Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiendu

Bias Taper Makers

kiendu
10 years ago

Help!

I'm really tired of buying bias tape, and finding it in colors I need to finish a project.

Has anyone gotten the Simplicity Bias Tape Maker? (the electric one that rolls it thru and irons it) It's gotten good and bad reviews, so it's a toss up as far as I'm concerned right now. But, some of the bad reviews could be from limited experience sewers that really didn't know how to operate it correctly? Or it does have problems??

Or do you prefer the little inexpensive Clover tips, that you iron it as you pull it thru?

Help? I've never made my own bias tape before, and could really use your advice. Thank you Ladies! :)

Comments (6)

• kiendu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW! Guess I should of proof read my post! I know it's not taper makers!! LOL! and you can't edit the subject line... only the body... or I'd of fixed it!

I meant BIAS TAPE MAKERS!!

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Funny, I didn't see your typo! Guess my mind just read it as it was supposed to be.

I can't help you with any of your questions...sorry. But I am wondering what you use bias tape for with quilting??

The only time I ever used it (aside from garment sewing)was when I was teaching myself to quilt. I used it as binding for my GFG quilt...my first quilt Never did that again!

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I use bias for applique projects, Jen.

I use the Clover tips with great success. Haven't used them for wider tapes, though. I use mostly 1/4" to 1/2" sizes. I recommend them.

• mary_c_gw
    10 years ago

I never use a bias tape maker for quilting.

I always make a french-fold binding, whether it is bias or straight grain. Cut the strips twice as wide as you need - do include the seam allowances! - press in half, stitch the raw edges side down, fold over and either hand-stitch or machine-stitch the folded edge.

The doubled fabric, especially if cut on the bias, is a much more durable edge. Standard bias tape makers give you only a single layer of fabric on the edge.

• kiendu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I use double fold bias for bindings on a quilt. But, I also use it around potholders, and casserole carriers, and to edge an apron, or a bib, for some applique projects... among many other things.

But I think I'll try the French-fold binding for quilting... Thank you Mary! And just get a few of the smaller clover tips for other projects.

The Simplicity maker is around $60... on sale. Just don't know if I want to spend the money if it's not that good... especially when I could be buying more fabric! LOL!

• meldy_nva
    10 years ago

I have the electric one; I just got tired of finangling the fabric through the Clovers. Clovers work fine, but it does take longer -lots longer- than the electric model.

I've had no problems with the Singer although I do wish they had made the feeding spindle higher so one could roll on more yardage at once (picky, picky me). OTH, if you are making less than 20 yards of tape, I think the spindle is fine. Read the directions carefully and follow the steps exactly. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how FAST it works. It comes with one tip, check amazon to get other sizes.

I've only used it a couple times but I figure the cash savings (from buying pre-made tape) has already just about paid for the machine, and the time savings let me do a lot of sewing.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm