Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally some pics from me - QOV

Posted by mary_c (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 12:47

This QOV was from the block lotto I won - so thanks all! I actually completed and mailed this one last year - it's good to have a fully functional computer again!

QOV 25

QOV 25

QOV 25

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally some pics from me - QOV

So happy to see you again Mary~I've missed you.
Did you have to get a new computer?
FYI-If you have problems logging in or posting - it is GW not you.
Nice quilt. Very Good use of your winnings.

o

Yes - new computer, updated our ancient local area network, and changed our ISP due to lousy service.

DH was so pleased with my new computer, he went out and bought the same model this morning, LOL. The old ones were 8 and 9 years old, so not before time.

o

Nice to see you back posting! Missed you!

Kate

o

What size do you make these quilts? Do you back them with flannel or regular cotton?

o

This one is 52 x 66". The blocks are 12", sashings are 2", borders are 4". I have often made a 12-block quilt like this with a larger outer border of 6". I back them with cotton, mostly because I don't care for flannel.

o

Why I asked about the flannel is that I have been making similar quilts for chemo patients and the request was that they be backed with flannel. It has to do with skin sensitivity. I wondered if the same was true for QOV.

o

That's a good point about the skin sensitivity. That might certainly be a problem for some of the wounded soldiers.

All the QOV Foundation site says is "100% cotton", so that would certainly include flannels, but would exclude fleece. I've heard of some backing their quilts with Minkee - but that's also a type of fleece.

I think the differentiation is that while flannel and fleece and Minkee are all cuddly, the cotton flannel breathes, and will keep one warm, while not trapping in excess heat and raising the body temperature of the patient artificially.

o

Mary, beautiful job! When you do the QOV do they have a specific size minimum/max they like? I know Project Linus has some "suggested" sizes but didn't know about QOV.

Sue

o

Thanks Mary!

Theresa

o

Love the pattern and quilting that you did on this. Great job for a worthy cause.

o

Polardream Sue,

They do have suggestions on size, but let me just post the website. I'm still recovering my files and notes on this stuff - you can explore the site yourself. I did used to have this stuff at my fingertips....

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilts of Valor Foundation

o

Another reason for all cotton and no synthetics in some settings is that synthetics can generate static electricity and can't be used in rooms where oxygen is in use.

o

Wonderful quilt for a great cause. Nice quilting on thios one too. TFS.

~Geraldine

o

Great looking quilt and beautifully quilted as well. Enjoy your new computer.

o

Lovely quilt & a great job on it. Bless you for your donation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here