Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
February2011 Show and Tell,WIPs and Finishes (post pics here)

Posted by day2day (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 9:41

This is the place to post your projects in Feb.

My quilt was finished yesterday but I'll put it in under Feb. It is not truly a Postage Stamp as there are repeat fabrics and squares finished at 1 1/2 " not 1". Sharon, you may remember me complaining,in your monthly goals threads, about getting this one done. That was many months ago.

Size is about90x96".

Scrap quilts are my favorites.

I hope you will all show us your work to help you finish projects and for our enjoyment.

Photobucket

~Geraldine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: February2011 Show and Tell,WIPs and Finishes (post pics here)

That is gorgeous Geraldine! Kudos to you on your perseverance. I would have difficulty staying focused!

Rebecca

o

Thanks Rebecca.

Wanted to say that the squares finished at 2" and not 1 1/2"....sorry about that.

~Geraldine

o

Geraldine,

Gorgeous quilt!! I love scrappy quilts too, & have a Postage Stamp one in the works. I'm always saving scraps & it seemed a good way to use even the smallest pieces! Mine won't be done anytime soon - I have lots of birthday blocks, Round Robins & 35 blocks for a boomerang swap to work on! YEA!! Snow days!! No kids & I'm going to sew, sew, sew! - once I get off the computer:)

o

Wow! And I don't see nary an unmatched corner anywhere, how did you do that??

o

That is a lot of work! I don't know that I have the patience for that. You did an awesome job!! Beautiful!!

Robbi

o

Thanks for the compliments. Believe me, there are little tucks in places to make sure the corners matched. For quilting, I stitched just outside the seam lines across the rows. I do quilts for pleasure and to give as gifts but they all have some 'mistakes'. I do my best but I am still an amateur and will never reach excellence but that's okay.

This one has a 2" black border and a scrappy binding. It is gift quilt...going to another of my husband's nieces.

Quiltpartner, are you going to do 1" finished squares and have no repeats?
If you join squares into a row here and there, when you have a bit of spare time, then the it is more manageable.

~Geraldine

o

What a good idea. Someone posted a site about saving your scraps for later by cutting them all into little squares or into strips. So, I have bunches of squares and strips I'll never use and maybe if I sewed a few together, it would at least make a throw or a border. You're great, Geraldine.

o

That's lovely! I would not have the patience for that. The Sunny Lanes block was enough!

o

Wonderful quilt, Geraldine! I agree that I don't think I would have the patience for something like a Postage Stamp quilt. I admire your industry to complete it!

Teresa

o

Here is my latest project, finished! And, only the 2nd quilt I've ever done, so don't look to closely, LOL!! It only took about 2 years from start to finish. This is for my son, and he's almost 10, so it has spider-man, hot wheels, pirates, etc for the fabrics. It is a little busy for my taste, but he is thrilled with it and that's all that matters! The pattern is the same block, just using the fabrics in different ways. This was also my first attempt at free motion which I did on the border. Maybe you can see it from the second picture.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

That is your first attempt at free-motion? I'm impressed! Great job.

Rebecca

o

Lafonda that is a cute quilt! And your FMQ is great! You should be proud of your work:)

Geraldine - Yes, I'm doing 1" finished & have not repeated any fabrics in my PS yet - but not sure if I'll keep that up. It's so much easier to sew two 3" strips together & cut apart before joining w/others. I know some people feel a true PS does not have any repeats, but Fons & Porter highlighted one from 1890-something in their magazine which had many repeats. It was a feature on PS quilts, so... I'm not rigid about it being 'authentic' - just love the look of them & love scrappy! So, repeats may happen - who knows? Since it will take me awhile to finish it!

o

Lafonda, this is great first attempt at FMQ!! I have attempted FMQ on blocks but found it difficult to keep things even. The back stitching was messy.
Did you practice on scraps first? You seem to be an natural with it.
It seems to be a thing with young children to like busy patterns. My nephew asked for a quilt with all busy sports fabrics with very little solid fabric to break up the 'busyness'. He loved it but I didn't like working on it. Yours has the nice sashings and cornerstones to give it coherence. Good job.

~Geraldine

o

Geraldine, Your quilt is awesome!!! And isn't it so much easier working with just a 'little' larger squares? I've used 1 1/2" unfinished, but not for anything larger than 6" blocks.

For those of you thinking about doing this, keep your squares or strips by the machine and use them for leaders and enders. If you only make a 9-patch at a time, or whatever size block you want to make, you can stack them up over time and sew together for a quilt later on.

