Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannahavana

Latest project

cannahavana
15 years ago

This quilt (top) was made for my DH for Valentines. I was hoping to get it finished in time, but I just ordered the backing fabric and probably won't be here until the end of the week. I guess you could say this is a charm quilt made out of 6 packs of charms from Connecting Threads, the Indigo 2 & 3 groups. I need to redo the mitered corners, the borders are waving hello to me. :) The size is 72 X 56. Not sure yet how I will quilt it, but it is small enough for me to handle on the machine. I might do diagonal lines and keep it simple. Rebecca

Comments (25)

• bozogardener
    15 years ago

This is beautiful! Your DH will love it! The colors are wonderful in this.

• User
    15 years ago

This coloration is STAGGERINGLY beautiful! (Your piecing looks pretty darn good too!)

Pls. excuse me if I ask did you color this yourself or is it from a pre-selected set or kit's colors. I ask 'cause it's VERY well balanced in value placement (light, medium, dark), which still gives me trouble so I need to really study this arrangement & try to learn from it.

If you colored it yourself I'd love for you to pls. share any thoughts you had or strategies you employed in it.

In several yrs. of lurking here & a yr. or so participating, this piece is one of the most EXCEPTIONAL works I've seen here to date!!!!

Canna, I'm almost speechless! Pls. be sure to update the pix when done, I beg you!

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

That is absolutely charming! I love the way you did the colors, and I am in awe looking at all those beautifully matched points!

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Another great depression block quilt. I just love the colors and the diamonds that extend into the border. I was thinking about doing a "2 color" one and now that I have seen one, I really must do it. Great job.

beverly

• imrainey
    15 years ago

LOVE the way the colors work together. LOVE the way the pattern keeps changing from lights to darks. Well done! Lucky guy!

• gerizone5
    15 years ago

That is truly a beautiful arrangement of color and a gorgeous quilt.

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Rebecca,
    It's beautiful! It's wonderful what a couple of charm packs can do, isn't it?

Mary

• nana24
    15 years ago

Rebecca,
    It is beautiful! What a blessed husband! I'm sure he will be happy it is this far done.

TFS
    Sally

• bonnie_nmi
    15 years ago

I love it, Rebecca! Blues with tans/taupes are a wonderful combination, and the pattern is great.

Bonnie

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

A beautiful combination of colors for the pattern. Great way to use charm packs. I agree that the points into the boarder is a nice touch. Your DH is surly your Valentine. TFS Jayne

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I like it very much! TFS

Gwen

• vicky4x4
    15 years ago

I love blues and browns together. Nice job.

Vicky

• amma_10
    15 years ago

Oh, this is a great quilt! Good block choice to show off the movement of fabric. What is the name of the block?

Barb

• cannahavana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for the kind comments! I don't know the name of the block, but I got the idea from someone here on the forum that did the same block.

PG, the 5" charm packs are from Connecting Threads (link below). I had 4 packs of the Irresistible Indigo 2 and left out the maroon squares and bought 2 packs of the Irresistible Indigo 3 when they came out. I like using charm packs from a line of fabrics because it takes all the guess work out color coordination. Also, the squares are already cut out and ready to sew and eventually the half square triangles become trimmed 4.5" in size. This is a real easy block to do. Lots of half-square triangles and it is all in how they are arranged. I put them together to make 16.5" blocks.

Rebecca

Here is a link that might be useful: Irresistible Indigo 2 & 3 fabric line

• fran1523
    15 years ago

That is a great looking quilt. The colors are really fabulous.

• calliope
    15 years ago

Beautiful quilt, stunning combinations.

• toolgranny
    15 years ago

I really love that quilt. It looks simple to make but colors just make it great. I buy fabric from them also because they put the colors together into a bundle better than I could.

• annabelle1941
    15 years ago

I just love the quilt - your DH will be thrilled. Just looked on the Connecting threads site - great fabrics - great prices but they don't ship to the U.K.!!
    Ann

• itsmesuzq
    15 years ago

I am in awe of your skills Rebecca. I was just browsing "Connecting Threads" (I love that site). Your quilt is beautiful and the colors and the way you placed them is wonderful!! I keep looking all the piecing and with practice I hope I can do such a great job myself one day!

Your DH is a lucky man...

Susan

• froggyquilter
    15 years ago

LOVE IT!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THOSE COLORS TOGETHER!!!

NICE JOB!

• User
    15 years ago

Thank you Rebecca for explaining your thinking on the coloring. I happen to get the Connecting Thread catalogue, but haven't paid much attention to it so far. Guess I'll have to change that!

See the reception you're getting from everyone?? It really is magnificent. It even has a sort of 3-D quality, the more I look at it, the more I see.

Particular thanks for sharing this w/ us -- you give us ALL something especially fine to aspire to!

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I agree with every nice comment above! It's beautiful and like everyone else I love the color placement. It is exceptionally pretty.

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

Oh the colors are just so nice together! And the pattern compliments them too! You must have enjoyed this project...oops...enjoying, you aren't finished yet! tish

• marty_mo
    15 years ago

Beautiful job ~ the points on the border really add to the visual appeal. Love your color choices. TFS

Marty

• cannahavana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! My DH really likes it and can't wait to use it. He really likes the colors I chose. I finally received the backing fabric in the mail yesterday and should have it quilted by the end of the week. I am really thinking about doing another in a two color batik of blue and turquoise. Really BRIGHT!!

Rebecca

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County