Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juttz

6 Hour Quilt

juttz
14 years ago

I have made this type of quilt quite a few years ago when I took a class... I was wondering if anybody has made this type of quilt and how they liked it..The one I made was a queen size that I gave to my mom who gave it back to me a year before she died...I cherish it and being that it was made out of chintz fabric, it is a very nice soft quilt..I am going to be making another one but you cant find chintz anymore...I wish I still had the pattern that I used when I took the class since the one from Eleanor Burns site is a bit harder to follow....Judy

Comments (17)

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Are you thinking of Kaye Wood's pattern? Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: 6 hour quilt

• juttz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oooops, I meant Kaye Woods... must be a senior moment...lolol...I see the pattern is for sale which was free for a very long time...I dont even remember where I downloaded the pattern...Judy

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Probably here. But you're mistaken about the pattern ever being free. Kaye Wood never posted that pattern for free. She publishes the pattern, and expects to make a reasonable profit from her efforts.

Lots of people were making this pattern available on this and other forums, and Spike (former GW owner) was presented with a "Cease and Desist" order.

It was only a $4 or $5 pattern at the time, but you should have seen the whining going on! Several people were permanantely banned when they continued to arrange to give away copies of the pattern.

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

Going by looking at the picture, it appears to be one giant log cabin block. Instead of starting with a square, you would start with a strip.

Rebecca

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

I agree. Why would you need a pattern? Looks simple to me. But, I agree with Mary that sharing patterns is not done.

• juttz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rebecca, the concept of the pattern is to take each strip and sandwich it, then piece it to the next..Im not sure how my teacher got the pattern and if she was distributing the pattern to all of the class members, I would think that would have been something she shouldnt have done..the class was at our local sewing machine sales shop... and Im really not sure if I got the pattern from here...I would just like to know if anybody else has made this quilt and what was their opinion on it...Judy

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Teachers buy a license to teach the pattern to a certain number of classes, and are allowed to distribute the pattern to the class members.

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

Ah,I see, like a quilt as you go technique?

• Nancy Morris
    14 years ago

I made this as a baby quilt. I was new to using a serger so sometimes I had to go back over a seam. I used bright colors and I like the way it came out.

Nancy

• lindaoh_gw
    14 years ago

My quilt group made about 22 of these quilts for the local nursing home to be used as lap robes. We worked in an assembly line and had a great time. We used a heavy fabric and didn't add any batting.
    Linda

• empress
    14 years ago

The book was in a box that had not yet gone to storage!! The pattern for the 6-hour quilt is in the book, "Strip Quilting Projects" (KWB6) and was originally called "Reversible Crib Quilt." (It was Project 5 in the "Strip Quilting" series as shown on PBS-TV.) The book's copyright is 1989.

There is a copy of the book on sale at ebay right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kaye Wood's Strip Quilting Projects

• amazingcm
    14 years ago

Wow! I am taking a Kaye Woods Class next month. grace

• easystitches
    14 years ago

I used too heavy batting in this quilt & the seams were way
    too thick, too thick for a baby & I gave it to my doggy!
    It was a long time ago but I didn't enjoy the process.
    At the time I thought it would be great for charity quilts.

• empress
    14 years ago

I was asked to share a photo of the quilt. I didn't really take this picture to show the construction, but I think you can pick out the seams well enough to know how it goes. Assemble like a courthouse steps quilt, though using a rectangle as the starting, center block instead of a square. To avoid some confusion, this is hand quilted in a straight line down the middle of each strip, the only seams are to connect the strips.
    {{!gwi}}From Val's Public Photos

• Rolaine453_msn_com
    13 years ago

Hi all, I sent for the book for the 6 hour quilts years ago and made all my grandchildren one. Since then I have 3 more grandchildren and I brought the material to make those. Good directions in the book and quilts came out nice.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Hi Judy! Long time no see. I've never made one of these quilts......just wanted to say hi.

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler