Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vasu_texas

Two celtic quilts

vasu_texas
12 years ago

Finally, a picture to post. I started this Celtic quilt in 2006, got most of it done but it remained a UFO for all these years. My resolution for 2012 was to finish a UFO before starting anything new. Here's my first FO for 2012.

Another Celtic-style quilt I made in 2008. The design is actually Indian but similar to Celtic designs.

Vasu

Comments (19)

• day2day
    12 years ago

Vasu, both of those are beautiful!
    A Celtic pattern is another one that is on my list of 'to-try' projects.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

WOW! You are starting 2012 with a Big Bang! Beautiful!!!!!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Wow! Your work looks perfect. I haven't done this style... Is it done by hand or machine?

• luvtosharedivs
    12 years ago

Lovely!

It's amazing what beauty can be created by only using three colors in a quilt project.

Kate took the words right out of my mouth...Is it done by hand or machine?

Julie

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Vasu, they are gorgeous!!! I would love to make a celtic quilt someday.
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Wow, Vasu, those are beautiful! Congrats on finishing them!

I've done one Celtic applique project (in a class) and it will likely be my last. :)

Donna

• barbara_l
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, just wonderful. I am in awe at how this looks.

• missflippins
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! It looks like a lot of delicate work. Thank you for showing your lovely quilts.

Best Wishes - Corinne

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Wowser! Both of those are beautiful! Well done, you, Vasu!

Teresa

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Those are both just gorgeous. I especially love the fabrics you chose for the green one. Good job.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Vasu, Absolutely fantastic!

SharonG/FL

• susan_on
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Vasu, both are gorgeous! Wonderful fabric and color choices. What size are they? I love celtic design. Also on my "bucket list".

Dee

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Those are truly lovily. I would like doing one for my DD someday as she is very fond of them. They are both wonderful but I agree the Green fabric choices and pattern are perfect.TFS

• fran1523
    12 years ago

Those are both lovely. They are similar but different. Awesome work and thanks for sharing.

• vasu_texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your gracious comments and compliments. It means a lot coming from such talented and experienced quilters. I know because I've been seeing pictures of your work and your blocks in birthday exchanges and lottos.

Now to answer some of your questions:
    Both are machine appliqued. I'm not too good at hand work, I'm afraid.

The method is from a book by Beth Ann Williams called Celtic Quilts: A new look for Ancient Designs. The green one is from a pattern in her book. Her method is very simple. Make bias strips from fabric and make bias tubes using plastic bias bars. Use fusible strips (steam-a-seam) to press them in place. Sew them down with invisible thread. I didn't like the "look" of invisible thread, so I used matching colored thread. The most painful part was tracing and transferring the design to the background fabric.

The red one is a traditional Indian design that my mom told me about. I just drew it freehand.

Thanks for the compliments on fabric choices for the green. Sometimes I surprise myself and this is one of them :-) For every good color choice, I've made several "what was I thinking" choices but I'm not gonna show you all of those :-)

Vasu

• vasu_texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are both about 36"X36"

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Every time I see one of these I'm intrigued and want to make one, then I forget about it until the next time I see one. They are beautiful.

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

Congratulations. Both are beautiful, and I also like the green best of the two. Something to put on my list of things to try someday too.

Joan

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH