Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Tote to match my sandals

K8Orlando
10 years ago

I have quilt projects waiting but was sidetracked by an idea to make a travel tote to go with a new pair of sandals. Big print for front and back, soft leather for bottom and sides. Fully lined and with an oilcloth&timtex bottom for stability. Mesh pockets, outside (for a book and plane tickets) and inside (for lots of small stuff that could get lost in the bottom of the tote). I added panels of highly reflective material in the side panels and on the top edge of the book pocket.

No fancy sewing, quilting, etc. Just a plain and functional tote, but I like it!

The bag and the shoes:

Inside with mesh pouch, light lining so I can find stuff, and a laminated / removable bottom.

Comments (17)

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

It's really cute Kate! Is the bottom laminated piece made of fabric?

Best to you,
    Sandra

• Robbi D.
    10 years ago

Too Cute!! I love that inner liner :-)

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

I'm impressed. Been trying to decide if I want to make a tote that will serve for both a purse and my new larger camera (used to fit in my small old purse with my mini iPad, but the new one has a long lens :-(

Don't think I have all your skills, but maybe I'll try something.
    LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't have a pattern for this but there are lots of tote patterns available for free, I think. Basically it's just a box. I ran into some questions because I wanted the leather bottom to wrap up on the sides by an inch. It worked but there was some guess-work involved. Then I kept adding stuff, like the inside mesh pouch. I could have planned better! There was a pretty yellow bird on the big print that I carefully positioned for the front... then discovered it is exactly where I needed to place the strapping. The best thing about making totes is that you get to decide exactly what size you want them to be.

LindaB, you can do this!

Sandra, I used laminated fabric on timtex for the bottom liner. It's not attached, so I can take it out and make the bag softer or leave it in for structure. Easy to remove and clean too!

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Kate, that is so clever and cute. And summery. It makes those of us up north yearn for warmer weather. You have quite a talent for totes.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Snazzeeeeee, Kate!! Cute!

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Thanks Kate! At some point in the future I want to learn how to make a tote as I never seem to have enough of them when we go RVing - I like to have each hobby project I take with me in a separate bag. I have a quilted medium sized purse that has a short strap that M-I-L had bought me a few years back and S-I-L is gonna' help me make a larger strap for it later this spring that will go from shoulder to hip to hang diagonally across me for when we are touring places when we go RVing.

Best to you and thanks bunches!,
    Sandra

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A couple more pictures, showing the side panel made with leather and a reflective material I originally bought to use in a backpack. (A backpack I never made.)

And then a second picture showing the same shot but with the camera flash on. If I walked around at night, carrying a tote bag, I would be very safe walking along the road. I never do that, but if I did this would be the bag to carry because on-coming cars would light this thing up like crazy!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Very cute and so functional ... Perfect with your new kicks!!!
    V.

• procrastinator
    10 years ago

Now That is a Fashion Statement! I really like the bag- genious design.

• procrastinator
    10 years ago

Now That is a Fashion Statement! I really like the bag- genious design.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Cute tote! We can't even wear those shoes inside the house, it is so COLD and snowy -- and it is worse in other places. LOL
    Pretty colors.

• Freda
    10 years ago

What a cool tote. The mesh bag is a great idea.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Kate this whole post just ticks me off. Here we are with snow one day, zero degree weather the next day and you are buying sandels...but I could use one of those bags to carry my snow boots in. hahaha Nice work. I love the bright colors.

Jackie

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL - thanks for all the nice comments and deepest apologies for those of you still suffering from this intense winter! In July and August when I'm sick of the heat and still have 2-3 months of it left, you can take your revenge.

I planned to have a book pocket on the outside, but using mesh for that and then adding the big mesh pouch inside just happened as I was making it. Both pieces of mesh were pulled from old luggage that was being tossed because of broken zippers or handles (or both). I knew they might come in handy!

• bev2009
    10 years ago

the bag is adorable. you are so clever!

• sewmoody
    10 years ago

Love it and also really like the sandals, they look comfy.