Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

And my masterpiece of 2010

mary_c_gw
13 years ago

This one took FOREVER, LOL. DH had been looking through some of my quilting books and decided this was the perfect pattern and in the perfect colors for his neice, Joanne.

So, of course, I can't take the creativity credit, but I'm pretty proud of the piecing and quilting! And sometimes it's nice having a "recipe" all spelled out.

Blocks and star sashing:

Multiple pieced borders - and this pic shows the colors most accurately:

Back and label:

Comments (19)

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I should have given credit where credit is due!!

The pattern is in Judy L. Laquidara's book "Nine-Patch Extravaganza" and is called "Star Struck".

• shannonmomof4
    13 years ago

The quilting is just lovely!
    Shannon

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

That was a winner. I like the pattern very much and you did a wonderful job. I agree sometimes it is nice have plan established so all you have to do is enjoy the process. TFS Jayne

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Work of art! Love the borders. Good job. You have reason to be proud! We're proud of you, too.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

How beautiful! I love the star design and the borders. She will love it!

Teresa

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

NICE!!!! I wish I could do FMQ as well as what I see done by members of this form. Love the pattern you chose.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all for the compliments! Jo did love it - we sent it as a Christmas present for her. It coincidentally arrived during a big power outage in Yorkshire, so she was especially happy to have a lap quilt.

And Barbara, my free-motion quilting stinks. I use pantograph patterns on a long arm - just follow the line with the stylus.

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

What a great Christmas quilt! And yet it doesn't scream Christmas--it will look at home in all four seasons. Very nice!

• grammyp
    13 years ago

Oh, he chose well. Love the colors, and sure wish I could quilt like that.

beverly

• day2day
    13 years ago

Beautiful quilt,mary. I like the colors and your multiple pieced borders are amazing. You did a great job. Sounds like you and your DH make for a good team. TFS.

~Geraldine

• fran1523
    13 years ago

That is a masterpiece Mary. Your fabric choices really compliment the design and the border is spectacular. Great quilting too.

• calliope
    13 years ago

I haven't seen a quilt you have made I didn't think was beautiful. You have a gift, Mary, and what is so special is that you share it freely. That makes it particularly special.

• bee0hio
    13 years ago

It is beautiful Mary! What a wonderful & priceless gift you have given.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're all making me blush, LOL. Thank you for all the praise, what an ego boost!!

Honestly, I could have come up with the body of the quilt on my own - I use star sashing frequently. But those borders - FIVE of them, all matched up - umm, no. No credit to me.

I'm not even math challenged - I can do it. But that doesn't mean I enjoy it, LOL. That first border (Light green with the cream triangle sticking up in it) she gave both templates and a paper piecing pattern. That isn't a standard triangle.

If you're impressed, do take a look at the book, whether you buy it or in your library. Judy Laquidara is a master designer and long-arm quilter.

• lola99
    13 years ago

I'd love to see the quilt, but the only picture that shows up is the label. Anyone else not able to see the quilt?

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

Beautiful -- the colors are perfect for this design. The gold border sets it off.
    Judy Laquidara would be very proud!

• vicky4x4
    13 years ago

I wasn't able to comment before because I could log in but Mary this is a beautiful quilt.

Vicky

• laurainsdca
    13 years ago

That is absolutely gorgeous, I really love the quilting!!!! The colors and pattern are great too. I love stars.

• bopeep
    13 years ago

Beautiful.....I Love everything about it !!!!!!
    bopeep