Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

Retreat Question??

jennifer_in_va
10 years ago

I have a question for all those that may plan on coming to October's Retreat...

[honest answers, pls]

Instead of doing our own little gifties for everyone, would you be interested in giving homemade ornaments instead? (doesn't have to be fabric or quilt related if you didn't want) Everyone would make one ornament for each of the other retreaters, and you'd maybe take home 15-20 different ornaments depending on the number of retreaters.

Thoughts? If this isn't your 'thing', please speak up. I want everyone to be involved and get something nice to take home.

Jen

Comments (21)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Not my thing, sorry. It gets to be so hard to make all those things before retreat and I might just have to buy fat quarters this year or find some other special thing I can buy.

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Not really my thing either. I like making things for retreat but I have enough Christmas ornaments for decorate a third world country. :)

• grammyp
    10 years ago

I don't think that many ornaments would be my thing either. It might be nice to bring one pin cushion and have a random exchange.

beverly

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I love the pincushion idea and just bringing one thing for a swap. Much less work but we would still have a nice souvenir. The maker's name should be on it as well.

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Not my thing either -- sorry.
    I like the idea of keeping it simple & making (or bringing) one small sewing item for an exchange - that way, no matter how many Campers attend, we have just the right number to bring. Less stress :~) for everyone.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay. Thanks for the feedback.

So are you saying everyone makes a pin cushion and we swap that? Or we swap some other item and do something different with the pin cushion??

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I'm a little late but I'll chime in too. I already have more ornaments than I can fit on my trees so I would pass on that. But... I love the pincushion exchange idea! Or an ornament exchange, so I only had to make one and bring home one. I would even be OK with one pincushion AND one ornament for two exchanges.

Kate

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Late coming to this party...but I will ditto Jackie, more ornaments than I know what to do with (so they stay packed all year, even during the holidays!)
    I like the idea of bringing one item-perhaps we could do another chinese gift exchange...that was fun! I do have lots of pin cushions, two from last year alone ...not sure about another.
    Jen...I'm happy to donate some of my extra ornaments for your tree(s)!
    V.

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I'd vote on the gift exchange only and if it includes a pincushion or some fat quarters, all would be okay with me. It would be handier for those of us who fly to only have to bring one gift.

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

I LOVE the idea of a pincushion swap. Or a 'quilty item' swap. One of those ones where you 'steal' someone else's, they usually end up being a lot of fun. (We call them Yankee Swaps, but I don't want to offend anyone) (^_-)

Can't wait :)

• amazingcm
    10 years ago

Has a date been set yet for the retreat? I might be able to make it after May. Sounds like so much fun have wanted to go for years.. grace

• polardream
    10 years ago

I'm late to the party, too, but my vote would be NO to the ornaments. We often don't even put a tree up since we travel over the holidays.

I like the idea of one pincushion exchange, or fat quarters.

Also, I'm with Grace - has the date been set??

Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Link posted below:

2014 Camp Cheerio Quilt Retreat will be Oct 9-12, 2014 (Columbus Day-US, Thanksgiving-Canada)

Mark it on your calendars now! I may need to collect deposits early in 2014...Jim may be doing things a little differently than Shane. I'll keep you all posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mark Your Calendars

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Sorry, double post

This post was edited by geezerfolks on Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 19:32

• anitastitch
    10 years ago

Even though I'm not attending the retreat, I'd like to share an idea that my quilting group does every year during our all day National Quilting Day. Each of us brings either a newly bought (nothing expensive--a pack of fat quarters or something) OR something from our own studio having to do with sewing--like maybe a yard of fabric you bought but changed your mind about, or a quilting book or pattern--anything sewing related. Sometimes one gal's trash is another gal's treasure. All items should be wrapped because we have a Chinese auction.
    It's a lot of fun and a nice way to unload and/or rescue some unwanted sewing things.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sharon for reposting the Retreat Dates!! Save them now!

I think we'll go with the Chinese Exchange (steal & swap) using some item quilting/sewing related. Re-gifting is okay here, if there's something you have received but will never use. It could be a gift item, useful tool/ruler, book, fabric, etc. That is up to you. We'll try for the $10-15 range, but if it's being re-gifted then it doesn't matter. Ott lights would probably not be in the right price range!

So each camper will only need to bring one gift!

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Sounds good Jen...thanks for asking!
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Plus, there's always the give-away, I'm-not-taking-this-back-home table. :-)

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

All of that sounds good to me. I'm like many others. I have way too many Christmas tree ornaments.
    Jeanne

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

I like the idea of the White Elephant exchange where we each contribute one item to the gift exchange and the gifts can change hands many times before the #1 player gets her final choice. The price range sounds good too.

Bringing a gift for everyone can be challenging and costly. But I don't need tree ornaments either.

Teresa

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I hope to unload again on you guys this year. Maybe not as many magazines but I have some other stuff too LOL