Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
day2day_gw

February2011 Show and Tell,WIPs and Finishes (post pics here)

day2day
13 years ago

This is the place to post your projects in Feb.

My quilt was finished yesterday but I'll put it in under Feb. It is not truly a Postage Stamp as there are repeat fabrics and squares finished at 1 1/2 " not 1". Sharon, you may remember me complaining,in your monthly goals threads, about getting this one done. That was many months ago.

Size is about90x96".

Scrap quilts are my favorites.

I hope you will all show us your work to help you finish projects and for our enjoyment.

~Geraldine

Comments (95)

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Deanna, you did a great job for all those firsts. I like the use of the 'brights' border outside the dark border. A bargello is a pattern I want to try just to see if I can do it. Mine...if I ever do one.... would be a wall hanging. TFS.

~Geraldine

• bozogardener
    13 years ago

Deanna, that bargello is lovely!

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

The Sunny Lanes is gorgeous!!! Deanna you did a great job on the bargello, it is on my 'to do' list.
    Rosa

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

This is great fun. Love seeing pic of everyones accomplishmenst. "Sunny lanes" was the perfect pattern to show off the BDBs. Does it call for 16 patches or could other blocks be used in the design? Love scrappy. Jayne

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This pattern is called Paper Chains and it is from Quick Quilts. It's finally finished.
    This is the 'loud' quilt which I did not enjoy working on but it used up some of my stash. This one will be another gift quilt.

Have a great day.

~Geraldine

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I love the 'loud' colors! I like the pattern, too. Great job and lucky gift recipient.

Robbi

• nannykins
    13 years ago

I am copying the picture and will add it to my to-do list. I make what I call chemo quilts, easy and quick, at least I hope it is.

• bozogardener
    13 years ago

Geraldine, I like the "loud" quilt. I am partial to loud stuff anyway!

Jayne, the pattern calls for squares, but I bet it would look neat with a 6" different block in the center!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Bozo, Awesome Sunny Lanes! A wonderful way to use up squares!!!!

Geraldine, Your Paper Chains is another way to use up the larger squares in our stashes. Great looking 'Chain' that I want to try!

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    13 years ago

I finished my Ocean Waves top!
    {{!gwi}}

The HSTs are 1" square; the top is 32". And there are 1,312 triangles!

Donna

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness,Donna! I got tired just reading about the size and amount of HSTs. You girl, must have the patience of a saint. You should feel mighty proud to have accomplished this project.

Your quilt is beautiful. I like how the black border frames the inner area and the flurry of pinwheels are a perfect fit for the Ocean Waves pattern.

TFS.

~Geraldine

• bozogardener
    13 years ago

That's beautiful, Donna! The pinwheels really accentuate the waves pattern.

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

All I can say is "wow"! Makes me dizzy just thinking of all those 1" triangles. Nice job. Jayne

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone - the pattern is at Quiltville.com if you'd like to make one!

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Beautiful, Donna! But my eyes crossed over when I read the size of those HST! Yikes!

Now I'm convinced an Ocean Waves should be on my bucket list!

Teresa

• cannahavana
    13 years ago

Donna great job! I can totally relate to all the triangles when I did the ocean waves variant. Mine is 98"! I'm not sure how many triangles, but it is up there.

Geraldine, I can see your quilt done in black and white. I may need to try it.

Rebecca

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

Thanks for the nice comments on the quilt.

I thought I might have gotten my Crazy Coins top quilted this past weekend but life got in the way. Hope to get it done sometime this week.

How is everyone doing with the sewing projects? Are you making much progress?

Have a great day. Say 'I love you' to your special people.

~Geraldine

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Yesterday I finished quilting Bubble #3 quilt so all that is left is to do the binding. The stacked coins quilt is up on the design wall!

Teresa

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Crazy Coins quilt is finished!! I was thinking about someone on here that was talking about a stacked coins quilt they are doing and mistakenly put that on the pic as the name. The 'coins' are a bit of a mixed bag from different projects, hence the 'crazy' title part. I didn't have enough of the green or red for the alternate strips so used both. They were the same fabric design but different colors. The piece you see hanging down under the bottom green strip is another quilt.

