Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tension Woes

Posted by janice__indiana5 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 11:57

I sew on a Berninia 230 Quilters edition. Using this machine I have quilted 3 lap quilts (Warm and Natural batting), a twin size (Fusable batting), and a queen Hobbs 80/20. Coats and Clark 50# quilting thread was used on all 3. I've been very happy with the results. This time around the quilt screams(I hope) to be quilted in black. The quilt is very detailed with peicing,lots of machine applique, inking with all purpose ink and a little hand embrodery. The Coats and Clark black quilting thread, well isn't very black, plus I wanted to use something a little heavier because I will be quilting on quite a bit of the applique, and I thought the quilting around the pieces would show better. Upon many recommendation I chose to use Superior Threads King Tut(#40) I love the look, but I haven't been able to get good stitches. There is not a Berninia dealer in our town. I have called 3 different dealers that all have their opinions(all different. I've tried it all even going to the expense of buying a new bobbin case so I could play with the bobbin tension. I've cleaned and oiled the machine, it was serviced for prof. cleaning within the last year. I tried different needles, threading and un threading the machine. I talked to Superior thread, and bought a 50# to put in the bobbin. I still can't get this tension right. I am using a 90/14 top stitch needle as recommended on the thread. Please help. I feel I just can't figure out how to balance the tension.

Thank You for any help you might be able to give, Janice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tension Woes

Hmmmm....I'm no expert Janice, but I have found that sometimes there are some threads that simply do not like certain machines. I know that with my last machine I was not happy with the results I got with Coats and switched to Gutermann which I far preferred. However I just finished a top with my new machine and had great results with both brands. Also some machines will not work well with metallic threads and others don't have a problem. Perhaps it's not a tension issue at all, but merely your thread choice.
There are other people on this forum with far more knowledge than I . Perhaps one of them will have a suggestion.

o

Thanks Linda, for your input. I'm about ready to take out what quilting I've done and try to use the Coats and Clark black, thats not so black :( although several people have said that black thread is just different.

Thanks again, Janice

o

Thanks Linda, for your input. I'm about ready to take out what quilting I've done and try to use the Coats and Clark black, thats not so black :( although several people have said that black thread is just different.

Thanks again, Janice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here