Lafonda, Great job on putting the fabrics together and you did a 'wow' job on your quilting!! I'm impressed!

SharonG/FL

o

Thanks, everyone! You'll notice I didn't get real close on the back. It really isn't that pretty. I also need to work out how to quilt out defects in the top. On the free motion, I had a class a while back, and just jumped into it this time. I still need lots of practice.

o

Beautiful quilts!!!! Geraldine I love it!!! I can see how it would brighten up the room with our dreary weather we have had lately!!!
Lafonda great job, I wish I could take a class.
I am working on a Triple Irish chain, I'll post pics soon. The bug man is coming and I really need to corral some dust bunnies first lol!!!!!
Rosa

o

I love scrappy quilts so Geraldine yours is perfect. I didn't know that PS quilts had to be charm quilts, that makes it pretty hard. My one attempt at a charm was with 2" finished ( my favorite one). I would like to try a PS but could not repeat.
Lafonda, I like your sons quilt, the fact that it is the same block but they look so different is special to me. Your quilting is wonderful. Nice job and TFS. Jayne

o

That is a beautiful quilt and a wonderful example of how different a block can look using different color fabrics. Your quilting looks great too.

o

Great job Lafonda. You did a great job. Keep it up.

o

Geraldine I love your PS quilt. I will never do one of those.

Lafonda your quilt is also beautiful. I like how you used the different fabrics and best of all, your son loves it. The FM is very good too.

Geraldine when doing FM, I find using Spray Basting really helps to keep everything together and I also add a few pins. No puckers on the back.

o

Love2sew, thanks for the hint. I have only tried small blocks and pinned them around the outside. Someone suggested that I leave the feeddogs up. Has anyone tried this? I am going to give it a go next week. I have company coming for the weekend and the dust bunnies are calling.

~Geraldine

o

I had to put the Bono Log Cabin aside for a while,(heavy sigh). This Triple LC is for a lady that has had a really hard time. She has taken a child care program and this is her graduation gift. Please excuse the pics, it is so overcast I have the lights on. It has been this way for the last few days and will continue thru the weekend. No snow so I'm not complaining lol!!!!!!
Rosa
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Rosa, what a nice graduation gift for your friend. I like the colors. Is that a paisley for the lighter color? Paisleys have always been one of my favorite fabrics. They seem to go out of style and then make a comeback.
What are your plans for quilting the white areas?

~Geraldine

o

So that's what a postage stamp quilt looks like - how cool! It's really beautiful! Thanks for sharing. :-)

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Rosa, that's a lovely quilt, I'm sure your friend will be thrilled.

lafonda_ranch, your quilt is terrific! I can't believe it's only your 2nd quilt. I still can't do free motion.

Geraldine, I've never seen a postage stamp before. I really like it.

o

This is a combo of Jan. and Feb. The top was finished in Jan. but the quilting and binding were done this week. I do like repro fabrics and scrappies so this fits both.
Theresa
Photobucket

o

It's gorgeous Teresa!!! I like repro's and scrappies too. Geraldine it is peach paisley and the green has small peach flowers. Her choice of colors and hard to find this year. She wants soft so I'm just going with a simple diagonal pattern. The lady was having probs before but the economy has really hurt her and her family. Hopefully things will start getting better!
Rosa

o

Theresa, TFS. I like your quilt. You used lots of scraps and the chain effect is beautiful. I also like repros. I used to use them a lot but now they're hard to find in my area. When I was using them, I didn't know they were called reproduction fabrics. Way back when, someone on this forum asked about favorite fabrics and I described mine and that's how I learned that they were called reproduction fabrics. Do you notice that they very seldom have a white background? And they always look so soft and pretty.

~Geraldine

o

Good Sunday Morning.

Got my Crazy Coins top done yesterday plus got the binding hand turned to the back on last side of my Paper Chains quilt...it's the one with all different colors and a bit too 'loud' for me but it will be a gift. I will post pics later in the week.

Hope you all get to do some sewing today.

~Geraldine

o

Rosa, Your friend is going to be elated with this quilt! Peach is difficult for me to buy....it's either too orange or too pink. When I do find it, I buy it just because!

Theresa, I love your quilt! What a great way to use scraps!

SharonG/FL

o

I really enjoy seeing everyones work that they did. Such an inspiration to get going on projects! They are all lovely.

o

Sunny Lanes Feb 2011

This is the finished top from my beautiful birthday blocks from the Galaxy Stars last year.

o

o
Double post

Apologies for the double post! I was trying to edit the first one!

o

WoW! What beautiful work you Ladies do! It is truly an inspiration !

