Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

Purses

luvtosharedivs
12 years ago

I just finished a couple of quilted purse projects and wanted to share them here.

I've made purses/totes before, but this pattern beats them all! It's called 'Baja Traveler'. The top measures about 14" across, bottom is about 11" across, height is about 11" and depth is 5". It is made so sturdy, that it stands up by itself, because of all the fusible fleece backing the fabric. There is one outside pocket, and a bunch of inside pockets.

This first one is in dark fabrics, because I wanted something more for Winter. It has a fabric handle and a zipper closure. (The pattern can be made w/o a zipper, if desired.) The handles are standing up, because they're leaning against a wall. The purse is standing on its own:

I enjoyed making it so much, that I decided to raid my stash and make a wild one for Summer! But I wanted a longer handle, so I used belting material. Here's the front:

And the back, with an outside pocket:

The attached "flowers" were made with a product called 'Glubers'. The directions called for a "bling" to be attached to the center of the flower, but I used buttons instead, since I have a jarfull of saved buttons from years of sewing.

Please share your pics of purses, totes and bags:)

Julie

Comments (17)

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Those are very cute, Julie! Nice job.

I'm so picky about purses that I should just make my own. They can't be too big, need to have outside pockets, etc.

Donna

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Very nice! Lovely fabric choices!

Teresa

• loisflan
    12 years ago

How fun, Julie. Your purses are great. Smart use of your stash too. Lois

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love the flower.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Your purses are really cute! I especially like the dark one.

I made small leather purses for a year and sold them at art fairs after a layoff from my 'real' job. I made enough money to support my fabric and leather habit but not enough to pay the mortgage! I have to admit it was a lot of fun though.

These are some examples of the ones I made. They were mostly small, hands-free kind of bags.

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

Kate, your leather purses are adorable!
    I made enough money to support my fabric and leather habit but not enough to pay the mortgage!
    LOL! I think we all have expensive craft hobbies, and no matter how much we sell, we just can't make a living at it.

I used to make bags about that size, but out of fabric to match the dresses I wore, back in the 60's.

Thanks for sharing.

Julie

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Nice bags. I've made a couple of bags and love having something unique and one of a kind.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I'm always amazed how created some people can be. I love the leather purses, too. I've never sewn with leather. Do you do it on a regular machine?

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

My trusty Elna handled it with no problem, even the heavier leathers. I use a needle specifically designed for leather but they are available everywhere. I liked using the raw edge of a finished hide because the curves and uneven edges were so interesting.

• beth7happy
    12 years ago

ooo Julie and Kate.....such great bags! They're all sooo pretty!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Pretty bags!

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you again, all!!

Julie

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Julie I love the quilted purses you made! They look awesome! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Just love that purse! Fabric choice is great! I haven't bought a purse/tote in over 6 years! Since I found out I could make them and get EXACTLY what I wanted, unique one of a kind, and less expensive than the "store bought" ones I used to buy. I even made a purse insert so I can change bags daily by lifting the insert out of one and into another, takes only seconds. Wish I could remember how to post a picture here, would post one of my latest bags.
    Thanks for sharing. Now off to find that pattern, want one of those too!
    Murphy

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Love them! I made a purse a few years ago, and still use it in the summer. I need to make a winter version. It is still my favorite!

Robbi

• luvtosharedivs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Sandra, Murphy and Robbie!

Murphy,
    To post a picture here, you need to first upload your pictures from your computer to a free hosting site. I happen to use Photobucket. You can then copy the HTML code under the Photobucket picture, then paste it in your message. It will then show in your preview, then you can click submit. One other suggestion: You might want to resize your photo to under 100 kb for easy loading, especially for anyone who uses dialup. I use Irfanview (free) for resizing, but I think you can also resize in Photobucket.

I'd LOVE to see your bags!

Julie

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Love them so smart and stylish !!!