Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purses

Posted by luvtosharedivs (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 10, 12 at 14:20

I just finished a couple of quilted purse projects and wanted to share them here.

I've made purses/totes before, but this pattern beats them all! It's called 'Baja Traveler'. The top measures about 14" across, bottom is about 11" across, height is about 11" and depth is 5". It is made so sturdy, that it stands up by itself, because of all the fusible fleece backing the fabric. There is one outside pocket, and a bunch of inside pockets.

This first one is in dark fabrics, because I wanted something more for Winter. It has a fabric handle and a zipper closure. (The pattern can be made w/o a zipper, if desired.) The handles are standing up, because they're leaning against a wall. The purse is standing on its own:
Baja Traveler, Winter

I enjoyed making it so much, that I decided to raid my stash and make a wild one for Summer! But I wanted a longer handle, so I used belting material. Here's the front:
Baja Traveler, Summer front

And the back, with an outside pocket:
Baja Traveler, Summer back

The attached "flowers" were made with a product called 'Glubers'. The directions called for a "bling" to be attached to the center of the flower, but I used buttons instead, since I have a jarfull of saved buttons from years of sewing.

Please share your pics of purses, totes and bags:)

Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purses

Those are very cute, Julie! Nice job.

I'm so picky about purses that I should just make my own. They can't be too big, need to have outside pockets, etc.

Donna

o

Very nice! Lovely fabric choices!

Teresa

o

How fun, Julie. Your purses are great. Smart use of your stash too. Lois

o

Beautiful! I love the flower.

o

Your purses are really cute! I especially like the dark one.

I made small leather purses for a year and sold them at art fairs after a layoff from my 'real' job. I made enough money to support my fabric and leather habit but not enough to pay the mortgage! I have to admit it was a lot of fun though.

These are some examples of the ones I made. They were mostly small, hands-free kind of bags.

o

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

Kate, your leather purses are adorable!
I made enough money to support my fabric and leather habit but not enough to pay the mortgage!
LOL! I think we all have expensive craft hobbies, and no matter how much we sell, we just can't make a living at it.

I used to make bags about that size, but out of fabric to match the dresses I wore, back in the 60's.

Thanks for sharing.

Julie

o

Nice bags. I've made a couple of bags and love having something unique and one of a kind.

o

I'm always amazed how created some people can be. I love the leather purses, too. I've never sewn with leather. Do you do it on a regular machine?

o

My trusty Elna handled it with no problem, even the heavier leathers. I use a needle specifically designed for leather but they are available everywhere. I liked using the raw edge of a finished hide because the curves and uneven edges were so interesting.

o

ooo Julie and Kate.....such great bags! They're all sooo pretty!

o

Pretty bags!

o

Thank you again, all!!

Julie

o

Julie I love the quilted purses you made! They look awesome! :-)

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Just love that purse! Fabric choice is great! I haven't bought a purse/tote in over 6 years! Since I found out I could make them and get EXACTLY what I wanted, unique one of a kind, and less expensive than the "store bought" ones I used to buy. I even made a purse insert so I can change bags daily by lifting the insert out of one and into another, takes only seconds. Wish I could remember how to post a picture here, would post one of my latest bags.
Thanks for sharing. Now off to find that pattern, want one of those too!
Murphy

o

Love them! I made a purse a few years ago, and still use it in the summer. I need to make a winter version. It is still my favorite!

Robbi

o

Thanks, Sandra, Murphy and Robbie!

Murphy,
To post a picture here, you need to first upload your pictures from your computer to a free hosting site. I happen to use Photobucket. You can then copy the HTML code under the Photobucket picture, then paste it in your message. It will then show in your preview, then you can click submit. One other suggestion: You might want to resize your photo to under 100 kb for easy loading, especially for anyone who uses dialup. I use Irfanview (free) for resizing, but I think you can also resize in Photobucket.

I'd LOVE to see your bags!

Julie

o

Love them so smart and stylish !!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here