Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

LOTTO - February 2013

toolgranny
11 years ago

Lotto February 2013

For this month we have another simple block, but one that will make a beautiful red and white quilt. Hole in the Barn Door is our pattern. This is an old traditional block. The Churn Dash or Shoo Fly patterns are all made the same with varying center block sizes. You will find them under a lot of names but I chose Hole in the Barn Door to showcase a large floral type print in the center.

So, around your 6-1/2" center, you should use a red print, anything that reads solid from a distance, and an ivory/white background. I say background because in this one, I turned the outside HSTs and strips so that the red went next to the floral. (See the samples.) This makes a wonderful white secondary pattern in the quilt. As you can see from the samples, pick reds that match your florals and all together, this should be a great quilt for someone. Remember when putting the block together to turn all the reds toward your floral.

Color 1 - Your red print to match center
Color 2 - I used off-white but any white or ivory will give nice results. Go by your floral colors.
Center - Your 6-1/2" floral

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

A few specifics:

- each month there will be a designated block or theme, you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

- all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation. With your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 in the pkg to cover postage for mailing the winning blocks.

- if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

- all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

- you will have 1 chance to win per block.

Blocks are to be mailed to Valarie. She will arrange the collection and dispersal to the winner. If you need her mailing address, you may request it by sending her an e-mail at littlehelen at comcast dot net.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome. Those who complain get this job next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hole in the Barn Door block

This post was edited by toolgranny on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 10:19

Comments (56)

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I participated in last year's Lottos and it was $1 for winner's postage and you could send in 1,2, or 3 blocks; no matter how many blocks you sent in in 2012 it was just $1 for total to be sent in by each participant. Guess ya'll are doing things differently this year, good luck with it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• calliope
    11 years ago

It was one dollar per participation, regardless of number of blocks, as it has always been unless I stiffed Kate. That's all I collected when I managed the lotto blocks too. It was sufficient to cover the postage when I sent the blocks to the winners with a little left over, except I usually insured the package and that often ate up the extra as did sending to winners outside of country. That doesn't mean the new lotto directors can't change it or make it anything they want. So yes, that apparently has changed. I did insurance because even though it did not pay for the time involved should a winning package go missing, it would have at least allowed me to reimburse the senders for materials and expense of submission. Thirty finished quilt blocks are certainly no small loss if lost in the mails. I also had a receipt notice included because occasionally a winner would not respond if they received their winnings......and then I bit nails until I heard they had. Holidays and trips you know that sort of stuff.

One dollar a block doesn't sound excessive, but consider the postage to send the blocks usually hit about $1.50 each submission, then you add on your dollars for postage to send to winner and I oftentimes had to buy fat quarters to make blocks since the fabric choices are spelled out by somebody else. Even at two fat quarters, my postage, and then a dollar a block........when it starts hitting eight or ten dollars a month for playing the lotto I shall simply not be able to do it often. There is no reason to make it so high that overage accumulates.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

ooops!!! I owe Kate a lot of money!! (I'll email you Kate!) I've always just sent $1 per package!! and Valerie, I'll send you the other $2. next week. Completely misunderstood this one!!

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Sandra, Mary and Calliope are correct.

Last year, as well as previous years, it was one dollar per entry - not per block. An entry was one to three blocks, with one chance to win per block. The entry fee has always been one dollar.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Fellow Quilters...the lotto is not about the money...if it was $1.00 a package, thats fine. In January, the majority of packages recieved had a $1.00 a block, so I figured that's what folks were doing; a buck a package is fine.

The lotto is for the fun of it! I certainly hope folks continue to participate, cause I'm doing this for the quilt community on this web page, as is Toolgranny.

I can safely say, I'm not in this to make a buck, or cheat anyone, or worry about a $.
    Hope that helps !

V.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

p.s. Any quilter who enclosed a dollar a block in January...you now have a lotto Credit for future drawings...send no money...just blocks!

(I've emailed on the back end those who contributed more than the $/block about their credit).

thank you.....

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Last year it was $1 per package, not per block. However, I did come out short often. I passed that information along to Val and Linda so maybe that's why they decided to increase it. They'll do a lot of work on this and spend a lot of time - you don't want them to have to cover shipping too.

Kate

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now that we have all that straightened out, can we just get on to our sewing. I will make the $ clearer on next month's posting. This is new to us so it was bound to have a few bugs.

• polardream
    11 years ago

Linda, I LOVE your choice of blocks! It is going to be a beautiful quilt, but I am traveling a lot in February and will not be able to participate. I hope you get lots of people to join in - it will be lovely.
    Sue

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

This is a great block! I've never made one before but am eager to give it a try. I'm certain I have fabrics in my stash that will work. I will be back from vacation on the 17th so I should have plenty of time to get a couple blocks made.

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

A fun and easy block to make...here's my two for February
    V.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

LOVE the blocks I'm seeing so far....this is a very neat pattern...will try to get some done. PRETTY.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

This will make a beautiful quilt! I'm hoping to make a couple, but I doubt I have any fabric. So a trip to the LQS is in order.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

I don't usually get excited about a block but as I was making these, I kept saying "wow".
    The winner is going to be "over the moon"
    Theresa

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Theresa.... those blocks are awesome!!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Thank you!
    They will be in the mail tomorrow.
    Theresa

• lola99
    11 years ago

Wow, I love the blocks that I've seen so far. I pulled some fabric and began cutting the other night. I plan to make 2. I'll send you an email to get your address.

