Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annief_gw

'disappearing nine patch'

annief
16 years ago

I am currently having a love affair with the "disappearing nine patch" quilt pattern. Has anyone else out there tried it? I have a link below if you'd like to take a look at it. The top is quick and easy to make in fact, I have been making charity quilts and the last 6 or 7 I've made have been using this pattern. I can complete a quilt top from cutting to finished top in less than 2 hours and all of them look different based on the fabric used and the placement of the blocks. I use a 6 or 8 inch block as a time saving method as you don't need as many blocks to complete the quilt top, but you could use the smaller squares as in the tutorial.

http://quiltsatcs.blogspot.com/2007/04/disappearing-9-patch-tutorial.html

Comments (25)

• love2sew
    16 years ago

That is a fun pattern to work with. It is also known as 9 to 4. I only like it for scrap charity quilts. The middle blocks tat you cut through seen to always dominate the pattern.

Hope you can post some pictures...we love pictures and projects.
    Jeane

• toolgranny
    16 years ago

Yes, I love that pattern for a quick project to give away. So many color options when you go scrappy.
    Linda

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

Another name I've seen is Tossed Nine Patch by QIAD.

SharonG/FL

• mollie_booklover
    16 years ago

I'm also a little nutty about the "9 to 4" pattern. I don't consider it for only charity-type quilts at all! I like them for "I Spy" quilts that are super cute and entertaingly educational for kiddies. Placement of the I Spy squares in the corners ensures their remaining whole for the final arrangement. I particularly like the one Biwako made months ago using yellow and aqua and the colors used with the I Spy blocks. Very pleasing to my eye!

• mayme
    16 years ago

I love that pattern and have made several.
    Mayme

• jeener
    16 years ago

Yep. I've been seduced by the disappearing nine patch too. I think I have five in the works. It'll be a while before I get any of them quilted, tho. Two of the tops are complete.
    We're also doing one as a swap for our summer sewing camp. Everyone brings blue nine patches and we'll swap, then teach the 9 to 4 technique. Should end up really scrappy!

Jean

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Great pattern! I am going to make this one next. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

A block that will finish around 16" (from 6" squares)... This will use up some of my Asian fabric stash & the left over quilt backing from my last project. I am not sure about the fabric in the upper L corner, but it's what I have on hand and there's too much snow to go to town.

{{!gwi}}

Cheers,
    Michelle

• calliope
    16 years ago

Ohhhhhhh I really like that and was just sitting here playing around with fabric and placement in my mind. I have quite a bit of fabric I'd like to use in a scrappy, but think this might be a better alternative and something new to try. Thanks!

• bozogardener
    16 years ago

Here's one I did with a 5" charm pack.

{{!gwi}}

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

I really like it Michelle.
    Ms. Bozogardener how did you lay out the charms to get the red corners in each block??? It is a gorgeous quilt.
    Rosa

• bozogardener
    16 years ago

Hi Rosa, my name is Tamie :) Thank you! The red square was always the middle block of the nine patch, the charms were the middle squares on the outside that were cut through, and the plain beige squares were the outside corners, with a random red print here and there. So when they were cut, the red squares turned into cornerstones. I then laid them straight, rather than turning like how most of them are. This was a very fast top.

• lockeb
    16 years ago

Annief, thanks for the link for this pattern..I think it's wonderful...what a way to make so many colorful quilts.....certainly a great way to use a lot of our stash of FQ's, etc..I love what you've done..
    Tamie, Great job also...
    I'm now inspired to work on a disappearing 9-patch or 2 or 3 or 4...
    thanks a million,
    Bill

• rosajoe_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks Tamie. I made a 9x4 for my DGD using animal prints randomly place and it turned out cute.
    I am going to try your pattern. I did not recognize it as a 9x4 and I really like it.
    Rosa

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Very nice, Tamie! I loff the red accent squares!!

Michelle

• User
    16 years ago

Well, if we're doing a Show & Tell, here's my 9-4 for a quick baby gift.
    {{!gwi}}

• nanajayne
    16 years ago

Like your baby quilt. Nice choice of colors. I am going to have to try making the 'disappearing 9 patch' one of these days. It seems to have lots of possibilities. Jayne

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Wow, this lilac/purple quilt above is really lovely, such a nice, harmonius coloring.

Well, it's all YOUR fault, I'm not supposed to be starting any NEW work now, yet everytime I see these 9-4 discussions I am really intrigued.

So I did it, I started cutting some samples of it, just 2 blocks 2 nights ago, 2 diff. blocks tonite ... well you know how THAT goes. It IS all your faults!

It looks quite nice, but not sewn together yet, nor have I any cameras in the house, so pix will have to wait (sorry to be a tease)!

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

I love the colors in that one, Dian!

• chrizty
    16 years ago

wow some beauitful quilts!!! i never did one but they do look fun:)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    16 years ago

dian, The lavendar looks so soft and gentle...I really like it.

Michelle, I love your Asian print block. I like your idea of having plain squares that get sliced and keeping the patterned fabric in the corners.

Tami, I had to make my brain work, but I figured out how you did yours. I can see that it would be a quick quilt to make!

For me, I think it's a given that the center block remain the same in all the blocks.

Here's one I did last year....

• biwako_of_abi
    16 years ago

What a delightful quilt! Of course, turquoise and yellow is one of my favorite color combinations, and it looks as if the butterflies were going to flutter right out at you.

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Well I'm here to report it's VERY addictive. I assembled my EIGHTH block today (think I'll stop at 9, since it's a sample for gosh sake), that'll be 36" square. Really fun!

• barbara_in_pa
    16 years ago

The more I see of this block and the variations I need to try it... oh rats I am adding to my UFO pile again. Darn it all!
    Barbara

• treynmama
    16 years ago

This is one of the coolest blocks I have seen. I can't wait to try it, just as soon as I master loading my quilt on my frame. Thanks for sharing.