Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joan Kessler for Concord fabrics???

Posted by chickadee__3a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 16:59

Does anyone recognize or know anything about this brand of fabric? I've just received 3 bins of fabric (free and unused) from someone who is clearing out a house. Many of the pieces have "Joan Kessler for Concord Fabric" printed on the selvedge. They seem to calico type fabric and I'm wondering how they'll wash an wear after being made into quilts. Anyone familiar with the name? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joan Kessler for Concord fabrics???

I did a quick search for you and found that she designed fabrics - mostly florals in browns and blues - for Concord from 1975 to 1995. Apparently it was very well known to quilters, especially in the late 70s and throughout the 80s.

I attached a link to a forum from 2006 (not a GardenWeb forum) where I got most of the information. If you go to the site and search for 'Kessler' it will highlight the posts about her.

But to answer your question: it sounds like it should be quality fabric from a well known manufacturer and it's not terribly old. I would wash and dry it before using it because you might have problems with shrinking.

Hope that helps,
Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: quilt history discussion forum

o

I believe that most of those fabrics were sold at JoAnn's. I still have some! Some of them were terrific, some not so much. Kate's right, though: wash and dry them first, to see how they'll hold up, then make something lovely!

Odessa

o

I have some of them in my stash. I have had no real problems with them. I bought them when I was relatively new to quilting but have other preference now but can find little fault with the quality. Jayne

o

I'd use the fabrics with no qualms at all. Concord Fabrics is a quality producer. I wouldn't expect any more bleeding or shrinkage than I would from a fabric from this year.

o

Thanks so much to all of you. I always wash before cutting so it will be interesting to see how all this stuff washes. It's not all Concord fabric, but I think is all 100% cotton. A few I'll have to do the burn test on. There are a couple of strange pieces (Concord) that are as stiff as lightweight cardboard. I've washed one piece and it's still stiff-almost crispy feeling-strange stuff.
Looking at all this fabric reminds me of an old fashioned looking traditional block quilt. I'll add it to my list od "to do's. I'd also like to try a rag quilt made wth calicos instead of flannel. I saw one in a magazine and it was very pretty.

o

does anyone have 5 yards of Joan Kessler floral print in blue/pink with ecru background for sale? there are muted yellow flowers as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here