Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janice__indiana5

Tension Woes

janice__indiana5
11 years ago

I sew on a Berninia 230 Quilters edition. Using this machine I have quilted 3 lap quilts (Warm and Natural batting), a twin size (Fusable batting), and a queen Hobbs 80/20. Coats and Clark 50# quilting thread was used on all 3. I've been very happy with the results. This time around the quilt screams(I hope) to be quilted in black. The quilt is very detailed with peicing,lots of machine applique, inking with all purpose ink and a little hand embrodery. The Coats and Clark black quilting thread, well isn't very black, plus I wanted to use something a little heavier because I will be quilting on quite a bit of the applique, and I thought the quilting around the pieces would show better. Upon many recommendation I chose to use Superior Threads King Tut(#40) I love the look, but I haven't been able to get good stitches. There is not a Berninia dealer in our town. I have called 3 different dealers that all have their opinions(all different. I've tried it all even going to the expense of buying a new bobbin case so I could play with the bobbin tension. I've cleaned and oiled the machine, it was serviced for prof. cleaning within the last year. I tried different needles, threading and un threading the machine. I talked to Superior thread, and bought a 50# to put in the bobbin. I still can't get this tension right. I am using a 90/14 top stitch needle as recommended on the thread. Please help. I feel I just can't figure out how to balance the tension.

Thank You for any help you might be able to give, Janice

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living