Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadee__3a

Joan Kessler for Concord fabrics???

chickadee__3a
14 years ago

Does anyone recognize or know anything about this brand of fabric? I've just received 3 bins of fabric (free and unused) from someone who is clearing out a house. Many of the pieces have "Joan Kessler for Concord Fabric" printed on the selvedge. They seem to calico type fabric and I'm wondering how they'll wash an wear after being made into quilts. Anyone familiar with the name? TIA

Comments (13)

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

I believe that most of those fabrics were sold at JoAnn's. I still have some! Some of them were terrific, some not so much. Kate's right, though: wash and dry them first, to see how they'll hold up, then make something lovely!

Odessa

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

I have some of them in my stash. I have had no real problems with them. I bought them when I was relatively new to quilting but have other preference now but can find little fault with the quality. Jayne

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

I'd use the fabrics with no qualms at all. Concord Fabrics is a quality producer. I wouldn't expect any more bleeding or shrinkage than I would from a fabric from this year.

• chickadee__3a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much to all of you. I always wash before cutting so it will be interesting to see how all this stuff washes. It's not all Concord fabric, but I think is all 100% cotton. A few I'll have to do the burn test on. There are a couple of strange pieces (Concord) that are as stiff as lightweight cardboard. I've washed one piece and it's still stiff-almost crispy feeling-strange stuff.
    Looking at all this fabric reminds me of an old fashioned looking traditional block quilt. I'll add it to my list od "to do's. I'd also like to try a rag quilt made wth calicos instead of flannel. I saw one in a magazine and it was very pretty.

• kjlou_roadrunner_com
    13 years ago

does anyone have 5 yards of Joan Kessler floral print in blue/pink with ecru background for sale? there are muted yellow flowers as well.

• ruthietern
    8 years ago

I am also looking for a Joan Kessler fabric, large pink roses with a dark green background.

• lynnosborne1
    7 years ago

She was one of my favorites. I'd be interested in purchasing some from you. If you decide to sell the pieces, please let me know by email: lilysquilts@outlook.com. Thanks!

• turtletoes
    5 years ago

I you have any in the Ascot pattern in a red-orange color, I'd be interested in buying it from you.

• HU-990063902
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Joan Kessler is my hands-down favorite designer of all time. GORGEOUS floral patterns. Would sure like to know if they go on sale on Etsy, Bonanza, eBay, etc. Thanks - lyndirosequilts

• HU-802036506
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Looking for the Blue med floral, Joan Kessler, with cream ferns, fusia/burgundy floral, tan and lite teal flowers. Desperate for this fabric My 85 yr old mom made me a quilt, needs the binding. Thank you, deborahkhowell@sbcglobal.net

• mbaryol
    3 years ago

Just picked this up at a thrift store. It looks and feels like 100% cotton. I will check the breathability after washing/drying as I hope to use it for face masks for professionals. They seem to like the black/white masks most.

• cassieahoward
    2 months ago

Hands down yes some of the best quality fabrics! I made quilts from these fabrics back in 80’s and my daughters are still using them today! My daughters are 40 and 46. Very good quality too! I never have washed or starched my fabrics but to each it’s own!