Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 15-17

lindaoh_gw
11 years ago

I haven't been very productive this week. I did finish two blocks for the Relay for Life quilt that my small group is making.
I found a kit that I bought several years ago. It is plaid homespun and lots of triangles. I started sewing it yesterday. My plans for the weekend are to continue working on this quilt.
Are you quilting this weekend?
Linda OH

This post was edited by lindaoh on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 9:51

Comments (29)

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

I like the block. Don't remember having seen this one before. Bet it's great when set together too.
    LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Guess I'll miss both the quilting class I had scheduled for tomorrow and anything else for a few days. Pulled my back Monday changing sheets before leaving on a trip.

The flexeril is making me too dopey to even sit here :(

• polardream
    11 years ago

No quilting for me, either! I am going on a scrapbooking retreat with friends. I guess that is "quilting" in another form - cutting up pieces and putting back together.

Lindaoh - love the square! I always get nervous working with plaids - I am afraid they won't look "square" when I cut them. Yours looks great!

Linda, take care! Maybe by tomorrow you back will be feeling better.

Sue

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Hen, I hope you feel better soon! Take it easy.

I hope I can get some sewing in, but I still have a pile of guild stuff book work that needs doing.

Monday I'm off for Pres. Day but am taking my mom to visit some assisted living facilities.

Donna

• Robbi D.
    11 years ago

I have some embroidery projects I want to get done to see for Easter, so those are at the top of my list. I have lots of other sewing on that list, too. Hopefully I'll get to some of it.

I only saw my dh for about an hour yesterday, so we are celebrating Valentines' Day together tonight!! Then a whole day of sewing tomorrow!!

Robbi

• cindykg23
    11 years ago

After breakfast out w/my mom, I hope to sew pretty much all day Sat. Maybe Sun eve after an out of town soccer game.

At the moment, all my quilting projects are WIPs that I still have - & some inherited. I'm just SO lucky! Hmm...

~Cindy

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Hope everyone has a good weekend quilting.

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 16:16

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Linda/OH...I'm like Sue and usually shy away from plaids..for the same reason! But like she said, your's look great!

LindaB..Sorry to hear about your back. I'm sure most of us can feel for you. I think it's amazing that just a little turn or bend can make us hurt so bad. Hope you're better soon.

Not sure what I'll get done this week-end. Have been working on a couple of QOV quilts. One is ready for a border (don't know the name of the pattern) and the other one is Bonnie's Scrappy Trips Around the World using red/white/blue keeping the colors constant but not the fabric. I need about 8 more blocks for that one so will probably work on that. It's easy to feel the seams nestle together.

SharonG/FL

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I just put some postcards in the mail for a swap group. I hope to get a start on some BOMs from my guild and get a couple of small tops ready to longarm quilt on Wed.

Here are the postcards I sent out.

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Linda, I can certainly empathize with you! I've thrown my back out a couple of times and it is pure agony. One time I took a Flexeril and went to work... I didn't know I was dopey, but everyone told me the next day that I was in slow motion! One time I was bedridden for 4 days until I discovered a magical thing called a TENS unit.... Hope your pain is ephemeral!

I will be working on a paper piecing and applique project tomorrow. There's also a home based sewing studio that I just learned about in the area and I've never been before. I talked with the owner today and we had a lovely talk. She has classes, groups, fabric, notions, and machines on consignment.... this could be a dangerous discovery for me!

I found a great way to remember machine settings if you have a machine like me that resets to default every time you turn it off... I didn't want to have my applique look funny when I resumed sewing the next time with different sized stitches, and I knew I'd lose a paper note, so I snapped a picture of the screen with my phone.... I never lose that. ;o)

Have a great weekend everyone!

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Thank you for the well wishes. It's slowly moving on since two days of chiro and drugs.

Forgot to mention in my last post how much I like the post cards tuppermom.
    LindaB/CA

• nannykins
    11 years ago

There were 19 blocks in the Jan. Lotto. To make a 4x5 quilt, I needed one more so that is what I just did. Next comes layout.
    But first, an episode of Downton Abbey.
    Theresa

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Bobby, that sounds like a lot of fun!! My dh is a massage therapist and the TENS units do work very well.

LindaOH, I love the block, I shy away from plaids too, but I started to collect some to try.

LindaB, hope you are better soon. The few times I have had back problems were horrible.

TM, I love the postcards! Can you give a site or book for the flowers???

I am trying to finish a charity quilt and knitting an afghan for a birthday gift. We are dropping into the 20's this weekend after having beautiful spring weather for about a month. My plants are so confused!
    Rosa

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Thanks! I am really enjoying the postcard swap.
    Rosa, the flowers are my creativity! I use tiny yoyos that I make with beads and metal spacer for jewelry making. I also use the leaves and petals from fake flowers and just play The white flowers on the tulip card are prepackaged flowers that are used for fancy dresses. I do have some Clover flower makers that make little flowers like that but haven't used them yet.