Still working on the mystery quilt although it has been reveal! Slowing up a bit after all these years.

TFS,
Gwen

o

What a beautiful Galaxy of Stars! The black makes those colors pop. The offset design really adds to it. Fantastic job.

Gwen, I copied the instructions for the mystery quilt and even cut some of the fabric but then got bogged down...I should try to get back to it but I've got many other WIPs to finish first.

~Geraldine

o

How long did it take to put this quilt together, Bozogardener?
It is stunning!!!

o

12 of them were birthday blocks from the Galaxy Stars group. I made four more of them, and the border. So, about 2 days? The block is "Sunny Lanes", by the way.

Thank you, nannykins and day2day!

o

Bozogardener..sorry about the mixup. I should have read more carefully......my bad.

But whatever its name, it is still a beautiful quilt. Something like the saying about a rose by any other name.

~Geraldine

o

Oh! What wonderful pictures! I do love that postage stamp, but I'll never make one, either. Wow! They are all lovely.

o

Oh you people have been busy!!! It's only Feb 8th, you know. LOL

Lafonda - I'm very impressed with your FMQ and with your project. That's a great pattern and really shows how switching the fabrics around changes the look of the block. Great project!

Sunny Lanes is a great pattern and one I've considered making a few times. Now that I see this completed quilt I might have to put it on my Bucket List.

All the quilts pictured are beautiful. Nice work!
Kate

o

Love looking at everyone's beautiful accomplishments! But you all are adding to my "someday list".

Here is my finished bargello that you all so kindly encouraged me to take those first steps on last month. Thank you for that! I am so glad I did. Some firsts with this one...first bargello, first mitered border, first bed size quilt totally pieced and quilted on my new sapphire. :)

Deanna
Photobucket

o

WOW!!!! Super job! I am jealous!

o

These quilts are just beautiful! I am so inspired by all of them.

Bozo, that Sunny Lanes is a different setting from mine, but WOW! I'd even be tempted to sew black into a quilt with that one! Your birthday group did a fabulous job with their blocks.

Deanna, your bargello is stunning!

o

Bozogardener, I love the colors in that quilt! And the design, too.

Deanna, I just might have to try a bargello. I love what you've done. Very nice!

It looks like some more quilts are added to my bucket list.

Robbi

o

Deanna, you did a great job for all those firsts. I like the use of the 'brights' border outside the dark border. A bargello is a pattern I want to try just to see if I can do it. Mine...if I ever do one.... would be a wall hanging. TFS.

~Geraldine

o

Deanna, that bargello is lovely!

o

The Sunny Lanes is gorgeous!!! Deanna you did a great job on the bargello, it is on my 'to do' list.
Rosa

o

This is great fun. Love seeing pic of everyones accomplishmenst. "Sunny lanes" was the perfect pattern to show off the BDBs. Does it call for 16 patches or could other blocks be used in the design? Love scrappy. Jayne

o

This pattern is called Paper Chains and it is from Quick Quilts. It's finally finished.
This is the 'loud' quilt which I did not enjoy working on but it used up some of my stash. This one will be another gift quilt.

Have a great day.

~Geraldine

Photobucket

o

I love the 'loud' colors! I like the pattern, too. Great job and lucky gift recipient.

Robbi

o

I am copying the picture and will add it to my to-do list. I make what I call chemo quilts, easy and quick, at least I hope it is.

o

Geraldine, I like the "loud" quilt. I am partial to loud stuff anyway!

Jayne, the pattern calls for squares, but I bet it would look neat with a 6" different block in the center!

o

Bozo, Awesome Sunny Lanes! A wonderful way to use up squares!!!!

Geraldine, Your Paper Chains is another way to use up the larger squares in our stashes. Great looking 'Chain' that I want to try!

SharonG/FL

o

I finished my Ocean Waves top!
Photobucket

The HSTs are 1" square; the top is 32". And there are 1,312 triangles!

Donna

o

Oh my goodness,Donna! I got tired just reading about the size and amount of HSTs. You girl, must have the patience of a saint. You should feel mighty proud to have accomplished this project.

Your quilt is beautiful. I like how the black border frames the inner area and the flurry of pinwheels are a perfect fit for the Ocean Waves pattern.

TFS.