~Geraldine

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There's another red strip on the inside...can't see it in the pic.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Donna, I cannot imagine making a quilt using HST that small! But it's beautiful!

Geraldine, Your Crazy Coins looks nice and bright. Good job on getting it completed! I have a Chinese Coins in the works but too many other things are taking precedence right now.

I just completed a top for a Project Linus Challenge and hope to get it sandwiched today. We were sent at least a yard of fabric in 2 or more pieces and were to make a quilt adding our own fabric as needed.

SharonG/FL

• bopeep
    13 years ago

WOW...I feel like I hav been to a quilt show......
    All these quilts are soooooo BEAUTIFUL !!!!!
    bopeep

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone got new WIPs or finished projects to show before February,2011 is just a memory?

I've had some family responsibilities lately so haven't been around or done any sewing. Things are starting to ease up so I'm looking forward to getting back to my quilting in early March.

Hope you all have a great day.

~Geraldine

• polardream
    13 years ago

I finished quilting a graduation quilt I started last fall (Queen size!) and have to add the binding ... not sure if it will be finished before the end of February or not. I am amazed at how beautiful everyone's projects are!
    Sue

• barbara_l
    13 years ago

this has been enjoyable to read....will you do this for March as well??

• Joan Dupuis
    13 years ago

Totally enjoyed all your quilts. So far the only finished piece I have to show is the Runner I made with left over fabric from my snowman placemats. It will be used on my china cabinet.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

bloom, that is really nice! Hope you will show us more of your work.

Teresa

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

Really like the fabrics you used in you well done table runner. Nice job. Looking forword to more next mo. Jayne

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bloom, your runner is lovely. Nice fabrics...I bet the runner looks great on your china cabinet.The fabrics look somewhat like Thimbleberries fabrics......are they?

What is the pattern name? I have seen it before but either never knew or can't remember the pattern name. I've studied your pic but can't figure out how the squares are done to get the interlocked look.

TFS.

~Geraldine

• Joan Dupuis
    13 years ago

The remaining fabric mostly has marked Moda fabrics. One print is by Sandy Gervais. I got the idea for the pattern from Blocks Galore, using one of their Borders...http://www.quilterscache.com/B/Borders.html

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Love it, love it.

• msmeow
    13 years ago

One finish (not quilting, but finished!)

And 2 tops done...still WIPs but at least they are getting closer:
    {{!gwi}}

• polardream
    13 years ago

I wasn't sure I would get it done, but the binding and label are on & it is washed and ready for high school graduation day in May! It's queen sized & the back is black. I used a varigated thread on the top - kind of fun.
    Sue

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Sue, that's really pretty! And done early, too!
    Donna

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bloom, thanks for the information. I am going to check Marcia's site as soon as I finish here.

Msmeow, you have been busy! Nice projects. I'm glad you shared with us.

I like the sampler, especially the sailboat block. I like samplers like this because it's nice trying to guess how each block has meaning for the quilter or recipient.Sometimes it's difficult but some are easy. I was curious about the state block...Texas?? I looked at your profile which says you live in Florida so I'm assuming this is a gift quilt.

Sue, it's a lovely quilt. I like the pattern. You did a wonderful job with this.Did you choose the colors? They....particularly that yellow...sparkle against the black background. The recipient is sure to appreciate it. TFS.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

This is LindaOH's fault....all the blame is put on her for posting about Wonky Pinwheels! I have the blocks completed so this is a WIP.

SharonG/FL

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharon...bright and beautiful!! Are the fabrics batiks? They look like they have a shimmer which gives the windmills extra movement.
    They remind me of a topsy-turvy windy day. TFS.

~Geraldine

• msmeow
    13 years ago

One more top finished this month!
    {{!gwi}}

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

What an inspiring array of quilts for February! Just under the wire, here is the finished Bubble quilt #3 - a Kaffe Fassett design that I really love, but am now done with for a while anyway.

