished arranging the volunteers for making up the missed blocks from 2010. A BIG thank you to those generous quilters who gave of their skills and time to help their fellow quilters and ensure the friendship and goodwill continues.

2011 has started extremely well with the majority of blocks arriving before the birthday person's birthdate. In each case there has only been 1 or 2 arriving in the week after the birthday, but an email has been sent explaining the delay and this is wonderful. The mail system has been unreliable everywhere due to the weird weather, so it's much better to post early in case there is more snow or floods!

Talking about weird weather; Australia has had it all this past month - from floods, cyclones, inland tsunamis, bushfires and drought! The state of Queensland has had billions of dollars of damage done there alone! The central section of this state (the size of France & Germany put together) was flooded. The northern section had the cyclone destroy banana plantations and annihilate some towns completely. An inland city had a wall of water gush through the main street without warning, washing furniture out of shops - just like a tsunami. It will take decades to rebuild everything that's been damaged or lost.
But fortunately for me, I live in the state of New South Wales, 300km inland from Sydney, in the mountains. I have been safe from all these catastrophes - just my computer!

Kristene (tinyteena)

o

I was worried about you. I kept reading about the horribly devastating events in Australia and was pretty sure you were safe. So sad for the rest of the country. Puts the inconvenience of a broken computer in perspective. I am glad you are back. (Be careful what you do at MacDonalds - the WiFi is open).

o

well now i'm back in bussiness, but now no printer. have to get the from my mom. and find out what she wants me to do with the one i have now. all my blocks for the year are done. glad everyone is making it thru this winter sure has not been a nice one for a lot of folks.

o

Jeanne,

I love your quilts for the '3 Musketeers'! LOL I just recently found the Dr. fabric :D a neighbor has it for their son and I plan to make a patch quilt for him in about every one I could find.

What is the name of the pattern for yours? I really like it - it is a wonderful idea for the ones that are to busy or with words so they aren't cut up to much.

Marie

o

The quilts at the top are made from a pattern called Nautical Stars in a book by Nancy Brenan Daniel. The book is Slice 'Em & Dice 'Em Quilts. It was published by Leisure Arts in 2004 and I just looked before responding and it is still available from several places online. The large center is cut 16 1/2 x 16 1/2" and the quilt finishes up at 33 1/2 x 33 1/2". I have not made any of the other quilts in the book yet, but there are many appeal to me in the book so I'm sure I will make another from it later on.
Jeanne

o

Whew! My group has three birthdays in March, but I have them completed and ready to mail. I came in late, and with a few other obligations, was weighing on me. But, all is well and they'll get in the post tomorrow along with a block for a comfort quilt going to OR, a couple of small bags going to DD's in IN, some music fabric going to Alabama and a quilt going to Michigan.

Tomorrow's plans are to prepare binding for DD2's 50th BD quilt and sandwich a quilt I made for a Project Linus challenge.

Reading this over, I didn't realize how much I've gotten done this month! WoooooHoooooo

SharonG/FL

o

You achieved a lot this month, Sharon!!!
Give yourself a pat on the back.
I hope you get your other projects completed as planned.
I have lots of projects and blocks to be working on, but taking a breather on all that this weekend - I am going to a quilt lecture by Leah Day this evening and a full day class with her tomorrow. It is arranged through the guild I belong to --- hope to learn a lot!
Jeanne

o

Both of the March blocks I needed to make are completed and mailed. My birthday is the 3rd March one in my group so I only to make two blocks. I also completed alot this month. I finished the quilt top for my B-I-L's comfort quilt which is now a remembrance quilt for my sister. She is sending me t-shirts to use on the backing.
My Sylvia's Bridal Sampler blocks have been on hold for a couple of weeks but I did get 12 blocks made. I also made a quilt for our outreach group at my guild and have made a couple of monthly committment blocks.
AND there are still 10 days to go in the month!

Mary

o

March is a big BD month. Being in 2 groups adds up to 5 birthdays! Must have been those long hot summers.lol
Jayne

o

Give yourself a pat on the back, too, Mary. Sounds like we have some very busy quilters here!
It seems like every year we have lots of January and March birthdays in the groups. I wonder if those are months that have an ususually high number of births -- or if it is just special for quilters -- or for quilters who sign up for the Birthday Block Exchange? LOL
The quilt guild that I belong to had a lecture by Leah Day last evening and I had a full day class with her today. Interesting! I think everyone knows about her web site where she shows how to do much of her free motion quilting. If you don't know about it - take a look. You can do a search for her name and will find it.
Jeanne

o

Today I checked to see if the quilters who had birthday blocks sent for January birthdays had received all of them and yes, all were sent and received! Great job, everyone. Thanks for posting these to the heading with your name and group - it makes it very easy for me and Kristene to check back and make sure everything is running smoothly.
Jeanne

o

You knew I would be back to share the news - our triplet grandsons were delivered today! It is about 2 months early, but no one expected them to be born at full term. Everything is fine right now. They are Robert, Erik, and Devin. Welcome to the world, little guys!!!
Jeanne

o

Wow!! Triplet boys! Congratulations, grandma Jeanne!

o

Thanks for the congratulations, Teresa.
I also completed the binding on my 2010 Birthday Block quilt today. Just the label to add and it will be finished. Here is a picture.

Photobucket

The block is called Dewey Dream and the blocks were made by the Carolina Lilies group last year. In it were: Andrea, Kitty, Kristene, Kate, Cathleen, Jayne, Bill, Melissa, Linda, Nancy, Michelle, and Jackie. Thanks to each one of you again and I hope those who were in the group come to read this thread and get to see it completed.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, it turned out to be a beautiful quilt! Thanks for posting the picture!

Kate

o

Congratulations on the new additions to you family. It will be exciting to learn how each is developing and I know there will be pictures one day to enjoy.
Thank you for sharing your BD quilt. I always look forward to seeing the results and yours turned out very nice. Surprising how balanced the colors were.
Jayne

o

Great to see the finished quilt Jeanne. I remember we were to use Christmas red or green - they all look great together. Also fantastic news about the safe arrival of your 3 precious little grandsons. I'm extremely happy for you and your daughter's family.

Kristene (tinyteena)

o

Congratulations, Jeanne! All the best to you and your family. Also, that is one pretty quilt. Eileen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here