Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missflippins

Doggy Quilt

missflippins
12 years ago

You'll need your sun glasses for this one for sure! This was supposed to be very, very easy and I'm sure it would have been for all you experienced quilters here. But, I'm not showing it too close up because I started, and intended to use my "meander quilting skill" haha and only got as far as the border before I chickened out. So once again I just stitched in the ditch - well sorta... I found the larger quilt hard to handle and will have to make some adjustments to the space I use. The dining room table was the largest flat suface I had but it didn't work out too well. I know I didn't have as much control as I should have. Oh well - another learning experience.

Comments (15)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I like it! And there's not a thing wrong with straight line quilting!

Donna

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I like it too and I love the idea of making a doggy quilt to protect your bed. I've got a dog and a cat who seem to think our bed is their bed all day long - we're not using it then so I guess they're right. Washing the king size quilt isn't easy, so a smaller doggy quilt makes a lot of sense! I use a polar fleece throw right now but a quilt of their own would be more fun.

Kate

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

There's nothing wrong with quilting straight lines. Close together you can call them cross hatching. It's easier than SID and for modern designs like yours, the perfect thing. Good job.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

My doggie would be playing with your bears~LOL~She would probably snuggle under the quilt with a bear or two.
    That said, I love your modern taste! I would have to fold it into quarters so my dachshund could bury herself (and the bears).

Your dining room table probably put the sewing machine too high for you to comfortably meander. Sit on some cushions to raise your body above the machine. I then have to put the foot petal on top of something to make it higher. You want our shoulders to be relaxed and natural.
    I like straight line quilting and I think it is perfect for your doggie quilt. I like the fabrics you chose.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

That is such a cheerful quilt it makes me smile! A doggie quilt is a good quilt to practice your stitches on. I don't think the dogs will be critiquing it. LOL

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Looks good from here. I agree the st. lines are great for some quilts. Nothing to apologize for in MHO. A doggy quilt would be a good spot to practice skills. I am sure yours is going to love it. Nice job.TFS

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Sure, it's bright, but not 'that' bright! Looks good to me!

Marsha, We had mini doxies for a few years.....am still drawn to them.

SharonG/FL

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Wow! I feel like I just walked into a candy store!
    It looks like a disappearing nine patch pattern.
    (I've made a couple quilts with that pattern.)

Your fabrics are brilliant, for sure!

Excellent job!

Julie

• loisflan
    12 years ago

What a great combination of color and patterns, and the borders and binding pull it together so well. I think it looks great. You have nothing to apologize for and everything to be proud of. Very nicely done. Lois

• day2day
    12 years ago

I like it too. It is cheery and will make add a bright spot to any room. Will you use it on your bed for doggy to lie on?

I do a LOT of straight line stitching.
    I have practiced free motion quilting(FMQ) on blocks but haven't attempted it on a quilt.
    My small machine doesn't have the throat area to do FMQ...at least not for me. LOL!
    You are making progress and seem to be enjoying the process.
    That is what is important.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• missflippins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments! Geraldine, I have a little Shih Tzu, who sleeps on my bed. I don't mind that, but she likes to eat her cookies and treats on the bed which often leaves a stain, so the bed cover is constantly in the wash, so I'll leave it on the bed most of the time. This was a good way to try something larger than a table runner.

Thanks for the advice Mag, I have managed to do an acceptable job of FM on small sandwiches on my regular sewing table, so I know your right - I just wasn't very comfy. I will try raising the chair and the pedal if necessary and see how that works for me.

Julie, you are quite right, it is supposed to be "disapearing nine patch". I'm working on another one now that's larger but arranging the blocks differently. It's a good pattern to get a quilt finished quickly.

Corinne

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Very pretty and a great idea!!! Post a pic of the gorgeous dresden plates with the heart circles!
    Rosa

• missflippins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosa, the dresden plate quilt is about 25 years old. I purchased it from an Amish lady in Ontario - all hand quilted. It has been a wonderful, durable (washed many times) quilt. I'm doing my best to preserve it so I don't use it much. It is soft and drapable so I wonder what is in it for batting? I'd really like to know but I'm afraid to take even one little seem apart to see it.

Best wishes, Corinne

• fran1523
    12 years ago

What a lucky dog. That looks great.

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Corinne, your quilt is wonderful! I love the bright happy colors and layout! I am sure your shih tzu is quite content with it. Nothing wrong with straight line quilting. Quilting is a journey and each experience/project is what makes it such fun and so rewarding. You've given me an idea for our dog who loves to nap on hubby's side of the bed in the sunshine during the day. Thank you for sharing!

Dee

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County