Teresa

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

I am so far behind on checking out everyone's quilts!!

They are all such an inspiration! And how do you guys get so much done!

Here is a picture of one more UFO that I finished a few weeks ago. This is a QAYG pattern. It goes pretty quick and I enjoyed doing it. I also learned a lot on the way.

Robbi

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Teresa.....done and delightful!! Looks so sweet.

I know it was lots of work as I remember you said you appliqued all the bubbles. You did a great job with it.

TFS.

Now on to March. I am having trouble with my internet connection so if someone wants to start the March thread, go ahead. I may or may not get back on...computer is being bratty and stubborn. DS thinks it's the connection and not the computer itself. Technician is coming today...hopefully...so we'll see what he says and does.

~Geraldine

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

Love them all. I have one in the works but may not get it done enough to post till March WIPs. Love your colors Robbi. And Teresa, yours are always a treat for the eye.

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Robin, you must have posted while I was typing. Then I couldn't get back in ...the computer froze.

I like your QAYG quilt. It looks sunny and happy. I have done a baby quilt QAYG without using batting; just used blocks with a backing. It was way too stiff. Looks like yours was done by adding strips to the backing/batting and sewing them on as you went. I made the block, pinned the block and backing and quilted it.
    My big problem was adding the sashings. I got it finished but not without some frustration.

Thanks for sharing with us.

~Geraldine

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Geraldine,

The QAYG is from a pattern that they taught at our LQS. It's from the "Fun and Done" series. This doesn't have any sashing and I can see where that would be a problem. In fact, I'm doing another BOM quilt (Stitcher's Garden) that is constructed differently, but each block has batting put on it and quilted before the applique is done. They you add borders so there is no batting on the borders and sashing. A lady at the quilt shop said she went ahead and put another layer of batting and did more quilting to sandwich the whole thing together. She said she really didn't notice where the second layer was. I'm trying to use a thin batting, so hopefully, I'll have similar results?

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Robin.
    I thought that your blocks were 'framed' with a sashing. After a closer look at the back, I can see that what I thought was sashings is really part of the block. Is that right?

So how did you join the seam areas on the back? (not sure if I'm explaining that clearly)

I'm going to have to check out fun and done quilts.

~Geraldine

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

This has been a great way to showcase everyone's projects.
    Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful work - such inspiration. Your quilts are beautiful!

I will post in March - I am still having problems posting on my main computer, so I have to use another computer to comment or post pictures.

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

I really enjoyed looking at everyone's beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Geraldine,

The Fun and Done has a template you can use for cutting and placement/arrangement for each block. (I bought it because it was much easier than to measure all the squares.) The batting is cut about 1" smaller than the backing square and centered on the backing fabric. The strips are sewn directly to the backing and batting. Then you trim the strips down to match the batting size. You will end up with a block where the backing is 1" bigger around than the batting and front fabrics. Sew the blocks together close to the 1" seam so that the raw edges are facing up (your batting will all be next to each other, so no batting gaps). Then turn under that seam to create what looks like sashing and sew it down. You first assemble a row, then put the rows together in the same manner. The tricky part to the whole thing is starting and stopping your seams so they only show where you want them. For instance, when you are sewing down the top strips , if you sew into the 1" backing fabric, that seam will show when you put the blocks together for a row. I used a contrasting thread, so that made mine a little more difficult.

I've probably not explained this very well, but I'll try to answer any questions if you have any.

Robbi

• day2day
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Robbi. I'm sorry I got your name wrong before.

I found a tute on Fun and Done and that helped too. So, the backing is brought to the front and used as a sashing. COOL!!

Have a great day.

~Geraldine

Here is a link that might be useful: Fun and Done tute

• Robbi D.
    13 years ago

Thanks, Geraldine. Pictures sure do help on that explanation. There are various patterns you can use with that template, so I'm sure I'll do another one eventually.

Robbi

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County