Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

Any Ideas or Tips On This?

dan_the_mailman
12 years ago

I'd like to make a quilt featuring that black-and-white-and-brown spiral, but can't quite figure out how to make it. Any ideas? Or has anyone ever made a quilt with this in it?

After looking at it for awhile, I'm thinking it may be possible to do as part of a lonestar, but I'm not sure. What can you all come up with?

Dan

Comments (10)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Paper piecing! You'd have to draw it in wedges and then piece them together.

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

HAH! Not me in a million years! But to me it looks similar to the Mariner's Compasses, which I love but doubt that I would ever tackle. Along with the Lone Star, and the Double Wedding Ring. Love all of them, but make them?? NOT!

• calliope
    12 years ago

Yes.........paper piecing. It would really make it easy and accurate.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I often see these spiral quilts in shows. I'm sure paper piece patterns are available. Have you tried amazon.com?

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

definitely paper piecing....drafting at it's finest!

The 'wedge' would be the shape of the brown/black section, for example.

I would start with a large plain piece of paper and using a compass draw a circle the size of the red ring that looks like hearts. What goes inside this circle would be one project. Then, I would equally divide to figure the # of outer points (20 on the picture) Make those marks, then draw straight lines from the circle to those points, and build from there.

Once you've drafted the design, then you can cut it apart and have your paper piecing foundations.

Clear as mud?? It's rather advanced drafting, but I'm sure you'd be able to find something online or youtube to give you pointers.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hmmmm... looks like I'm about to learn about paper piecing. That's okay though, learning new techniques is something I love about quilting!

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE!!!

And now, I'm off to find some tutorials...

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found a great tutorial on quilterscache.com, which I'll start with. then I'm going to move onto the "darting minnows" block for more practice before beginning that spiral.

again... THANK YOU LADIES FOR POINTING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Dan,
    If you have access to Judy Mathieson's book "Mariner's Compass Quilts" You will find instructions on how it is done. It is called the Costa Rican carwheel. Good luck

• karpet
    12 years ago

It is very similar to a Giant Dahia - just pointier!
    Karlene

Here is a link that might be useful: spiral giant dahlia

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

What show was this quilt from? It looks like the quilt has a ribbon on it. Was there more information?
    It is very beautiful and unique. The skilled quilter who made this did a beautiful job. Perhaps more information will include the pattern, or designer.

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro