Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bee0hio

Questions re: Your Quilt Guild

bee0hio
10 years ago

I am interested in feedback from those who belong to a guild.

Do you carry any liability insurance for your quilt shows, or any other public event? If so, do mind sharing what insurance company & the price?

Ours guild carries liability insurance from State Auto. The price went from $377/yr to $477/yr. It does not cover any member or members' family (helpers @ quilt show, e.g.). It *only* cover liability for the public visitors. Same way for our meetings... only those who are guest speakers, etc. are covered, say they would fall & incur an injury. The venue for our show does carry liability, but requests that we also carry our own. The venue itself is pretty expensive, imho, for a 2-day show + 1 day set up is $3,000. But it is nice, big, air conditioned, ample parking, good location, kitchen. Our show is every other year, alternating with an auction. So those are the only 2 "public" events we hold. The auction has been in various other cheaper venues, church basement/auditorium for example.

I wonder if there might be some benefit thru a national quilt organization? Would they have some type liability insurance for members?

I am the Treasurer of our guild... looking to save a bit of $, if we can. I realize rates might be different in various States, but interested in how other guilds handle this.
Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Comments (8)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I'm not sure of costs, but our guild does carry insurance for the show. I don't know specifically if it covers people, but I do know it covers the quilts. Our show is held in the public library who sponsors our meetings, and I'm sure they have their own.

I also know that when we have certain guild events like bus trips or Quilt In, it is a member only event because non-members are not covered by said insurance.

I also know that a certain number of board members must be members of AQS and that somehow it's tied to the insurance.

Not sure if that's of any help whatsoever, but it's what I know....

• bee0hio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your response Jennifer. I had thought there was some sort of insurance associated with AQS, however I visited AQS website & I can't find anything related to insurance tied with membership benefit.

Our current unsurance does NOT cover any quilts in our Show & that fact is disclosed on the entry form. It suggests that ones home owners insurance might cover personal quilts loss/damage.

EDIT to add:
    I did just find that NQA offers some sort of insurance access tied to chapter membership. Could your guild's be thru NQA rather than AQS, Jennifer?

This post was edited by BeeOHIO on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 21:32

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

That is entirely possible, Bee. It might be NQA

• td_rk
    8 years ago

I belong to a small guild that insures through NQA. We just had a show. The coverage for our quilts was minimal. For a queen sized quilt it was a hundred dollars. It makes me question the rest of the coverage our guild has.

• trouzernc
    8 years ago

I think our guild belongs to NQS and we cover only the quilts at our shows. We have to have some members of our guild as NQS members just so we can get this insurance.

• td_rk
    8 years ago

We have to have 5 members belong to nqa to get insurance. I'm wondering if there are other places to get coverage.

• msmeow
    8 years ago

My guild purchases insurance through a local broker. Try Googling either small business insurance or non-profit insurance.

Our basic coverage includes our meetings, classes and retreats, and we purchase extra riders for our quilt show when it comes around.

Donna

• td_rk
    8 years ago

Thanks Donna. That sounds like the way to go.