Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

Sabine's City Lights

loisflan
12 years ago

Well, I still have to trim threads, label it and wash it, but here is my version of Cherri House's City Lights. The pattern called for pale and medium pastels to be used, but I couldn't find any pale enough to suit me. I wanted a very neutral palette, so I used off-whites, taupes, tans, greys and greens. This quilt is for my step-daughter, Sabine. Her home is very modern, so I hope this will please her. Thanks for looking.

Comments (26)

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Like it lots!!!
    Theresa

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Perfect. Very well done and I know Sabine's going to love it. Congratulations. TFS

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I love it. I favor geometric modern designs and this is a gem. Thanks for showing us. Good job.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Lois, it's great! Perfect for modern decor. I know your step daughter will love it!
    Donna

• missflippins
    12 years ago

A truly gorgeous, elegant quilt Lois! I'd have a hard time parting with such a beauty.

Best wishes - Corinne

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I like it! The quilting is perfect. I borrowed this book from the library and this was the quilt I was attracted to. I may have to make it now! I think your colors are perfect. I really like the contemporary look.
    She will love it.
    Were you pleased with the machine sewn binding?

• day2day
    12 years ago

It's beautiful!
    Are you ready to give it away?
    It looks so much like it belongs there on the sofa by the fireplace.
    You did such a great job.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

It is gorgeous! very modern looking! When some of the younger ones around here say they don't like quilts I know they are thinking all quilts are made with traditional patterns.
    Rosa

• loisflan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marsha, I think the machine-sewn binding worked well on this quilt. I acutally sewed the binding to the back of the quilt, turned it over the edge and stitched it on the front. The black thread on the mostly black backing was very forgiving. I don't think I would have been very pleased with this technique for a multicolored binding/backing combination though. The line of stiching on the back does meander.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments.

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

I like this quilt very much. Well done, very well done!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

My sister has a huge blank wall in her dining room. I suggested she make a quilt, but she said she didn't like country. I told her quilts come in all styles and I don't think she believed me. I'm sending her this link. This is so modern and "clean" looking. I really like it and think she will too. Thanks for sharing.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Lois, Excellent choice for fabric and your quilting gives it another dimension. Great job!!!!

SharonG/FL

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

City Lights is such an appropriate name!
    It reminds me immediately of a skyscraper.
    Great job! I like the backing too.

I attach my binding the same way. I know exactly what you mean, by the meandering line on the back, but it doesn't show very much if you use matching thread on the back.

All your horizontal and vertical lines look perfectly straight! Is it sewn together in blocks, rows, or strips?

Julie

• calliope
    12 years ago

Amazing use of fabric. I am not a contemporary quilt fan, but I'd change my mind for this one. I love it. It reminds me of the Shoji screens in Japan.

• loisflan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Julie, you make three horizontal blocks of five black rectangles and three light ones for each row. Then you sew them together with the thin light rectangle between them. Then you sew the row to a thin horizontal black sashing strip. And so on, being careful to line up the rectangles vertically. Kind of boring, but then most quilts are at some point, I guess.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Nothing boring about this quilt! Great contemporary design and super color choices. Love it! I'm bookmarking this one!

Kate

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Thanks for your reply, Lois.
    Construction sounds easy. If a quilt goes together fast and easy, with lots of different pastels to work with, it wouldn't be boring to me.

Again...nice job!

Julie

• vasu_texas
    12 years ago

Lois,
    That is a very lovely modern design. It is simple yet striking.
    Vasu

• karpet
    12 years ago

That turned out beautiful!
    Karlene

• lola99
    12 years ago

Very nice job! Your step-daughter should be very pleased.

What color thread did you use to quilt it? I'm guessing a light/neutral, but I don't see it showing up on the horizontal black strips - did you quilt straight down the quilt, or did you skip over the black horizontal lines?

Lola

• loisflan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lola, I used black thread for the black and dark grey fabric and a neutral for the rest. You are right. In the light rectangles, I stopped and started for every black sashing I came to. A bit tedious, but I thought a light thread on the black sashing would ruin the look I was try to achieve.

• lola99
    12 years ago

Thank you for explaining what you did. I think you made the right choice. Lately I have been very focused on what color thread people choose to quilt with. I just ruined a beautiful quilt with a very bad choice of quilting (both the design and the color!).

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Beautiful quilt, Lois! So peaceful and calming to look at. The quilting is perfect for this layout.

Dee

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Lola - good eye! I agree the thread and quilting choice is very important - I tend to spend too much time and brain cells deciding. I change thread colors & type often within a quilt. Do you still dislike the outcome after you washed your quilt?

Lois - I agree with Lola - you made the right choice! I understand what you mean about 'boring'~ I find the repetition of sewing the same colors, and pieces together boring.....not the finished quilt. I tend to make mistakes when it is assembly-line, simple sewing :)

I still love your quilt!

• loisflan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marsha, the owner of one of my local quilt shops who does a ton of design and piecing herself, said that she uses only two colors of thread when piecing - light and dark - and that she uses the same color throughout the quilt, regardless of fabric color. I settled on three colors - black, grey and beige. I find that one of those works fine for everything I've done so far. The thread comes on a large spool and is finer than "regular" thread. She said it helps keep the seams scant and flat. I'm sorry I can't remember the name. I'm at the office. It sure helps keep my thread inventory down too.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I don't generally change thread colors when piecing except for black and white piecing. I change colors & thread types when quilting the top, than I select the thread with great care.