Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever make a cashmere sweater throw?

Posted by monicatx (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 10:44

Hi, I was just starting to make a new cashmere sweater throw and I thought maybe I should share the idea as I made one two years ago and love it. By the way, cashmere is a fabric that never makes me too hot, don't know why. Don't think you could use plain wool, it might become stiff.

Start by asking family & friends to give you their old cashmere that has gotten holes. I must admit that I get most of mine from the Salvation Army on their 1/2 price Wednesdays. I immediately machine wash the sweaters in warm water and machine dry them. (I even gave my son-in-law a cashmere after I had done this - it never shrank.) When you have 5 or 6 sweaters, cut them apart along the seams. At this point, don't worry about colors or holes, just cut them apart.

Next step is to iron each piece so you can see any flaws, then rotary cut into squares & rectangles. I then lay them out in quilting lines or strips to make a pleasing color design. Sew them together with a one inch seam - all seams one the same side. When it is all sewn together, sew a zigzag seam 1 inch in - around the outside edge. That is all you do!

This is so lightweight and warm you will adore it (so does my dog) When it gets dirty, just machine wash & dry it. I just love the one I made 2 years ago.

Leftover scraps make great pillow or dog bed stuffing and can be washed.

Monica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever make a cashmere sweater throw?

Sounds warm and cuddly. Do you have a picture?

o
RE: Ever make a cashmere sweater throw?

That is a good idea. I'll have to save some of my old sweaters...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here