Thanks,
    Lola

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Have found some florals that might work, now to find red that will go with them. I hope to get at least 2 made...will let you know.

Maryv

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

The center square should be predominately red? or just have red in it?

• toolgranny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not necessarily predominate but the floral needs to tie into the red around it. Notice the white flower one. It's not predominately red but ties in very well. Picture a whole quilt made of these blocks. If it is predominately yellow with just a spot of red, it might not play well with the others.

Think like a winner. What would you want it to look like in YOUR quilt?

• lola99
    11 years ago

Val, I emailed you last week to get your address but didn't hear back - sent the email via gardenweb, so maybe the was the problem. I just sent you another one directly. Would you please send me your address?

Linda, I'm thinking like a winner. I'm REALLY thinking like a winner. I've never won the lotto, but I would be a very happy winner this month!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Lola...I responded to your email this am...didn't receive one last week..?? Anyway you should have it by now...so glad you are joining in the lotto. Your blocks are lovely!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone...February is drawing down, just about 8 days left in the month and blocks are trickling in for the drawing.
    Linda, yours arrive today and are as spectacular as ever! I'll post all over the weekend ...maybe that will inspire a few more... It's an easy block to assemble, but oh the results ...can't wait to see these in a quilt ...
    I will hold off on the drawing if you get yours in the mail next week, but try to let me know via email so I can keep my eye out..

V.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Sorry to be so late....again! Off to the post office by the time you see this post.
    LindaB/CA

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Val, I won't be getting any blocks done this month. Thought I could fit it in but it is the 22nd and all I got accomplished is pulling out some fabric.
    Maybe in March.

Maryv

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

P.S. Sorry Valarie, looks like I misspelled your name. I'll try to remember the 'a' next time.
    LindaB/CA

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Have three blocks in the works. If I get time to finish, they'll be in the mail on Monday. This is a neat pattern.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Hi, glad to hear some more blocks will be in the mail! I'll be on the lookout for more packages...
    No big deal on the missing a, the first name has been 50% a and 50% e most of my life, i answer to both :-)
    V.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

These blocks are striking...!!!

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

done! will mail tomorrow.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

done! will mail tomorrow.

{{!gwi}}

• vasu_texas
    11 years ago

Val,
    Mailed my blocks this morning. Hope it reaches you on time.
    Vasu

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

We won't draw a winner, until all of the blocks have arrived. Looking for Linda, Beth and Vasu...anyone else ???
    V.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Three blocks posted this morning...

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I'm in for 3 and they'll go out in the mail tomorrow. If it was Leap Year they would get there in time! OK not to include me in the drawing if they aren't there on the 28th but they'll be there in time to mail out to the winner.

Kate

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Wow, that's going to be a stunning quilt!

• lola99
    11 years ago

Mine are coming too - I ripped apart the blocks and put them back together with a thinner red border. Sorry for the delay - the mistake threw me off schedule!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Ladies, your blocks are lovely! I will wait till all arrive before the drawing.
    Happy you are all participating!
    V.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

oh well DRAT!!!! It looks like I made my blocks wrong! :( Too late now......sorry!! wonder how in the world I managed that one.................

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I was about to cut my red and white strips both the same width when I realized that wasn't going to be quite right. Had to go back and look at the pattern to see the red were skinnier. It's an easy mistake to make!

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Beth....I almost did the same thing, I think the directions could have been clearer...don't feel bad. As Donna said in a prior post..."there's no mistakes, just design opportunities!"
    V.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I'm ready to pull a winner...we have 21 blocks, but a number of you asked not to be included...so the chances are high for the remaining quilters!

Anyway on line now? If so, can you pick a number between 1 and 12 . Post your pic and I'll announce a winner. I will send the confirmation to Toolgranny so ya know we're keeping it honest :-)

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I am here....how about number 8!

Maryv

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Number 8 is Vasu in Texas...CONGRATULATIONS !!!! Your winning blocks should make a fabulous Quilt!
    I'll get them in the mail within the week.

Thank You All for participating ....!!!!

Valarie

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Congrats!
    LindaB/CA

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Lucky girl!
    They are all beautiful.
    Theresa

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Congrats! Can't wait to see all the winning blocks together. This is going to make a stunning quilt. Lucky girl!

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Ah, Vasu! A beautiful bounty!! Congrats!!

• vasu_texas
    11 years ago

OMG! Can't believe it. Just came to the forum to check if my blocks arrived and I'm the winner!
    Thank you all. Your blocks are lovely. This will probably go into a quilt for my niece who is doing her debut dance solo this summer.
    Vasu

• vasu_texas
    11 years ago

Valarie,
    I received the lotto blocks today. They are gorgeous in person. Our indoor lighting is not great. So I will take a picture during the day and post.
    Each block has a unique and distinctive focus fabric and the blocks go together so well.
    Vasu