~Geraldine

o

That's beautiful, Donna! The pinwheels really accentuate the waves pattern.

o

All I can say is "wow"! Makes me dizzy just thinking of all those 1" triangles. Nice job. Jayne

o

Thanks, everyone - the pattern is at Quiltville.com if you'd like to make one!

o

Beautiful, Donna! But my eyes crossed over when I read the size of those HST! Yikes!

Now I'm convinced an Ocean Waves should be on my bucket list!

Teresa

o

Donna great job! I can totally relate to all the triangles when I did the ocean waves variant. Mine is 98"! I'm not sure how many triangles, but it is up there.

Geraldine, I can see your quilt done in black and white. I may need to try it.

Rebecca

o

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

Thanks for the nice comments on the quilt.

I thought I might have gotten my Crazy Coins top quilted this past weekend but life got in the way. Hope to get it done sometime this week.

How is everyone doing with the sewing projects? Are you making much progress?

Have a great day. Say 'I love you' to your special people.

~Geraldine

o

Yesterday I finished quilting Bubble #3 quilt so all that is left is to do the binding. The stacked coins quilt is up on the design wall!

Teresa

o

Crazy Coins quilt is finished!! I was thinking about someone on here that was talking about a stacked coins quilt they are doing and mistakenly put that on the pic as the name. The 'coins' are a bit of a mixed bag from different projects, hence the 'crazy' title part. I didn't have enough of the green or red for the alternate strips so used both. They were the same fabric design but different colors. The piece you see hanging down under the bottom green strip is another quilt.

~Geraldine

Photobucket

o
Extra info

There's another red strip on the inside...can't see it in the pic.

~Geraldine

o

Donna, I cannot imagine making a quilt using HST that small! But it's beautiful!

Geraldine, Your Crazy Coins looks nice and bright. Good job on getting it completed! I have a Chinese Coins in the works but too many other things are taking precedence right now.

I just completed a top for a Project Linus Challenge and hope to get it sandwiched today. We were sent at least a yard of fabric in 2 or more pieces and were to make a quilt adding our own fabric as needed.

SharonG/FL

o

WOW...I feel like I hav been to a quilt show......
All these quilts are soooooo BEAUTIFUL !!!!!
bopeep

o

Anyone got new WIPs or finished projects to show before February,2011 is just a memory?

I've had some family responsibilities lately so haven't been around or done any sewing. Things are starting to ease up so I'm looking forward to getting back to my quilting in early March.

Hope you all have a great day.

~Geraldine

o

I finished quilting a graduation quilt I started last fall (Queen size!) and have to add the binding ... not sure if it will be finished before the end of February or not. I am amazed at how beautiful everyone's projects are!
Sue

o

this has been enjoyable to read....will you do this for March as well??

o

Totally enjoyed all your quilts. So far the only finished piece I have to show is the Runner I made with left over fabric from my snowman placemats. It will be used on my china cabinet.

X-mas runner

o

bloom, that is really nice! Hope you will show us more of your work.

Teresa

o

Really like the fabrics you used in you well done table runner. Nice job. Looking forword to more next mo. Jayne

o

Bloom, your runner is lovely. Nice fabrics...I bet the runner looks great on your china cabinet.The fabrics look somewhat like Thimbleberries fabrics......are they?

What is the pattern name? I have seen it before but either never knew or can't remember the pattern name. I've studied your pic but can't figure out how the squares are done to get the interlocked look.

TFS.

~Geraldine

o

The remaining fabric mostly has marked Moda fabrics. One print is by Sandy Gervais. I got the idea for the pattern from Blocks Galore, using one of their Borders...http://www.quilterscache.com/B/Borders.html

o

Love it, love it.

o

One finish (not quilting, but finished!)
Photobucket

And 2 tops done...still WIPs but at least they are getting closer:
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I wasn't sure I would get it done, but the binding and label are on & it is washed and ready for high school graduation day in May! It's queen sized & the back is black. I used a varigated thread on the top - kind of fun.
Sue

Amber's graduation quilt

o

Sue, that's really pretty! And done early, too!
Donna

o

Bloom, thanks for the information. I am going to check Marcia's site as soon as I finish here.

Msmeow, you have been busy! Nice projects. I'm glad you shared with us.

I like the sampler, especially the sailboat block. I like samplers like this because it's nice trying to guess how each block has meaning for the quilter or recipient.Sometimes it's difficult but some are easy. I was curious about the state block...Texas?? I looked at your profile which says you live in Florida so I'm assuming this is a gift quilt.

Sue, it's a lovely quilt. I like the pattern. You did a wonderful job with this.Did you choose the colors? They....particularly that yellow...sparkle against the black background. The recipient is sure to appreciate it. TFS.

