Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

Finally some pics from me - QOV

mary_c_gw
13 years ago

This QOV was from the block lotto I won - so thanks all! I actually completed and mailed this one last year - it's good to have a fully functional computer again!

Comments (15)

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

So happy to see you again Mary~I've missed you.
    Did you have to get a new computer?
    FYI-If you have problems logging in or posting - it is GW not you.
    Nice quilt. Very Good use of your winnings.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes - new computer, updated our ancient local area network, and changed our ISP due to lousy service.

DH was so pleased with my new computer, he went out and bought the same model this morning, LOL. The old ones were 8 and 9 years old, so not before time.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

Nice to see you back posting! Missed you!

Kate

• nannykins
    13 years ago

What size do you make these quilts? Do you back them with flannel or regular cotton?

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This one is 52 x 66". The blocks are 12", sashings are 2", borders are 4". I have often made a 12-block quilt like this with a larger outer border of 6". I back them with cotton, mostly because I don't care for flannel.

• nannykins
    13 years ago

Why I asked about the flannel is that I have been making similar quilts for chemo patients and the request was that they be backed with flannel. It has to do with skin sensitivity. I wondered if the same was true for QOV.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a good point about the skin sensitivity. That might certainly be a problem for some of the wounded soldiers.

All the QOV Foundation site says is "100% cotton", so that would certainly include flannels, but would exclude fleece. I've heard of some backing their quilts with Minkee - but that's also a type of fleece.

I think the differentiation is that while flannel and fleece and Minkee are all cuddly, the cotton flannel breathes, and will keep one warm, while not trapping in excess heat and raising the body temperature of the patient artificially.

• polardream
    13 years ago

Mary, beautiful job! When you do the QOV do they have a specific size minimum/max they like? I know Project Linus has some "suggested" sizes but didn't know about QOV.

Sue

• nannykins
    13 years ago

Thanks Mary!

Theresa

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

Love the pattern and quilting that you did on this. Great job for a worthy cause.

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Polardream Sue,

They do have suggestions on size, but let me just post the website. I'm still recovering my files and notes on this stuff - you can explore the site yourself. I did used to have this stuff at my fingertips....

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilts of Valor Foundation

• User
    13 years ago

Another reason for all cotton and no synthetics in some settings is that synthetics can generate static electricity and can't be used in rooms where oxygen is in use.

• day2day
    13 years ago

Wonderful quilt for a great cause. Nice quilting on thios one too. TFS.

~Geraldine

• fran1523
    13 years ago

Great looking quilt and beautifully quilted as well. Enjoy your new computer.

• bee0hio
    13 years ago

Lovely quilt & a great job on it. Bless you for your donation.