Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
quilt theme for the 2014 Winter Olympics

Posted by lola99 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 16:08

Did you know that the "look" for the 2014 Winter Olympics that will be held in Sochi Russia is based on a patchwork quilt?

I couldn't quite figure out how to show a picture of the banners or the quilt images in this post, but there are many websites and blogs that show it. Click here and scroll down to see some great pictures.

This blog has several links that take you to some great pages.

I loved the images and it makes me want to make a diamond quilt!

Lola

P.S. Thanks Kate for your directions on how to post multiple links

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: quilt theme for the 2014 Winter Olympics

Those are wonderful. I didn't read all the verbage but will later on. Does it say why the patchwork?

o

Interesting! The banners are really colorful. Funny, but I don't think of Russia when I think of quilts, though I imagine they can use them!

Donna

o

Very interesting. There very pretty. Thanks for sharing.

o

Those banners are beautiful!
Browsing through the first link was fun. The theme is repeated everywhere...on T-shirts, banners, podiums, planes, trains, cars, walls...

2014 seems so far away, but I can understand that it will take a couple of years to prepare.

I just purchased a quilt pattern made entirely of diamonds...after reading the directions, I thought, "What was I thinking?!?!?" I believe the quilt is above my 'beginner' level, but after seeing the beauty of the Russian banners and such, I may drum up the courage and go for it!

Julie

o

How cool is that!?! Our craft, up there on banners, t shirts and every thing else. Now I have to do some research on Russian quilters. Thanks for posting the link; I had not seen any of that.

o

It makes me smile :-) I'm seeing more and more barn quilts around, too. Love it!!

Robbi

o

Quote from one of the links:

"This concept for a visual image of the Games in Sochi was based on the principle of patchwork. Such patchworks were an indispensable part of Russian peasants� homes. Over time, this technique became a widely acknowledged branch of traditional arts and culture. An interesting fact from Russian history is that Catherine, the wife of Peter I, personally sewed a patchwork for her husband as a gift.

Today such patchwork craft is known world-wide in countries such as Germany, Australia, the USA, Sweden and Switzerland which all have large patchwork collections."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here