Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackier123

My New "Old" Toy

jackier123
11 years ago

I just received this Singer Featherweight 221 (1953) today. It has the original manual, case and accessories. It purrs like a kitten. I got it for a steal! The case is in great shape and even still has the key. Featherweights are a bit slow for my liking, but I could not pass this one up.

Jackie

Comments (13)

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I am sooooo jealous!!!! Congrats on your find. I have looked and looked for that year. Did you find it locally or on your trip?
    It looks beautiful. Yes, they are a bit slowwwwwww....and take getting used to..........but fun! I have to get in the "FW zone" when I sew with mine. Keep it oiled and lubed (2 different products and different areas - follow the manual.)
    I also recommend protecting the flip up table from resting against the head - I made a 'cozy' from the tea towel Robbi gave us at Retreat after I saw Teresa's 'cozy' she made for hers.
    Enjoy!!!!

• jackier123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got it at a local charity thrift shop LOL. It was hidden amongst a bunch of broken suitcases. When I took it to the counter to pay, they only wanted $20 for it. Since it was for charity, I gave them $125 which is still a great buy (It was all the cash I had with me). They were shocked when I gave them the extra money. In the past 3 years our area has been hit really hard by tornadoes and this charity has helped many people.

I am pleased with it. The only thing that I see that needs to be replaced is the rubber feet on the bottom. It came with the hemmer foot, the adjustable hemmer, a binder (looks cool), edge stitcher, gatherer foot, ruffler, and two regular feet. Even the light works!

Jackie

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

What a deal! Congratulations...what a find!!!
    V.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Wow! You are very kind to be so giving and honest in your lucky purchase. Makes you wonder how the charity ended up with it - certainly they didn't know what a gem they had!

You can buy the correct rubber feet easily.

It was certainly your lucky day - and theirs.

I lost buying one Thursday by 1/2 hour! Boo-hoo!

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Woo Hoooooo for you, Jackie! What a deal! Like you, I would have been guilted into giving them more than the asking price. She looks to be in great shape. So what will you name her?

Happy for you,
    Teresa

• colleenny
    11 years ago

What a great find. Have fun with her. Colleen

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Congratulations! I found mine at a sale for a dance group who were offering it for $10 but I wasn't a generous as you but did up it to $20. It also has the case and accesseries, even a buttonhole attachment but I had to find a manual. Yours is 2 yrs. older then mine and appears to have been used less.
    Enjoy........I don't use mine much but fun to have.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Congrats on your great find! And for having such a generous, caring spirit!

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

Fantastic find, Jackie. This is the same machine that my mother had and she taught me to sew on. Would be great to have one again, as a back up. My new machine is currently being repared (only 6 months old). I had fun using Beverly's featherweight at Camp last year.
    Kristene

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Oh, Jackie, she is pretty. Good for you giving the charity the fair price for her.

beverly

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

Awesome!! Makes me want to shop the thrift stores more often :-)

Robbi

• polardream
    11 years ago

Jackie, you really scored! She looks like she is in great condition. I got mine last fall and it is different than my Pfaff by far, but should be good for traveling.

Congrats!
    Sue

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Congrats on your new find! New sewing machines are so fun, even if they are old new sewing machines! Sometimes, especially if they are old! I know the Featherweights have a cult following and I hope it serves you well for many years.... even if it's a little slow, it is a great conversation piece and decorative item!