Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

New look

grammyp
11 years ago

I wake up this morning and everything has changed. Not sure I like the new look.

beverly

Comments (30)

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Yes, it is new...and a little discombobulating! (is that a word?)

Trying my best to be open to change...
    Gwen

• lola99
    11 years ago

The way the posts are centered makes them look more like poems.

I find it a little more difficult to read posts quickly. As Gwen said, trying to be open to change...

Lola

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I love the new look!
    GW is making changes, hopefully to enhance the site.
    Looks like the team has already worked out a few bugs earlier this morning.
    I am optimistic we will still have the ability to block out the ads and flashing and underlines.
    Overall nice changes, so far.

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

I love it! Font is so sharp and spacing makes it very easy to read. Great overall look IMHO.

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Boy I'm glad it isn't just me. I thought I was having eye problems.!

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

If you look under Tools & Resources pull down tab above they now have a Members Pages link that you can click on - I so love this new short cut. Thank you GW management!! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• colleenny
    11 years ago

I like the new look. Everything looks really clear.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Whew! I thought my eyes were doing a number on me. sigh..... heh heh heh....I have my font so large I didn't even know there were ads as they're off to the side all covered up. LOL

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    11 years ago

I think I like it, too. Just wish the annoying ads could go away, especially the ones that expand & contract.

Donna

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

I love the new look.

If the ads bother you, use Firefox as your browser, and download AdBlock Plus (free).

I NEVER see ads.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

I've gotten pretty used to ignoring ads on various sites. The new look is ok. Like some of you, I find age makes accepting change trickier :-) Had no problem with the old look, but if this works, so be it.
    LindaB/CA

• Kristene Smith
    11 years ago

I too wondered if I was on the correct site. But it looks fresh and clean. Time brings lots of changes and in time we'll also get used to it.

Kristene

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

So far I like it. It appears easier to use but I sort of go with the flow of things. Not sure of what all the changes may be.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

So far I like it. It appears easier to use but I sort of go with the flow of things. Not sure of what all the changes may be.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Mary, I've used Firefox for a long time and still have the ads here. I'll have to try adding Ad Block, too.
    Donna

• petalpatsy
    11 years ago

I can get used to anything, but it seems like I have an extraordinary amount of white space. Maybe I have an Ad Block and didn't know it.

• day2day
    11 years ago

What was that TV commercial from way back..."I like it too"
    The site looks crisp and fresh.

I have Firefox and don't get the ads.

Hope everyone has a good day.

~Geraldine
    p.s....I see TV ads but, later on, for a lot of them, I can never remember what they were advertising. Anyone else like that?

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Geraldine, I think it was Irish Spring, but I'm the same about not recalling what the ad was for. I often wonder what some of these advertising people are on! So hard to make a connection between the ad and the product.

• jackier123
    11 years ago

I think there is way too much white. It is very hard on the eyes.

• jackier123
    11 years ago

I think there is way too much white. It is very hard on the eyes.

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

I'm not sure that age has anything to do with readiness to accept changes... I'm 29 and I don't like the new look. I have been reading and/or participating in Gardenweb forums for at least 10 years now and the old design was familiar and there is a comfort that comes with familiarity. I will get used to it I'm sure, and like you all am trying to be open minded about accepting changes... no other choice really :o)

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Vacuum freak is right on...we all get comfortable with things familiar and change is difficult for most people. As we mature (PC) it can be more challenging to accept change because...let's admit it, it takes a little longer for the brain cells to process the new way. By the time we all get super comfy with this, a new style will be introduced and we'll all be having the same conversation again!
    V.

• jackier123
    11 years ago

My issue is not with the change as much as the color. I am a computer person by trade, and one of the first things learned is that white backgrounds are hard on the eyes. White or black backgrounds cause tunnel vision much like the old green screens of years ago.

Jackie

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

everything is ok except the light blue fonts very hard to read

• fran1523
    11 years ago

I like the new look....it's clean and crisp looking.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I'm with jackier123...........too much white and wide, open spaces and the actual field for communication is smaller, almost like an afterthought. I find it distracting. It's a 'prettier' format, but less functional and I've always be a form after function person. I get a chuckle from the motto 'change is good'. Change is neutral and change just for the sake of change is unproductive. It should be purpose driven and I'm assuming this one is only not for the viewer's benefit.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Yes! too much white and wide space at the right. But that leaves room for all the ads.
    It will take some getting used to.
    Theresa

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

From the GW Exciting News message above:

Update: 2.12.2013

Thank you for all of your helpful and constructive feedback. We are currently working on the following updates/issues:

- Softening the page display on the message forum pages. This includes color and font weight changes.

- Photos and text overlapping into the advertisement area.

- Mac/Safari layout issues.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Not bashing the staff at GW, the change is not so far removed from good I'd complain. Their intention however is not a warm/fuzzy to their customers (we are not their profit generator, the sponsor is). They are concerned with making the site so attractive and functional to us they will retain the original readers and attract new ones. Most of us on this forum are old regulars and committed to our site so much we will grin and bear changes and come back anyway. Not so a new user, so if we don't like the changes and believe them to be off-putting, we don't do them any good turn by witholding our opinions. I like media who are responsive to their viewers, and some aren't. HGTV did a one-eighty about a decade ago in an attempt to attract a new demographic and totally ignored the feedback of their faithful audience and lost a lot of viewers. Chuckle as well about older people being resistant to change......We are more flexible than anybody gives us credit. The world has changed immensely since our childhood and the fact we are on here in front of a computer speaks to the fact we change and accept what is functional or necessary too. But change isn't automatically good, we just have enough sense and experience to know it. ;-)

• calliope
    11 years ago

Not on this forum, but others on GW, I notice that the white cloud area is the place where they flash a preview type add and the page does not load until the java does its thing and you watch the whole little trailer as a captive audience. I don't mind some ads, I even read some of them if I'm interested, but one designed to make you sit there and watch it before content is shown is tacky.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling