Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Poppies - finally quilted!

K8Orlando
12 years ago

This is a small wallhanging quilt, just 36"x36", and most of it is a furoshiki cloth. It should have been done in an evening, but it's taken me two months! At the Jax quilt show last fall I saw a demo of these cloths used for cleverly tied purses or gift wraps. I thought this bright poppies furoshiki would look good on my office wall, so I added a pieced black/white border and some gold metallic piping. But when it came time to quilt it I froze! I wanted to do kind of an echo thing but just didn't trust my free motion skills, even though it will be up on the wall where people won't be able to see it very well. Last week I finally bought the open-toe fm foot and decided it was time to attack this quilt!

I'm pretty happy with it but wouldn't want anyone to see the back or to look at it too closely!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Furoshiki Gift Wrapping Cloths

Comments (22)

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

I think it came out scrumptious!

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Beautiful!!!!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Kate, it's beautiful! Congrats on finishing it.

Donna

• faintheart
    12 years ago

It's adorable, Kate! I love that poppy print and the border setting is perfect. Great work!

Dee

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I love it, too. I've had a "poppies" inside my head for a long time but can't seem to let it out. Someday. Your's is brilliant!

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Very pretty, Kate. I think you did a great job quilting it. Hope your birthday was memorable.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Very pretty! The black and white border is perfect - love the quilting and the piping!

I looked at the link - really cool fabrics!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I love black, red and white together. It's beautiful!

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

I'm looking at it closely, and Love, Love, LOVE the glittery quilting on the leaf! You should also be proud of your echo quilting. The piping adds a lovely texture between the red background and border.

Thanks for sharing!

Julie

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Cleaver use of materials. It turned out perfect for a wall hanging and ofcourse the colors are wonderful togeather. Like it a lot. TFS

• day2day
    12 years ago

Your wall hanging is beautiful. I think it will look wonderful on your office wall.
    You did a great job.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• lola99
    12 years ago

I agree with the other comments, you did a very nice job. I especially like the veins on your leaf.

• fran1523
    12 years ago

It's stunning. It will look great in your office.

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

This is a beautiful hanging! So artistic.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had sewn a sleeve along the back to hang this quilt, but when we put it up it just didn't seem to fill up the space the way I wanted. So I took it down and added tabs along the top and beading along the bottom. I'm pleased with the changes!

I wanted the quilt to be visible from the street for people walking by and it is with the red really standing out against the creamy yellow walls! This isn't a good picture because it was taken outside at night, looking in, but it gives you an idea of how it looks. (I see McQueen got into the act, looking out.)

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

It is beautiful......so is McQueen :)
    The beads remind me of dew drops.

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Kate, your work is exquisite! A real treat to see through your window. McQueen looks so proud to be in the picture. Thanks so much for showing what is possible - maybe - someday.

Best Wishes - Corinne

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful!
    Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Thanks so much for showing what is possible - maybe - someday."
    Corinne, I appreciate your words and I hope it inspires you to try something new, but I can't take much credit for this one! The entire center is a pretty furoshiki (kind of an Oriental scarf). All I did was add one border (see quilterscache.com for the border pattern) and some messy quilting! I really like the way it turned out but there wasn't much skill involved in this one. If you have a scarf you like but don't wear much, this would be a good project - turn it into a wall hanging!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

It looks beautiful hung. I'm glad you finished it. I wish I could see it in person. What did you do to the scarf itself, as far as stitching other than quilting? Was all the detail already there in the scarf? I just don't have enough experience to know.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This might show the detail a little better, Bev. I quilted the scarf, which was smooth before I started, with an echo around the images. I did use some of the big red spaces to quilt in a couple more flowers - I think you can see one in the picture to the far right. I wish I had done the border quilting differently but it's OK; I wanted them to be plain and not detract from the center portion but the stitching in the border ended up being too plain for my taste. I kind of thread painted the pink parts on the flowers with matching pink thread. I used a little metallic thread around the edges of the poppies, and their centers, and down the stems. It's all pretty free form.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Thanks for the close up and explanation. I had to look up what tread painting was..probably why I didn't understand what you had done in the first place. So much to learn....

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994