Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Quilt U class project finished

msmeow
12 years ago

Hi, everyone - I've been taking a class called Flower Power at Quilt U. She taught us how to really analyze a photo in order to recreate it in fabric. She also taught us her upside-down applique technique, which I like a LOT! :)

Here is my finished orchid:

And here is the original photo:

Donna

Comments (19)

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Lovely! Oh the possibilities with photos. I could see Grandma's old house recreated, or a favorite part of the garden.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Gorgeous. This process will probably help you see and appreciate nature more.

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Beautiful!! I love the fabrics you chose for the orchid!
    Rosa

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Donna, it's absolutely beautiful! Do you have training in art or fabric art? I think the colors and shadings are so stunning. Please tell us how it's done. For instance, the reddish edges on the leaf in the lower left. Surely that can't all be applique. And the shading in the flower. I think you did a fantastic job.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

It's lovely, Donna. I'm sure you learned techniques you will use forward. Good job.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful! You are a good very good student.

• msmeow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all!

Lois, no art background...just the QU class. The shading is done with thread painting after the applique is done. So - the red edges on that one leaf are just satin stitching with red thread.

I'll be working on my stash of mottled fabrics...they work perfectly for this type of project. :)

Donna

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I love it. That's really cool!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Fantastic!
    I could study it for hours if I saw it in person.
    I love thread painting effects on fabric.

You are very gifted!

Julie

• day2day
    12 years ago

It's lovely.
    You did a fantastic job.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Outstanding!!! It's a great technique, but obviously your skills brought it to life. Good job!!!

• lola99
    12 years ago

Donna,

Congratulations on a beautiful quilt! I took Flower Power several years ago but I didn't finish my project. You are inspiring me to pull it out again.

Despite the fact that I didn't finish my flower, I use upside-down applique from time to time, it's a great technique.

Once again, your quilt is gorgeous. You should be very proud.

Lola

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Your Orchid quilt is stunningly beautiful. What a great job you have done. I'm sure your teacher was very pleased with you too.

Best wishes - Corinne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Donna, You surely have to be pleased with how your orchid turned out! You could make a wallhanging with a few more squares of flowers and show off your new talent! Is that a picture of your orchid?

SharonG/FL

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Wow! That is amazing. You did a great job.

• msmeow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aw, thank you all so much!

Sharon, it's not my orchid, but I did take the photo. It was taken at Hillwood Estate in DC a few years ago. They have a whole greenhouse full of orchids.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Donna, Take pics of a few varieties of orchids, do your magic then you can hang a grouping on the wall. Sounds like fun to me.......

SharonG/FL

• sunnycentralfl
    12 years ago

Wonderful quilt...so pretty.

I just love your creative spirit and abilities!

TFS,
    Gwen

• grammyp
    12 years ago

Well, that deserves an A+ in my book. The picture is beautiful, and the quilt is stunning. Great job.

beverly

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022