~Geraldine

o

This is LindaOH's fault....all the blame is put on her for posting about Wonky Pinwheels! I have the blocks completed so this is a WIP.
Photobucket

SharonG/FL

o

Sharon...bright and beautiful!! Are the fabrics batiks? They look like they have a shimmer which gives the windmills extra movement.
They remind me of a topsy-turvy windy day. TFS.

~Geraldine

o

One more top finished this month!
Photobucket

o

What an inspiring array of quilts for February! Just under the wire, here is the finished Bubble quilt #3 - a Kaffe Fassett design that I really love, but am now done with for a while anyway.

Teresa

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

I am so far behind on checking out everyone's quilts!!

They are all such an inspiration! And how do you guys get so much done!

Here is a picture of one more UFO that I finished a few weeks ago. This is a QAYG pattern. It goes pretty quick and I enjoyed doing it. I also learned a lot on the way.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Robbi

o

Teresa.....done and delightful!! Looks so sweet.

I know it was lots of work as I remember you said you appliqued all the bubbles. You did a great job with it.

TFS.

Now on to March. I am having trouble with my internet connection so if someone wants to start the March thread, go ahead. I may or may not get back on...computer is being bratty and stubborn. DS thinks it's the connection and not the computer itself. Technician is coming today...hopefully...so we'll see what he says and does.

~Geraldine

o

Love them all. I have one in the works but may not get it done enough to post till March WIPs. Love your colors Robbi. And Teresa, yours are always a treat for the eye.

o

Robin, you must have posted while I was typing. Then I couldn't get back in ...the computer froze.

I like your QAYG quilt. It looks sunny and happy. I have done a baby quilt QAYG without using batting; just used blocks with a backing. It was way too stiff. Looks like yours was done by adding strips to the backing/batting and sewing them on as you went. I made the block, pinned the block and backing and quilted it.
My big problem was adding the sashings. I got it finished but not without some frustration.

Thanks for sharing with us.

~Geraldine

o

Geraldine,

The QAYG is from a pattern that they taught at our LQS. It's from the "Fun and Done" series. This doesn't have any sashing and I can see where that would be a problem. In fact, I'm doing another BOM quilt (Stitcher's Garden) that is constructed differently, but each block has batting put on it and quilted before the applique is done. They you add borders so there is no batting on the borders and sashing. A lady at the quilt shop said she went ahead and put another layer of batting and did more quilting to sandwich the whole thing together. She said she really didn't notice where the second layer was. I'm trying to use a thin batting, so hopefully, I'll have similar results?

o

Thanks Robin.
I thought that your blocks were 'framed' with a sashing. After a closer look at the back, I can see that what I thought was sashings is really part of the block. Is that right?

So how did you join the seam areas on the back? (not sure if I'm explaining that clearly)

I'm going to have to check out fun and done quilts.

~Geraldine

o

This has been a great way to showcase everyone's projects.
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful work - such inspiration. Your quilts are beautiful!

I will post in March - I am still having problems posting on my main computer, so I have to use another computer to comment or post pictures.

o

I really enjoyed looking at everyone's beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Best to you,
Sandra

o

Geraldine,

The Fun and Done has a template you can use for cutting and placement/arrangement for each block. (I bought it because it was much easier than to measure all the squares.) The batting is cut about 1" smaller than the backing square and centered on the backing fabric. The strips are sewn directly to the backing and batting. Then you trim the strips down to match the batting size. You will end up with a block where the backing is 1" bigger around than the batting and front fabrics. Sew the blocks together close to the 1" seam so that the raw edges are facing up (your batting will all be next to each other, so no batting gaps). Then turn under that seam to create what looks like sashing and sew it down. You first assemble a row, then put the rows together in the same manner. The tricky part to the whole thing is starting and stopping your seams so they only show where you want them. For instance, when you are sewing down the top strips , if you sew into the 1" backing fabric, that seam will show when you put the blocks together for a row. I used a contrasting thread, so that made mine a little more difficult.

I've probably not explained this very well, but I'll try to answer any questions if you have any.

Robbi

o

Thanks Robbi. I'm sorry I got your name wrong before.

I found a tute on Fun and Done and that helped too. So, the backing is brought to the front and used as a sashing. COOL!!

Have a great day.

~Geraldine

Here is a link that might be useful: Fun and Done tute

o

Thanks, Geraldine. Pictures sure do help on that explanation. There are various patterns you can use with that template, so I'm sure I'll do another one eventually.

Robbi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here