Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two celtic quilts

Posted by vasu_texas (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 11:51

Finally, a picture to post. I started this Celtic quilt in 2006, got most of it done but it remained a UFO for all these years. My resolution for 2012 was to finish a UFO before starting anything new. Here's my first FO for 2012.

Celtic quilt

Another Celtic-style quilt I made in 2008. The design is actually Indian but similar to Celtic designs.

Hrudaya Kamalam

Vasu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two celtic quilts

Vasu, both of those are beautiful!
A Celtic pattern is another one that is on my list of 'to-try' projects.
TFS.

~Geraldine

o

WOW! You are starting 2012 with a Big Bang! Beautiful!!!!!

o

Wow! Your work looks perfect. I haven't done this style... Is it done by hand or machine?

o

Lovely!

It's amazing what beauty can be created by only using three colors in a quilt project.

Kate took the words right out of my mouth...Is it done by hand or machine?

Julie

o

Vasu, they are gorgeous!!! I would love to make a celtic quilt someday.
Linda OH

o

Wow, Vasu, those are beautiful! Congrats on finishing them!

I've done one Celtic applique project (in a class) and it will likely be my last. :)

Donna

o

Oh my goodness, just wonderful. I am in awe at how this looks.

o

Gorgeous! It looks like a lot of delicate work. Thank you for showing your lovely quilts.

Best Wishes - Corinne

o

Wowser! Both of those are beautiful! Well done, you, Vasu!

Teresa

o

Those are both just gorgeous. I especially love the fabrics you chose for the green one. Good job.

o

Vasu, Absolutely fantastic!

SharonG/FL

o

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

o

Vasu, both are gorgeous! Wonderful fabric and color choices. What size are they? I love celtic design. Also on my "bucket list".

Dee

o

Those are truly lovily. I would like doing one for my DD someday as she is very fond of them. They are both wonderful but I agree the Green fabric choices and pattern are perfect.TFS

o

Those are both lovely. They are similar but different. Awesome work and thanks for sharing.

o

Thank you all for your gracious comments and compliments. It means a lot coming from such talented and experienced quilters. I know because I've been seeing pictures of your work and your blocks in birthday exchanges and lottos.

Now to answer some of your questions:
Both are machine appliqued. I'm not too good at hand work, I'm afraid.

The method is from a book by Beth Ann Williams called Celtic Quilts: A new look for Ancient Designs. The green one is from a pattern in her book. Her method is very simple. Make bias strips from fabric and make bias tubes using plastic bias bars. Use fusible strips (steam-a-seam) to press them in place. Sew them down with invisible thread. I didn't like the "look" of invisible thread, so I used matching colored thread. The most painful part was tracing and transferring the design to the background fabric.

The red one is a traditional Indian design that my mom told me about. I just drew it freehand.

Thanks for the compliments on fabric choices for the green. Sometimes I surprise myself and this is one of them :-) For every good color choice, I've made several "what was I thinking" choices but I'm not gonna show you all of those :-)

Vasu

o
RE: Two celtic quilts 2

They are both about 36"X36"

o

Every time I see one of these I'm intrigued and want to make one, then I forget about it until the next time I see one. They are beautiful.

o

Congratulations. Both are beautiful, and I also like the green best of the two. Something to put on my list of things to try someday too.

Joan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here