Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
EZ3 hand quilting Grace frame help needed

Posted by laurieth (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 5, 10 at 10:57

I have my EZ3 frame set up and put the backing on but am confused about the top and batting. It says put the top directly over the batting but it show them the exact same size, not the batting being bigger like I am use to, how does this work, should I be cutting them the same size.

Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: EZ3 hand quilting Grace frame help needed

You're ahead of me because I have a row to go on the top, and don't have the rachets/rachets stops on yet. I do have the couch pushed back and the frame in the middle of the living room! I see what you mean about the pictures in the instruction book, but it seems like if this was a frame that actually eliminated needing some extra backing/batting in case of shifting they would be stating that specifically as a big marketing point.

I got mine from KathyQuilts, and her site has a picture of a loaded frame that appears to show a traditional amount of extra batting gathered inside the bungee clamp close-up.

I've seen long arms set up and they always have extra backing and batting all around the edges.

I hope someone answers that's completed quilts on the EZ3. For my part right now, I'm planning on leaving an extra three inches of backing and batting all around.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic of quilt on EZ3

o

I'm guessing that they trimmed the batting to the same size as the top just so it would look neater in the pictures.

o

I have the backing rowed on and it has the extra 3 inches on all sides, I am wondering if I just took the extra off the top that I pin to the leader cloth on the 3rd rail if that works, but if I am wrong and I get back to that spot at the end of all my quilting and it did shift I am up a creek.
I wrote to what they called an expert at grace co but have not heeard back and most likely will not.
Hopefully someone who uses this will add a post.
Laurie

o

I have used my EZ3 frame a lot! I do find it necessary to have extra length for the backing and batting, the reason being, the top may stretch longer as you unroll it while quilting. I do not have any trouble with it getting wider, but have had to add more to my backing and batting once. Not a fun job when most of the quilt is already quilted.
Otherwise the frame is great! Hope you enjoy yours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here