Mary

• calliope
    11 years ago

So far, just two stretches of hand binding on my pink crazy quilt. I don't want machine stitching showing, so basted them down by machine and release the machine stitching a bit at a time, as I replace it with hand work. It's boring, but easy. Yesterday I watched my 3-YO grandson. What a lovely and fun day, but one does not get any quilting down with a busy and precocious little man who thinks napping is a dirt word. He opened my freezer to look for the popsicles grammy keeps for him in summer, and evidently didn't shut the door and I heard the compressor groaning this morning and the inside iced over worse than it was when I left the door ajar. LOL. So after doing a few loads in the wringer I had to empty the freezer and thaw it out and wash it and repack it. So the sewing I was planning to do this afternoon didn't pan out. It needed done anyway, and a day with my sweet baboo was worth it.

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Sounds like everyone is having a busy weekend. I worked all day Fri, then Sat am. The grands are here this weekend, so not much sewing for me. I did get the label made and put on for DDs silent auction quilt and will get the binding on tonight after the boys go home.

We will take a short hike this afternoon (if it warms up a bit more, it is still below freezing right now).

beverly

• grammyp
    11 years ago

Sounds like everyone is having a busy weekend. I worked all day Fri, then Sat am. The grands are here this weekend, so not much sewing for me. I did get the label made and put on for DDs silent auction quilt and will get the binding on tonight after the boys go home.

We will take a short hike this afternoon (if it warms up a bit more, it is still below freezing right now).

beverly

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I finished by DD's quilt yesterday. It's nothing fancy, but exactly what she wanted.

After a short snooze, I'll start the back of DD2's wall hanging. After a cloudy week, I'm really enjoying the sunshine today. I hope everyone has some sunshine in their lives today, too.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

There should have been a photo with my last post. Trying again.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I made a couple more postcards for a guild swap and pulled out the fabric for quilt backs for quilting on wednesday but now will not be quilting.
    I received bad news this morning. My good friend Lee passed away last night. She was diagnosed with stomach cancer in Nov and was undergoing chemo treatments. When I last spoke to her she was coping but didn't have much of an appetite. At this point, I am not sure what happened. I didn't want to bother the family today. I will cook something and take it over tomorrow. Her funeral service is on Wed. We live fairly close (as close as you can be in the country) and joined the guild at the same time 6 years ago so took turns driving. We also served as Librarians together for 4 years. I am really going to miss her.

• lola99
    11 years ago

Mary, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like you and she had some really nice times together. You are in my prayers, along with Lee's family.

• cindykg23
    11 years ago

Mary,

You & your friend's family are in my prayers. Our girlfriends are very important to us, & it is so hard when we lose them. I'm sure she will always be a part of you.

~ Cindy

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Mary, Sorry to hear about your friend. May you find comfort in remembering the enjoyable times of her company.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Mary, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend...my heart goes out to you and her family. It's never easy to lose someone.
    V.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

(((Mary)))
    Prayers for you and yours. Thanks for explaining the beautiful flowers.
    Rosa

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Well I'm just plain bummed. I got fabric cut, applique patterns cut out and ironed on other pieces and started my Saturday "sitting" job with my newest bed quilt project that had some applique on it, my favorite to do. I was just so pleased I'd found the perfect color and came home with two sample blocks done.

I put them up on the design wall and stood back - and they look awful. So, I spent the morning organizing all that into a package to go in a drawer. I'm a bit at odds now so will just work on lotto block samples to cover March and April. At least that is working out well and I like them.

I guess it's time to drag out the UFOs. I'm off to Oregon for a week this Thurs. so that might get me new visions, along with a stop along the way at a favorite shop.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

So I wasn't the only one having an off weekend.
    Must be the stars are out of alignment. At least we can blame them.
    Theresa

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your hugs and good thoughts.
    I talked to Lee's husband today and it was her heart....very fast and very sudden.

Mary

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

tuppermom, so very sorry to hear of your friend's passing. For her at least, I'm sure quick was best. Those remaining probably don't agree. I hope good memories of her soon fill in the sadness of family and friends.

Toolgranny, What a bummer! Maybe another day they'll look better?

I got out a quilt top I started for my daughter that she didn't like. I was crushed and then lately got it out and kind of agree with her. I'm trying to think of something I could do to it to make it better. I used mostly stash and a pretty dark batik as the border (integrated into the quilt, so not removable) and I have to admit it's pretty busy! Thought I might try to paint on it with dye a little to add contrast to the border.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living