Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

2011 Birthday Blocks Quilt

This is only the top but I couldn't wait to show you. With the extra blocks and fabric that was sent, plus making a few more, it ended up being 61" X 73"

SharonG/FL

Comments (23)

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Love it! Your choice of borders is perfect!

Mary

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Congratulations Sharon. Nice job of putting it all together. Nice to know people do finish these quilts. I still have my blocks waiting. Maybe this year.
    TFS

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Love it. It just shows how nice a collection of blocks works together when they all use the same background. It has such a clean look. Good job.

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

It is just beautiful! I agree, the blue border is the perfect color for it.
    Congratulations on getting the top completed. I hope to have some of mine to show later in the year.
    Jeanne

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Beautiful quilt, Sharon. Great choice of block, colors and arrangement.

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Excellent arrangement of blocks!
    The black(?) inner border frames the blocks well, and the outer blue echos some of the blue triangle pieces.
    The white background makes the colors pop!

Julie

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Sharon, it's really pretty!
    Donna

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Wonderful! Good choices for the borders! I love this block - so simple to make but yet so striking.

Teresa

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Love it Sharon!

I'm still hand quilting my first birthday block quilt!

Rebecca

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Nice job! It is beautiful. The light background makes the colorful fabric jump. Perfect borders.
    Did Gracie help you make this??? :)

• lola99
    12 years ago

Your quilt top is beautiful. It is so much fun to see the squares put together. TFS

Lola

• day2day
    12 years ago

Sharon, it's lovely.
    Great job putting it together.
    Congratulations on getting it finished.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone and especially to the makers of my BD blocks.

Yes, Marsha, Gracie helped put on the blue border. @:)

This quilt is turning out just the way I visualized it to be. Jewel tones with stark white/WOW background is always a winner! When finished, this quilt is going to my family church in Battle Creek for a fundraising auction to help with a new building.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I second what everyone else said! It's just beautiful and the vibrant colors make it sparkle!

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh boy, did I ever goof up! These are 2010 BD blocks. The 2011 are novelty snowballs.

SharonG/FL

• imn2crafts
    12 years ago

Love this colors,and pattern...D

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I remember making that block for you in 2010 - I even counted the blocks to see if you asked for that block in 2011~~nope!
    I kept my mouth shut - heehee - thought maybe you liked it so much you made 2 quilts!! So, now I can say ~ it is nice one of my blocks is in your quilt as part of your family's church fundraising efforts!

You were gone for your birthday in 2010 - your sweet hubby had to deal with your BD blocks! Am I right???

It is still a great looking guilt and a great block.

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, you're right, Marsha! When I really got to thinking about it, I remembered the Hubs taking care of keeping track of who made what block for me and when I got back home, if you didn't sign the back of the block, I put your name there. So, not only will you be blessed for making a block/s, but your name will be going with the quilt, too.

Whenever making blocks, say prayers and think good thoughts not only for the person who requested them, but also for whoever will end up with them. The receipient is never aware of the power that travels with quilts.

This is one powerful quilt!!! thanks again to everyone.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

"Whenever making blocks, say prayers and think good thoughts not only for the person who requested them, but also for whoever will end up with them. The receipient is never aware of the power that travels with quilts."

Sharon~I like that! I have kept (and repeated) a few thoughts over the years ~ bits of wisdom ~ I felt I could benefit from personally in business & life, this strikes me as one of those--permission to use this one?

I always try to write my name on my blocks in the seam allowance after I received one of your blocks where you had written your name on it. I thought it was such a nice idea!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: They had a silent auction for a couple weeks and today they went live! This quilt brought $200 and they made $2000 with everything. Since they only had 21 items, I think we did pretty good in getting $200. Wish I could have been there for pictures. Hope to get one taken with the wonderful couple who bought it when I'm up there this summer.

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Oh wow! I think you / they did very well on the auction. Thanks for the update!
    I feel very good to have made one of these blocks that is helping your family church.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

Gorgeous quilt. Can't wait to see it quilted.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County