Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannykins_gw

Question

nannykins
10 years ago

Do you ever adjust the presser foot pressure when you are quilting?
On Monday, I spent a couple of hours trying to machine quilt a top (not FMQ) and the stitches were so erratic that I spent the next two days picking it all out.
Today I did some loosening and things seemed to go better. Did i do the right thing or was today a fluke? Very frustrating. I also bought a
SITD foot and it too gave me grief. Not a good couple of days. And if I didn't need eye surgery before, I do now after picking out navy thread on navy fabric.
Ah, tomorrow is another day!
Theresa

Comments (6)

• bee0hio
    10 years ago

I have --infrequently-- adjusted the pressure, but my machine's is supposed to be automatic, & changing pressure is simply a machine setting,not monkeying w/ the bobbin itself. Mainly I do things like re-thread machine, change needle, change thread, or clean out the fur balls when I encounter erratic stitches.

I had that locked eye syndrome recently when I picked out FMQ stitches for days, dk green on black, & it was polyester thread which I found out is wayyyy more fun (NOT!) than cotton thread.

Hopefully you stitches will run smoothly now. Leah Day really recommends cleaning your bobbin case more frequently than I am inclined to want to do it. Someone should invent a self cleaning sewing machine!

• calliope
    10 years ago

Yes, I have adjusted the pressure foot .........the adjustments are there and put outside so their easily accessed for a reason. But then again, I don't have one of those computer-brained machines. I like my machines mechanical and simple. I have done a lot of sewing in my life before I ever took up quilting, and done everything from sheer silks to canvas, and therefore can say that it does make a difference how much pressure is on the foot. It has nothing to do with bobbins.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I always adjust the pressure on the foot. It seems to work at a certain number with one project but needs it lighter on the next. Mine isn't computerized so I just do a guess. If I try and sew a seam with my quilting machine, I set it differently. So, do samples on a small "sandwich" till you get a pressure that works for your project.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I also adjust the pressure on the foot. One of the things I hated about the other machine I traded in was the auto adjustment of the pressure foot. The new machine lets me adjust the pressure, even though it is a computerized machine.
    I am a mechanical sewing machine gal at heart -- Maybe I just like fiddling with all the machine settings. :)
    So, if you have the ability to adjust the pressure, do so! Like toolgranny suggested, make up a small sample and get the settings perfect. I think the SITD foot puts MORE pressure on the fabric, so you would need to compensate for that little ditchy guide.

Also -- check for lint, put in a new needle, and rethread - also recomended.

• nannykins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you friends. I had wanted do the serpentine stitch and so I did do a sample sandwich where it worked perfectly but once I got to the quilt, it was a mess. Foolishly, I did not stop after a row or two, but kept on. Thus two days of unsewing.
    Another lesson learned.
    Theresa

This post was edited by nannykins on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 7:40

• bee0hio
    10 years ago

Oh! Been there, done that! Exactly!

I've concluded that I can use the serpentine (and other "quilting stitches") on smaller quilts like wall hangings or baby quilts, but not on larger quilts. I decided it was because there was just too much drag or weight to feed thru the machine evenly, even tho I used a walking foot. So I only do those stitches on something small.

What a pain to pick out...incredibly tiny bunched up stitches!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida